Heritage Owners Club

Incoming OX Amp Top Box

Steiner

Many of the songs I enjoy include a sizzling guitar, often at low volume, in the background; e.g. China Grove.  I’ve been looking for a way to reproduce that background sound in the company of others.  Getting to the level where sizzle and big iron punch both bloom comes with high volume which circumvents group playing.  I also cohabitate with others.  While they’re polite about the volume, I know there is a point where it becomes obtrusive; I don’t wish to cross the line.  I believe this dichotomy is intrinsic to all guitarists.  Here is my latest approach at a solution.

I’ve been quite disillusioned with the sound coming from static load attenuators.  I have a couple THD models; while not cheap, I don’t care for the results.  I have a few 100W amps that really don’t give up the goods until their cranked.  The THD restrict the amp’s personality when cranked.  As I kept my ear to the rail for Something that doesn’t choke the amp’s personality, I discovered the OX.

The OX has dynamic load that is supposed to behave like a speaker cab would at different volume levels.  I’ve done a lot or reading about this unit.  While aware of marketing hype, I don’t encounter the pushback in forums.  I haven’t found many used units for sale – the two or three I see are within 15% of MSRP.  While I only have crappy computer speakers and ear buds, I hear blossoming of the overtones that excites me.  I also see experienced players floored when trying it and an honest smile while putting it through the paces.  So, I now await my opportunity to explore and experience.

Just to muddy up the water a bit; I’m still considering a Fryette Power Station.  I haven’t decided on the PS-2 or (about to be released) PS-100.  Again, it’s all about natural attenuation; getting the goods without cracking plaster or nose bleeds.

Has anyone here tried the OX or PS unit?  Are they that different or am I headed down another rabbit hole?

@big bob- I considered this.  There are a lot of moving parts.  Amp -> ISO cab -> mic -> board -> monitors.  The OX will allow the same results without the ISO cab and mic(s).  It has (digital - not sure how I feel about this) mics both on a simulated cab and for the room, compressor and reverb.  It'll be a while before I tie into all that; mostly because I'm primarily interested in lowering the volume without coloring the amp's output.  The OX's mics, cabs, compressor and reverb are available only through line level output, not the speaker cab connection.

To use an ISO cab and output to a guitar cab is beyond my wheelhouse.  I believe it requires: Amp -> ISO cab -> mic -> board -> Amp -> guitar cab, so amp 1 becomes a fancy preamp - woof!

For the time being I plan to use: Amp -> OX -> Speaker Cab.  Just a small fraction of the OX's capabilities.  If it's as good as hyped, I'll be in 7th heaven.

Let me know if I fubared the setup.  Thank you for your help!

UA OX Box, Fryette are good choices I think
I'm not comfortable thinking to use the speaker cab emulator with the OX Box but I think there's the risk to seriously appreciate it
?

2 hours ago, Gianluca said:

UA OX Box, Fryette are good choices I think
I'm not comfortable thinking to use the speaker cab emulator with the OX Box but I think there's the risk to seriously appreciate it
?

The OX presets are something I aspire to learn.  I've cranked the SLO through it.  All I can say is: it's a good life!

31 minutes ago, Millennium Maestro said:

What sayeth the boss!

PWXYpyX.mp4

What's on a stick!?...

BARK!

Good boy.

Steiner, I've played through an OX.  Good friend of mine has one in his studio, and he often takes it to his apartment.  He also tours a lot, clubs in a wide range of sizes, some pretty small, with a Two Rock.  You know that's a robust amp, even through a 1x12 cabinet.  I haven't heard the OX in any application wherein it didn't sound great.  I mean really marvelous. Daniel (not Rockabilly), is a gear hound of the first order who's owned or used almost everything absolutely swears by the OX.  Not inexpensive, for sure, but they are a marvel!

What deep, dark hole have I entered?  There are far more buttons, knobs and switches than I’ll ever learn.  As I study the OX’s effects and capabilities, I see there are far more nuances to be controlled; for example, the speaker drive can be adjusted from brand new tighter and thicker attack with more bottom end all the way to soft and spongy with more breakup.  ”At higher ranges, breakup is more obvious, with crumbling of the lows and smearing of the highs as the speaker is pushed harder. At the highest ranges, the speaker approaches end of life: weaker, looser, darker, and sub-octave notes (cone cry) may be apparent with certain note/cab combinations.  I can’t see altering this for quite some time, but it’s there.

The eloquence is that immediately after plugging it in and turning one attenuation knob, I had a brand-new collection of amps!  All of the 100W behemoths here offered the goods normally reserved for high-volume, backyard, let’s piss-off the neighbors practice.  The speaker output is attenuated only; no other effects, so it’s simply the guitar and amp.  Am I happy?  YES!

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I’ll be able to make some comparisons when we do a side by side with my incoming Boss Waza Craft Tube Expander....

The Waza appears, from my cursory overview, to be on par with the OX.  I say we line some amps up and give her a whirl!

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

We’ll test out audible differences is high quality vs. cheap headphones too....

I have a couple sub $100 pair here i use when mowing the lawn.  I'll wait 'till Black Friday to order a good (sub $200) pair.

Here Bunny!!!

On 11/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, Steiner said:

I have a couple sub $100 pair here i use when mowing the lawn.  I'll wait 'till Black Friday to order a good (sub $200) pair.

Here Bunny!!!

Got my toys in the mail today.  Sadly, I probably won't be able to use them until Saturday!  UGH!  The Torment!

3 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Got my toys in the mail today.  Sadly, I probably won't be able to use them until Saturday!  UGH!  The Torment!

Excellent.  I'm REALLY looking forward to this!  We have our work cut out for us.

Work, work, work...  Hello boys, miss me?

On 11/25/2019 at 12:00 AM, 212Mavguy said:

Exciting to hear, you wascally wabbits!   Here's to finding new ah,  dark holes!  Nothing like a getting on a bit of strange!  Hahahaha! 

Strange is good! and this is good strange :)

On 11/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, DetroitBlues said:

I’ve experimented for years with only guitar -> cable -> amp.  I mixed up guitars, pickups and amps believing volume and the TMB would get me there.  Sure, a screaming amp has tremendous degrees of fun but there’s still that wall I never got past.  Now I get it.  Those sweet luscious sounds come from more than just the amp.  I never realized how a little compression, reverb, delay and simple EQ can wake up an amp – and how deep the sound is impregnated into rock & Roll. 

Having spent the past couple days with the OX, I’d venture to say this feels like training wheels on a Harley.  Most of the presets are marvelous.  In as much, the unit also functions as an autonomous driver.  It’s fun to change preset and have another wonderous sound – in that way, it keeps you in the fast lane.

I’m still a blind dog, searching for a bone.  Now that I’ve discovered some, my fervor has drastically increased.  Thus far, I’ve stuck with the factory presets – most are glorious.  Soon I’ll begin altering settings in order to learn how to control them.  Who knows, I may even invest in pedals.  Who knew?

I have to mention the Boss WAZA.  On Saturday I was visited by two well stocked musicians who graciously provided me my first look at the WAZA.  Being complete nubes, DBlues and I, didn’t have the understanding to put it through all its paces.  Boss put a lot of thought and features in the WAZA.  It has an input for pedalboard and midi capability allowing for augmentation and/or switching of WAZA presets, amp channels/effects plus an effects loop in either parallel or series; the OX doesn’t.  The feature that I’m most impressed with is that the WAZA will output its effects to a speaker cab; the OX doesn’t.  For the OX, it’s only front of house (FOH) or headphones - no effects make it to the cab.  The WAZA is also an amp so, if you’re inclined, you can boost the output level of smaller amps to the speaker cab and keep up with a heavy fisted drummer.

Where do I go?  There’s still a LOT to learn on the OX.  It makes the amps sound better than ever - like they should.  I’m still considering either a Fryette PS-100 or WAZA.  The primary difference being SS (WAZA) vs tube (Fryette) re-amping.  Honestly, in this case, I’m leaning toward the WAZA, assuming the SS re-amping may be more neutral.  It’ll depend on which has better effects and re-amping.

I know the OX is here to stay!

6 hours ago, Steiner said:

I have to mention the Boss WAZA.  On Saturday I was visited by two well stocked musicians who graciously provided me my first look at the WAZA.  Being complete nubes, DBlues and I, didn’t have the understanding to put it through all its paces.  Boss put a lot of thought and features in the WAZA.  It has an input for pedalboard and midi capability allowing for augmentation and/or switching of WAZA presets, amp channels/effects plus an effects loop in either parallel or series; the OX doesn’t.  The feature that I’m most impressed with is that the WAZA will output its effects to a speaker cab; the OX doesn’t.  For the OX, it’s only front of house (FOH) or headphones - no effects make it to the cab.  The WAZA is also an amp so, if you’re inclined, you can boost the output level of smaller amps to the speaker cab and keep up with a heavy fisted drummer.

I'm sold.

https://www.boss.info/us/promos/waza_amplifier/ 

On 11/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, DetroitBlues said:

I’ll be able to make some comparisons when we do a side by side with my incoming Boss Waza Craft Tube Expander....

You really got one of these coming? Expensive devils they are!

4 minutes ago, Steiner said:

WAZA the matter with youse guys?

WAZA Tube Amp Expander

https://www.boss.info/global/products/waza_tube_amp_expander/

Pretty cool technology! 

Archived