Heritage Owners Club

Where are you guys finding your tubes lately??

Hfan

I've bought from both TubesAneMore (Antique Electronic Supply) and The Tube Store.   Never had a problem with either.   Both have a decent selection.   I also got a bunch of preamp tubes from Mojotone when I was at the Spartanburg guitar show a few years ago.   

I've used Tungsol reisssues and TAD  for my latest 6L6 and 6V6s.   I had some JJ 6V6s but they got microphonic after a couple of years..   

The last tubes I bought were from Guitar Center, Mullard EL34 Groove Tubes. But I'm not sure I'll do that again since I have a lot of Mesa amps now and I intend on sticking with MEsa tubes for those if I ever need any. My PRS Archon amp came with 6L6 Ruby tubes but I only replaced them because I was chasing unicorns. At the time I had never heard of them but as it turns out, I think they are probably pretty good. Sweetwater is probably a very safe bet for finding good tubes.

Amplified Parts.  I just placed another order and found their price was better than the tube store for what I was getting.  Just bought a pair of Tung-sol 6v6 and an RCA 5y3.  There's a surprising number of places on line to buy tubes.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/

I get tubes through my amp guy.  He stocks JJ's, and he tests every tube before selling it.  He also has an extensive selection of vintage glass.  One of life's great pleasures (yeah, it's come down to this, in my sunset years) is to take an amp to Dale's and go "tube mining."  He brings out a bunch of vintage tubes, and I just plug and play, taking notes, until I figure out what I like.

52 minutes ago, yoslate said:

I get tubes through my amp guy.  He stocks JJ's, and he tests every tube before selling it.  He also has an extensive selection of vintage glass.  One of life's great pleasures (yeah, it's come down to this, in my sunset years) is to take an amp to Dale's and go "tube mining."  He brings out a bunch of vintage tubes, and I just plug and play, taking notes, until I figure out what I like.

Hey brother Rob, does your amp dude have one of these?

image.png.989df0f1f84902a4d2e718ace5cb3c06.png

15 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Hey brother Rob, does your amp dude have one of these?

image.png.989df0f1f84902a4d2e718ace5cb3c06.png

Heh....  Not nearly that retro-cool, Tim!  I don't remember the details, but he bought a new version of a tube tester that he really likes.  I'll get some details next time I'm over there. One of the real benefits of having Dale in the "inner circle" is that, in addition to being a brilliant builder, he's a Scotch fan.  I regularly take things I'm working on over around closing time for a listening session, lubricated with single-malt.  Tough life....    

On 11/25/2019 at 6:07 PM, yoslate said:

Lucky to have that resource. You've always seemed to have cool places to play and hang out in your neck of the woods.

I may consider some NOS or used old stock at some point. If memory serves I've used Doug's in the past.

Thanks for the tips guys.

It's been a while, have a decent collection of vintage old stock tubes from eBay, you will never find me using new production tubes in my amps, FWIW.  Old stuff is a night and day difference.  I know a couple great sellers on eBay.  Not planning on selling any of mine for a few more years.   Stocked up well for el34, 6l6 variant 6bg6ga, 6550, 6v6, 5751, 12at7, and especially 12ax7.

1 hour ago, HANGAR18 said:

Well, I'm not from England so I have tubes in my amps and not valves. :P

I have transistors. They don't wear out. This is almost 2020 you know. 

The gear page has a list of "tube dealers" up, and it all depends on whether you want New production Tubes or Old production tubes.

There are a few guys who specialize in tested used pulls, and i've been very happy with old production tubes from them.

I've also got so many tubse now that I pretty much won't need any for years/decades/etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember having to replace tubes about once every five years in my old fenders back in the day. Now they tend to fart out or go microphonic within a year. I have been using tube depot.com lately. I heard about using NOS Telefunken’s  in the Phase Inverter spot but they were really expensive. So I found a new Telefunken and it was also a lot. I then found out that the new ones were re-branded JJ gold pins which were half the price. Now all of my amps are sporting them in the PI spot

I gotta be honest, I don't know. lol. I get them through a friend of mine that works for Orange. He's an amp tech for them. I'm not getting them from Orange stock. He just has his guy that he gets NOS from. I only have one tube amp now and the tubes that are in it are likely to have a longer life than me. 

I go here: https://www.kcanostubes.com or here: http://www.audiotubes.com/fender.htm

I have never had a problem with either one. I buy NOS tubes mostly because of the durability. I had a set of JAN Phillips 6v6 tubes that went 10 years in a Carr amp. I replaced them with new Tungsol tubes and got just over a year. In the end they are cost effective. I use a class A amp a lot so I can buy single odd tubes and it save a bit of cash there. I also don’t think great tone only comes from big $$$ stuff like RCA tubes. There are alternatives that are half the cost and sound great or real RCA tubes that are relabeled. http://www.audiotubes.com/fender.htm has a section of “but ugly” tubes and they are cheap and perfect for good cost effective tone. I’ve bought a couple of 12ax7 tubes like this and they are great. 

knowing your amp can save money on nos tubes too. If you have a lower voltage 6l6 amp you can use the very old coke bottle 6l6g tubes that people avoid because they cannot be used in newer Super Reverbs and stuff. I have a set in a tweed type amp and they sound divine.  The plate voltage needs to be 375 or less, pretty much a 30-35 watt amp.  They also work in a lot of 6v6 amps too. 

Archived