Heritage Owners Club

Stat refinish or not?

Bleeb

I've had my 1986 Stat since new. It's been used long and hard, and shows it. I just completed a re-fret, and just have the nut to install and set up. I'm looking at it and thinking perhaps i should either refinish it while I have the time, or just spot repair the dings. I think the finish is nitro, correct? Here are some pics. What do you all think?

Stat 2.jpg

stat 1.jpg

Legitimate road wear is just that; legitimate.  Personally, I'd never pay extra for, nor buy a factory "reliced" guitar.  I show real road wear as a badge of honor.

Keep playing it and ask us again in ten years.....

One man's honest play wear is another man's beat up old guitar.

It's an individual decision.

I have guitars I would never refinish and have guitars that I would refinish in a heartbeat.

And, a hard no on a factory relic!

If you're going to play it, then play it. If you're going to hang it on the wall, refinish it.

LOL! Thanks all. How could I have possibly guessed that I could get affirmation to leave it "as is" here?

I do remember where some of those dings occurred. The deep one was from a young lady's high heel that I fell onto as I was playing a benefit show at a local bar some 25 years ago. The odd thing is was that my brother was wearing it while playing the drums! His sneaker on one foot and one stiletto from some chick on the other. He stuck his leg up to keep me from crashing into his drum set. I kind of wish it was the sneaker foot, but alas, it was a heel dagger. We were pretty lit after several hours of playing for free beer, and I was flying around during our version of "Burning Down the House". We saved the only bar in town from foreclosure, and people were dancing on main street all night. It was awesome. 

Every mark, dent, scratch, chip... Its all a sign of the life you've made with your guitar.  Each one is a badge of honor of where the both have you have been.  I wouldn't refinish it either.  

......BUT......

On the flip side... I had a beautiful H140 from 1985, it had the same cherry sunburst finish of which I'm not a fan.  I had just the top, nothing else, refinished to a beautiful amber color, solely for the purpose of a color I like and one that emphasized the beautiful flame maple top.  I say, if you absolutely feel the need, just refinish the top if you don't like the color.  And if you can find someone to make it appear more age appropriate, the better.  Perhaps the Heritage Artisan inspired look?

Someone that knows how do deal with lacquer/nitro could fix those dings on top, I think they could just drop fill those dings as new lacquer blends into old fairly easy. But, unlike a lot of people here, I say if you want to refinish it, go ahead, it's your guitar. If it you want it looking a certain way, and you've got the cash, I say go for it. If it looking new will make you love it more, why not? It's a good looking guitar and I would love to see it with a slightly darker burst on it. 

Here's one I found in a the gallery...

Say you married someone when you were 30 and you have been married  for 35 years. Would you want her to get a face job and a boob job? Wait....with some of the stuff I have seen here, maybe I don't want an answer to that......

• 2 weeks later...

gawd you should see the Stat I once owned.  pics buried somewhere in the archives it was cherryburst too.  a pawn shop rescue.  a reggae player was brutal on it but it had tons of mojo. sold it to an HOC'er way back when i was thinning the herd.  they are strats on steroids. Leave it alone.

With properly installed frets and a new nut this guitar will have a whole new life and personality. You will forget about these imperfections very quickly. This guitar will be one that plays great and one you don't have to worry about getting it's first scratch. It's kinda like the truck I drive.

enjoy,

y2kc

I'd leave it; looks great and it has character

people pay extra, for new guitars to get artificially relic'd !!!

relicked?

relikked?

reliced?

relic'd?

which is it anyway? is Yoslate around? he used to teach engrish, didn't he?

found some pics of my old Stat.  A pawn shop rescue. Sold it to another member here about 10 years ago.  Strat on Steroids!

Here some road wear for ya, some "honest" road wear lol

Stat4.jpg

Stat8.jpg

Stat9.jpg

Stat10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 6:01 AM, big bob said:

Leave it alone, it’s perfect just the way it is!

On 12/7/2019 at 6:05 AM, Steiner said:

Legitimate road wear is just that; legitimate.  Personally, I'd never pay extra for, nor buy a factory "reliced" guitar.  I show real road wear as a badge of honor.

On 12/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, golferwave said:

No! A thousand times no.  Leave it as is and enjoy...nice guitar!

On 12/7/2019 at 6:19 PM, rwinking said:

Keep playing it and ask us again in ten years.....

On 12/8/2019 at 2:52 AM, StephenK said:

No!

I'm with these guys.  Looks amazing as is. 

Archived