Heritage Owners Club

Fret buzz on BRAND NEW H535

MisterAEB

I ordered an H535 from Guitar Center and got it delivered on Wednesday. My first concern was when the guitar was delivered out of tune...thought it was weird, but tuned it up and played a bit, I didn’t really get a chance to really play till this weekend. That’s when I discovered HORRIBLE fret buzz on E A D, even when played open, but really bad between 3rd and 7th frets. So, now I pose the question:  return the guitar? Will GC do a proper set-up? Aren’t all Heritage guitars PLEK’d before they leave the factory? 

They have a great return policy. If you're not happy and they don't correct the problem to your satisfaction take it back. There are countless great guitars out there.

I believe your guitar just needs a proper setup. Almost all new guitars do.  Find a good luthier and have your new guitar setup correctly.  I would not trust my local GS to set up any of my guitars.  Not knocking them, but they are in the business to sell guitars and their personnel seems to change often.  Finding a competent luthier is not easy, but it is worth the effort.  Years ago before big box music stores, the small stores setup all their new guitars before selling them.

5 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

might just need a trussrod adjustment

Bingo!

Sounds like it needs a setup.  I had an old 90's Strat Power Deluxe.  Took it in and the shop did 1/2 turn on the Truss rod and handed it back.  No charge.  That easy...

Guitar Denter should have done that.  With seasonal temperature changes and different woods, the guitar will most likely shift from when it was produced.  I can almost guarantee the guitar was in a warehouse that was not climate controlled.  I do not trust GC for buying new guitars for reasons like that.

You could take it back and ask GC to set it up, if you trust them.

Some retailers, like Sweetwater, do some setup and final inspections before shipping, I don't think Guitar Center/Musicians Friend even bothers with that.  

I've got to take my 535 in just to get it setup and double checked.  Really doesn't need it, but sometimes guitars slowly get out of whack and you don't notice it until someone does a good setup on it.

I can do some stuff, but I take my stuff to a local shop and he does some magic on my guitars.  (Music Castle in Royal Oak, MI if anyone is curious).

5 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Bingo!

Sounds like it needs a setup.  I had an old 90's Strat Power Deluxe.  Took it in and the shop did 1/2 turn on the Truss rod and handed it back.  No charge.  That easy...

Guitar Denter should have done that.  With seasonal temperature changes and different woods, the guitar will most likely shift from when it was produced.  I can almost guarantee the guitar was in a warehouse that was not climate controlled.  I do not trust GC for buying new guitars for reasons like that.

You could take it back and ask GC to set it up, if you trust them.

Some retailers, like Sweetwater, do some setup and final inspections before shipping, I don't think Guitar Center/Musicians Friend even bothers with that.  

I've got to take my 535 in just to get it setup and double checked.  Really doesn't need it, but sometimes guitars slowly get out of whack and you don't notice it until someone does a good setup on it.

I can do some stuff, but I take my stuff to a local shop and he does some magic on my guitars.  (Music Castle in Royal Oak, MI if anyone is curious).

Since my gigging guitars are alway out working it's really hard to keep them humidified with case humidifiers so they quite frequently need truss-rod tweaks. And it's usually around the 5th to 7th fret areas that signal me when I need a bit of relief as I play with a low action and with even the slightest bit of neck movement I can either hear a buzz, or conversely, I can feel the action creeping up. With my gigging guitars I have truss rod wrenches in the case so I can do it at the gig if need be.

First off, I am not a fan of Guitar Center's 'techs'. 

However, since the OP bought the 535 new from GC, they need to hear about any issues first.  Give them the first opportunity to provide service after sale.  They've got the most to prove to their customer.  Also, if the guitar has any serious issues and requires warranty service by Heritage, its best to keep it out of the hands of anyone until GC has taken a look at it.

21 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

However, since the OP bought the 535 new from GC, they need to hear about any issues first.  Give them the first opportunity to provide service after sale.  They've got the most to prove to their customer.  Also, if the guitar has any serious issues and requires warranty service by Heritage, its best to keep it out of the hands of anyone until GC has taken a look at it.

Exactly!  And when you bring it in show it to the store manager and ask him in a level voice if this kind of occurrence is considered acceptable behavior as a seller considering how money was paid for a brand new instrument?  You need to make him squirm. Ask the question and look him in the eyes and wait for his answer, no smiling on your face.    The store manager is responsible for the conduct and performance of his employees.  

44 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

I’m having my Strat refretted, I asked around for local shops that did the work.  One was a tech a GC saying to bring it in to him.  I’ll pass on that...

I don't know where you live but I'm in Wisconsin. When I ordered mine it finally shipped in February during a cold snap. I bought it from Wolf Music so they had to ship it to Florida. The temp difference was pretty big. They set it up and shipped it to me. By the time it arrived it had been bouncing around in a Fed EX truck in sub zero temps. The guitar had all sorts of fret buzz. Not surprising considering the extreme change of temps on a brand new guitar. 

Anyways, Its not unusual for a new guitar to need a few truss adjustments before it settles in. I'd take it back to GC, if they cant fix it get your $$ back. For what they are charging for them there's no way you should have to settle for a guitar that has issues

And to answer the second part of your question,  yes,  Heritage is running the Plek on all new guitars.  The frets should be level and good.   Sounds like a truss rod tweak is the order of the day.  Some guitars are more sensitive than others to temperature changes.   My 525 will need to be adjusted way before my 157 or 140.   

***FOLLOW UP***

So, I took the guitar into Guitar Center on my lunch break and the tech was kind enough to stop what he was doing and take a look at the guitar.  He played on it a bit and checked different parts of the neck/action.  He took the guitar to his workbench, removed the truss rod cover, turned it a 1/8 turn, played it a bit, turned it another 1/8, played it and then handed it to me.  Buzz gone!  Thank goodness!  The action is to my liking, not too high, not too low...just right, so I won't bother with a set-up just yet.

Thank you all for your replies.  I was concerned that GC would do absolutely nothing and want to charge me way too much for a set-up and the undercarriage anti-rust spray, but they were kind, apologetic, and got it taken care of really quickly. Definitely a + for GC in Sherman Oaks, CA!

May all your guitar problems be as easily fixable as this!

Glad it was a simple TR adjustment.  Not sure if you got the GC Pro Coverage with the purchase of your new H535, but here's the scoop:

Guitar Center's Pro Coverage
Pro Coverage gives you added warranty protection for your gear. Stepping in where the manufacturer's "normal wear and tear" coverage ends, our Pro Coverage program offers you upgraded coverage if your product ever fails Read Less.

Pro Coverage includes
  • Accidental damage protection
  • Expedited repair or replacement
  • Free shipping (for returns or repairs)
  • 100% coverage for commercial use
  • Extended price protection
  • No lemon guarantee
  • Free transfer of coverage to a new owner
  • Repair costs covered for up to five years from date of purchase
  • Repair authorization-toll-free by phone or via the web

3 hours ago, MisterAEB said:

***FOLLOW UP***Thank you all for your replies.  I was concerned that GC would do absolutely nothing and want to charge me way too much for a set-up and the undercarriage anti-rust spray, but they were kind, apologetic, and got it taken care of really quickly. Definitely a + for GC in Sherman Oaks, CA!

The undercarriage rust spray isn't a bad deal, but the extra pin striping and floor mats for the case are extravagances you really shouldn't need!

On 12/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, kennyv4 said:

I believe your guitar just needs a proper setup. Almost all new guitars do.  Find a good luthier and have your new guitar setup correctly.  I would not trust my local GS to set up any of my guitars.  Not knocking them, but they are in the business to sell guitars and their personnel seems to change often.  Finding a competent luthier is not easy, but it is worth the effort.  Years ago before big box music stores, the small stores setup all their new guitars before selling them.

true dat but I'd still start at the point of purchase.. GC

my .02

Just now, chico said:

true dat but I'd still start at the point of purchase.. GC

my .02

oops, should have reviewed the thread first before reply

glad it worked out.  the 535 rocks the Heritage stable.

• 2 months later...

Glad it worked for you. It is normal for a guitar to move a bit and need to be adjusted after being shipped or sitting in a store for a while. Now the thing to do is watch some Stew Mac videos about truss rod adjustment and start doing it yourself. You will learn about the characteristics of your guitar how it moves with the seasons and weather. It is unique to every guitar. Eventually it won’t need to be adjusted much at all. 

Archived