Heritage Owners Club

Gibson Firebird pickup swap recommendations

ElNumero

The sound of the factory pups on my 2013 Firebird is very distasteful to my ears. They sound brittle, muddy, and just not pleasant. I think these are the worst pickups I have ever heard. So I am looking for recommendations on swapping them out. I know Rockabilly has talked about this subject in the past, but cannot remember now which pickups he has favored in his 'Bird. 

Ya'll chime in please!

The construction of the current Firebird pickups being used by Gibson are nothing like the originals. There’s a company making very nice vintage repros by the name Q pickups. They’re out of Croatia and can be found on both Reverb and eBay. But Klein, Lollar, Curtis Novak and others make great original style FB pickups.

Definitely the Lollar p-90s . 

I have them in a two guitars already (H150 and Les Paul Dlx) and just haven't had the time to drop the set I have in the 2010 Firebird V.   

To be honest, I bought the set and started adjusting height the stock mini-humbuckers and found a sweet spot I was enjoying with no work.

LPD set is overwound and the other normal wound.  Can't remember what the set I have for the Firebird is

Klein Doug Kauer wind Firebird pickups. Or Mojotone Johnny winter set. For the Kleins you have to ask for that set, they don’t list them on the website. The Mojotone set is new but a lot of people like them. 

https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-226-firebird-pickup.aspx

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mojo+tone+Johnny+Winter+pick+ups&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I currently use a Seymour Duncan Mini-Humbucker in my LPJ build instead of a P90.  I play this guitar nearly every day and its a tone monster. 

Basically a hot-rod Firebird pickup.  I found mine used for about $50.  Well worth a shot if you want to save a bit of money and obviously no where near the cost of boutique pickups.

Considering my LPJ is all mahogany, its tonal characteristics from the wood should be nearly the same as your Firebird. 

141cb434-5645-488d-9885-6bf3db1d8577_zps5aj1tcv7.JPG

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

I currently use a Seymour Duncan Mini-Humbucker in my LPJ build instead of a P90.  I play this guitar nearly every day and its a tone monster. 

Basically a hot-rod Firebird pickup.  I found mine used for about $50.  Well worth a shot if you want to save a bit of money and obviously no where near the cost of boutique pickups.

Considering my LPJ is all mahogany, its tonal characteristics from the wood should be nearly the same as your Firebird. 

141cb434-5645-488d-9885-6bf3db1d8577_zps5aj1tcv7.JPG

Does the Led Zeppelin CD glued to the pickguard add any enhancement to the tone? Like Jimmy Page tone?

19 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Does the Led Zeppelin CD glued to the pickguard add any enhancement to the tone? Like Jimmy Page tone?

That was the original pickguard I made.  I have since added a veneer to the headstock and put on a traditional LPJ pickguard on the guitar.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, ElNumero said:

The sound of the factory pups on my 2013 Firebird is very distasteful to my ears. They sound brittle, muddy, and just not pleasant. I think these are the worst pickups I have ever heard.

I officially now know you are not deaf!

I was selling and using Rio Grande Mini Texas and BBQ, Respectively 10K & 12K so they are an overwound  medium/hot A5 set. Just presenting another option

• 2 weeks later...

believe it or not GFS makes a really nice mini hum, I would imagine theyre firebird pups are too. I spent years looking for a replacement for my 71' SG Jr. Im a big fan of mini hums in general and all of my Tele's have a mini in the neck. Lace also make some nice mini hums. The other folks have noted the boutique ones, so just a little extra to think about. Ive tried all but the Klein's. The GFS lil 59 may actually be one of my favs of the whole group. Hard to believe, I know, but it was full and fat with out mud in the neck. The bridge was meh and a bit trebley.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Klein's a bunch, have put the in a few customers guitars, sound great, and he makes three different ones too.

I didn't mind mine stock playing thru a cranked Marshall or tweed amp as they hit the amp hard and (to me) sound good crunchy.  Wasn't as enamored at more clean settings tho.  I've been using Revel pickups the last few years and really like them so thought I'd try his Firebird set.  Like 'em lots.  Not as well known as other brands suggested - a musician who winds small numbers of pickups as they're ordered. https://revelcustompickups.com/store/firebird/

So I took the easy way out and the FB is for sale on Reverb!!!!

?

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

That's a shame because you never got to experience what a good Firebird sounds like!

Well, should I reconsider baby?

On 2/6/2020 at 10:14 PM, rockabilly69 said:

Yep! 

I caved. Sold it locally, got a little more than I paid new for it. Its ok though, I have enough guitars to get me by

Archived