Heritage Owners Club

H535 Setup Specs?

MisterAEB

Hi all, thanks to all those who replied to my last thread RE: Buzzing on my H535...now for another question:

I am going to do a set-up on the H535 with guidance from a trusted buddy of mine (he owns and works on many guitars, with 20+ years experience).  Anyway, I am looking to see if there are any factory specs that we should be aiming for during the set-up. Searching online yielded this from Gibson:

“Hi I’m David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec 
info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.
To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 
7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.
ACTION: 
fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top 
of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64" (cm. 0,1984). Do the same with the high E, 
measurement should be 3/64" (cm.0,1190). 
Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the 
fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64" (cm. 0,0793), D and G =1.5/64" (cm.0,0595) and B and high E = 1/64" (cm. 0,0396). 
If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E’s should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.
PICKUPS: 
Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point 
on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64" (cm.0,1190), neck pickup 
should be 4/32"(cm.0,31751). 
Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32" (cm.0.2381).
Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 
and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for “choking” 
and to make sure string stays in nut notch.”

I understand that a set-up should get me and my playing style to a comfortable (and intonated) position, but I am also hoping to have a good reference point of where things "should be"

Thanks in advance for your replies!

A follow up for those interested. I emailed Heritage and here is their reply:

"We set the action to the lowest possible without buzz. The above method would work great on your guitar though the nut measurements I'm not sure of. We use a PLEK machine as you know so it's generally cut really well. The only difference I see for the setup is we keep the low E at 4/64". The rest of the measurements appear to be standard for an electric guitar."

I am no help because the first thing I do with a new guitar is twist the truss rod a touch to get some relief.  Some people may find that I also like my action a little high because I make terrible noises with a slide every now and then.  Adjust the guitar how you like it and enjoy. 

Here is my 535.  I jammed with buddies a week ago.  That guitar howls!  ;^)

img_5202_std.jpg

Archived