Heritage Owners Club

Hypothetical Heritage Museum

DetroitBlues

One more. I had a brief yet passionate affair with this blonde beauty about two years ago. She eventually returned to her one true love. HFT-485, solid maple back and sides, mahogany neck. I believe this particular one was a one off.

3FKD7jj.jpg

j3YRQhN.jpg

I5Z0aGV.jpg

Sko9r8z.jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 11:30 PM, DavesNotHere said:

One more. I had a brief yet passionate affair with this blonde beauty about two years ago. She eventually returned to her one true love. HFT-485, solid maple back and sides, mahogany neck. I believe this particular one was a one off.

3FKD7jj.jpg

Is that one one Brent had?  I remember a one-off that was crazy cool, but it had arguably one of the thinnest necks I've ever played.

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Is that one one Brent had?  I remember a one-off that was crazy cool, but it had arguably one of the thinnest necks I've ever played.

Didn't @KBP810 own that?

I'm not certain of the chain of custody of this one. I picked it up in a pawnshop in Nashville. I had met the former owner at NAMM a few years earlier, he was (is?) a Heritage endorsed artist. I was quite surprised when I saw it in a pawnshop. I wondered what had befallen him to part with this beauty. We had  a long conversation about Heritage acoustics when we spoke at NAMM, and I knew he loved this guitar and gigged it frequently. 

Well, I brought it home and was starting to bond with it. Then one day several months later, I was perusing  Craigslist and saw a WTB ad for the 485. He was trying to buy it back. I pondered what to do for a day then realised rather quickly that I couldn't do it justice and I knew he made a living with it, so I contacted him. 

Life had happened and he had to make some sacrifices. He was thrilled to get it back, he thought it was gone for good. 

We made arrangements to meet and he got his baby back, and I got to play another unique custom Heritage.

It had a "made for" label indicating the original owner on the inside. I won't DOX him here, but I will say it did not appear to be built for anyone currently active in the club.

1 hour ago, DavesNotHere said:

I'm not certain of the chain of custody of this one. I picked it up in a pawnshop in Nashville. I had met the former owner at NAMM a few years earlier, he was (is?) a Heritage endorsed artist. I was quite surprised when I saw it in a pawnshop. I wondered what had befallen him to part with this beauty. We had  a long conversation about Heritage acoustics when we spoke at NAMM, and I knew he loved this guitar and gigged it frequently. 

Well, I brought it home and was starting to bond with it. Then one day several months later, I was perusing  Craigslist and saw a WTB ad for the 485. He was trying to buy it back. I pondered what to do for a day then realised rather quickly that I couldn't do it justice and I knew he made a living with it, so I contacted him. 

Life had happened and he had to make some sacrifices. He was thrilled to get it back, he thought it was gone for good. 

We made arrangements to meet and he got his baby back, and I got to play another unique custom Heritage.

It had a "made for" label indicating the original owner on the inside. I won't DOX him here, but I will say it did not appear to be built for anyone currently active in the club.

Very cool back story on that H485 acoustic.  Good Karma on you, Dave. :clapping_mini:

So what was the “kerfuffle” about with the H-480 a couple of years back?

If there was a museum,  I'm sure that the recently found Gibson employee list would certainly be there!    It's been posted on the Save The Stack facebook page.   I found a couple of familiar names in the list.   Its interesting that Jim Deurloo was hired a month after Ted McCarty!    I also saw Aaron Cowles, and Ren's names, but haven't seen Bill Paige's yet.

Between 1919 and 1953,  there are less than 120 total employees on the list.   And talk about hiring spurts.   In 1962 alone, they hired about 170 employees!   I guess the guitar business was really booming.  

947974279_MarvLambGibson.jpg.6a89bba339f97a0ccdf16bdea17ecfcf.jpgimage.png.20b87df083f3682e5a3e8aae0b2fbe60.png

image.png.4946fc1043d7752f82e29fb60ced2e4a.png

On 1/21/2020 at 4:24 PM, Steiner said:

Didn't @KBP810 own that?

Yeah, I owned it for a while, bought it from Brent I believe. Or at least one just like it (if it were not a one-off). 

I really regret letting it go, would buy it back in a heart beat given the opportunity. 

Any hypothetical or real Heritage Museum would need the full back story of the Parsons Street facility.  That would include their WWII switch from making guitars, to munitions, and hiring about 200 'Gibson Gals'   According to the following article, approximately 25,000 guitars were also made during the war, many made by these women.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-old-gibson-guitar-factory-kalamazoo-michigan

image.png.159721de394c89224a8616e58523452f.png

13 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Excellent find Paul!

Archived