Heritage Owners Club

NHGD '89 H-150

FredZepp

So I recently picked up a new ( for me ) Heritage H-150CM.  

Due to owning Les Pauls for many, many years, I have a slight affinity for '88 and '89 H-150's due to the more Les Paul like body shape.  I have an '88 (first year for H-150) and it's 10.5 lbs with a chunky neck and cherry sunburst.  When I saw the '89 H-150 up for sale , I was intrigued by the specs.  9.1 lbs in Amber finish, Custom Shop SD pickups, neck at .790-1st fret  .910 at 12th fret.  ...  that fast neck seemed right up my alley.  

I was immediately thrilled after receiving it. .... that neck is fantastic.. and it's been re-fretted with a perfect fret job.  Jumbo frets with no wear and perfectly set up.  The pickups were a  surprise.  Love them.  In 2005, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop made 300 sets of a handmade 50th anniversary PAF with Musicians Friend.  Duncan himself did the engraving on the covers.. ( a hobby of his)  They are like a Seth Lover on steroids. Scatter wound and 7.44K at neck and 8.64K at bridge.  They made 150 with A2 magnets ,like mine, and 150 with A5 magnets. ( Seller included a Pat # Gibson pu and another Gibson pu in this deal too ) 

Nice top too, very 3D.  With the Amber finish.. it looks plain under low light, flames pop out in medium light and really pop in sunlight or flash photos.  There is a small hole in the top where a mini toggle was... I've got the dowel and finish to fill it ..and I will , but  I don't notice it while playing so not a big priority .    The weight , feel , tone of this one are right on target for me ... 

I didn't need any more guitars... but this one seemed like it was just for me. I'm glad I took a chance. 

Excuse the first two flash photos, but they really pop! 

6J32UOOLA9WOo_WqQ4T2vTrb99lPZsCi_mUB8y9mz0Hbz0vVCU5hK1rZfaDjFedN2kSERrmzd21GyNy3E16o71lEiNz5OdssKrZd5czBcqoGRlfjMwF46DDkSmQFqhANoycHz8KYXwnYv-mE3-5SzLAY3ZTfzRYdCHKFy2KeJUyX5k1YkZ079wpDx_uAcJTa43O2p9p6

Can't see the pics!!!??? Maybe it's just me and I'm a dummy tho 

Damn, an '89 H-150 was my first introduction to Heritage. IIRC it was a legit Cherry 'burst too. One came into the shop I taught at in the early 2000's. What's this. I thought?? A trip to the interwebz (which we didn't have in the story yet, had to walk to campus) brought up the Ye Olde Heritage domain! I got that guitar for $500. Soon after I got an H-500 for $700 on Ebay that UPS lost for over a month before it was finally delivered. I remember being so impressed something out there was built like old Epi's, Gibsons, Strombergs, etc for ****ing peanuts on the used market and damn fine prices when new. 

Not long after the shop did a buy-in and spec'd out some of the most ugly builds ever done (think "Goth", trans black w/black binding/hardware etc), but hey, ya live ya learn. 

37 minutes ago, FredZepp said:

So I recently picked up a new ( for me ) Heritage H-150CM.  

Due to owning Les Pauls for many, many years, I have a slight affinity for '88 and '89 H-150's due to the more Les Paul like body shape.  I have an '88 (first year for H-150) and it's 10.5 lbs with a chunky neck and cherry sunburst.  When I saw the '89 H-150 up for sale , I was intrigued by the specs.  9.1 lbs in Amber finish, Custom Shop SD pickups, neck at .790-1st fret  .910 at 12th fret.  ...  that fast neck seemed right up my alley.  

I was immediately thrilled after receiving it. .... that neck is fantastic.. and it's been re-fretted with a perfect fret job.  Jumbo frets with no wear and perfectly set up.  The pickups were a  surprise.  Love them.  In 2005, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop made 300 sets of a handmade 50th anniversary PAF with Musicians Friend.  Duncan himself did the engraving on the covers.. ( a hobby of his)  They are like a Seth Lover on steroids. Scatter wound and 7.44K at neck and 8.64K at bridge.  They made 150 with A2 magnets ,like mine, and 150 with A5 magnets. ( Seller included a Pat # Gibson pu and another Gibson pu in this deal too ) 

Nice top too, very 3D.  With the Amber finish.. it looks plain under low light, flames pop out in medium light and really pop in sunlight or flash photos.  There is a small hole in the top where a mini toggle was... I've got the dowel and finish to fill it ..and I will , but  I don't notice it while playing so not a big priority .    The weight , feel , tone of this one are right on target for me ... 

I didn't need any more guitars... but this one seemed like it was just for me. I'm glad I took a chance. 

Excuse the first two flash photos, but they really pop! 

6J32UOOLA9WOo_WqQ4T2vTrb99lPZsCi_mUB8y9mz0Hbz0vVCU5hK1rZfaDjFedN2kSERrmzd21GyNy3E16o71lEiNz5OdssKrZd5czBcqoGRlfjMwF46DDkSmQFqhANoycHz8KYXwnYv-mE3-5SzLAY3ZTfzRYdCHKFy2KeJUyX5k1YkZ079wpDx_uAcJTa43O2p9p6

Glad you bought that one Fred.  It was one heck of a deal.  Wasn't for the Mrs. DB keeping me grounded, I'd been all over it.  

Thankfully you beat me to it.  Don't think I'd like that thin neck though.

Congratulations!

So glad you were able to take advantage of the blow out sale.

Beautiful guitar, Happy NGD!

8 hours ago, deytookerjaabs said:

Can't see the pics!!!??? Maybe it's just me and I'm a dummy tho 

Damn, an '89 H-150 was my first introduction to Heritage. IIRC it was a legit Cherry 'burst too. One came into the shop I taught at in the early 2000's. What's this. I thought?? A trip to the interwebz (which we didn't have in the story yet, had to walk to campus) brought up the Ye Olde Heritage domain! I got that guitar for $500. Soon after I got an H-500 for $700 on Ebay that UPS lost for over a month before it was finally delivered. I remember being so impressed something out there was built like old Epi's, Gibsons, Strombergs, etc for ****ing peanuts on the used market and damn fine prices when new. 

Not long after the shop did a buy-in and spec'd out some of the most ugly builds ever done (think "Goth", trans black w/black binding/hardware etc), but hey, ya live ya learn. 

What pray tell is an H-500?

43 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

That was a Reverb find I posted a week or so ago.  Little debate over taking it because of the toggle switch hole.

o7r8lmtrvvn4bdqe5m03.jpg

Yeah , that pic shows the engraving on the pickups pretty well.... it's really fairly subtle in real life.   I debated leaving the black pu rings.. but changed them.  The cream rings were a tiny bit taller, which created a problem.  But after moving the wiring underneath a bit... it all worked out.   

Archived