Heritage Owners Club

Happy NADs :)

Steiner

I went on a second amp safari yesterday returning to Holly, MI; the epicenter of an amp company that has been on the radar for a number of years.  Greeted by George Metropoulos, I was re-introduced to his latest model, the DVL-1.  A 4-channel amp with what’s referenced to a 65, 66, 68 and mod(ern) voices; each having a little more gain available.  The amp also has a mid-boost and Mod switch available on every channel providing 16 different voices.  All 16 are further changed, slightly, with the 50/100 watt and Variac switches; I suppose that makes 128 voices but, who’s counting?

The soundtrack in my head is flush with the Marshall 1959 SLP (~Plexi) amp.  The wall I’ve run up against is the noise I’ve encounter from owners of that particular model, and subsequent re-introductions over the years, is they are notoriously variant; I suppose it’s a lot like everything surrounding our hobby.  This DVL-1 amp nailed what I was looking to find.  I’m very happy it does because a deep dive into Marshall lore suggests that Metropoulos has consistently made the best for the last decade.  As a fire-breathing, high-gain monster, it is pin-drop quiet.

I’ve read and watched his interviews where he sets amp builders on their heels when describing his attack toward building the perfect beast.  Wide-eyed Dave Friedman said: “Your going down a deep rabbit hole!” when he described following frequencies through the different signal paths in his design.  Beyond his pedantic attention to circuit detail, this man has superb, professional chops.  Watching him pull riffs and leads out of his back pocket is quite inspiring.  While possessing the credentials to be well above me, he’s quite approachable and down to earth. 

Bottom line, should I need to bunker down and ride out the Coronavirus, I’ll have my happy NADs to pull me through.

23 minutes ago, kbp810 said:

Need pictures... or have a scotch glass out and ready, because I'm heading over to verify in person! You know, for the good of the HOC. 

Have at thee!  KBP810, there's always a wee dram here with your name on it.

Another feature on this model is the silent loop – used by other builders; it’s been designed into the new Allen/Dr. Z coming out this year.  Just another innovation from private enterprise.  I probably won’t use it because I don’t have a collection of pedals.  It may, however, come in handy someday if ever I slave this amp.

Ah…  So you’ve dropped the gauntlet on my NADs, eh?  Normally that would be painful, but let’s go one better!  Here’s a shot of my #52 with the creator at the helm.  He’s on the interwebz @ http://www.metropoulos.net/dvl1.html

15 hours ago, Steiner said:

Have at thee!  KBP810, there's always a wee dram here with your name on it.

Another feature on this model is the silent loop – used by other builders; it’s been designed into the new Allen/Dr. Z coming out this year.  Just another innovation from private enterprise.  I probably won’t use it because I don’t have a collection of pedals.  It may, however, come in handy someday if ever I slave this amp.

Ah…  So you’ve dropped the gauntlet on my NADs, eh?  Normally that would be painful, but let’s go one better!  Here’s a shot of my #52 with the creator at the helm.  He’s on the interwebz @ http://www.metropoulos.net/dvl1.html

All those tones in one amp.  Between the amp, the guitars, and the talent, I'm sure you're going to do that amp justice!

Congratulations...

Also, there are some really cool vintage effects!  I see a Roland Re-201 Tubatape Echo SPACE ECHO and an Echoplex EP4?  

Appetite whetting video!  I am particularly fond of Lesters and That Tone.  Have been for decades.  I love the fact that George begins the video on the down low.  No stomping, and the guitar's turned down.  But...being familiar with "the real thing," you can hear what's coming, sho' nuff.  When he begins twiddling volume knobs...There. It. Is.  Then when he engages his foot: Boy Howdy.  That's it!  Great example of what I think people mean when they describe an amp as "singing"!  The "'65/'66" button takes it where angels fear to tread.  Oh...and there's a Royer 121, of course. 

Thanks for the concurrence.  My fingers are stiff from so much playing.  This thing is addictive!   Mrs. Steiner has permitted the amp to reside in the living room.  I suppose that means I have to fashion furniture grade cabinets to sew up this beast and reside in our living space.  No problem!

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

All those tones in one amp.  Between the amp, the guitars, and the talent, I'm sure you're going to do that amp justice!

Congratulations...

Also, there are some really cool vintage effects!  I see a Roland Re-201 Tubatape Echo SPACE ECHO and an Echoplex EP4?  

Thank you DB.  I can't attest to the talent but i will throw everything I've got to bring out the essence of this amp.  So far it's working far beyond my expectations  :)

I have wanted a 1959 SLP ever since I discovered it was the Marshall Plexi that sounded so sweet.  Mr. Metropoulos doesn't just throw a bunch of components together and ship.  He personally analyzes each amp for tight tolerances between phases within the amp and again post build.  He has a collection of test and studio equipment to record plus the ear and chops to verify ever amp he puts his name on is the best available.  The '68 channel is tested against his personal 1968 Marshall 1959 SLP amp and it rings true.  I keep going back to the soundtrack of my life realizing how much better the songs sound with those sweet, high-gain '68 channel overtones.  My desire to practice has been rekindled into a burning desire to do this amp justice.

DB - you and I should visit his shop; one caveat, and he warned me knowingly: "You can't unhear what you're about to experience." 

11 hours ago, 212Mavguy said:

Great voices!  Nice harmonic content.  Awesome raunch...Gut shot, please!

#52 is currently wired for sound.  I've emailed the creator for a gut shot and will post here when available; promise.

I misspoke before, It's the Dr. Z and Carol Ann collaboration (Named CAZ 45), the highest gain amp that Dr. Z has unleashed that will carry Metropoulos' effects loop.  Apparently it's a game changer.  If you're unhappy with your amp's effects loop, it can often be retrofitted.  There's more info here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/zerolossfx   There are a slew of folks there who reside far above my wheelhouse.  If I do put one in the SLO, I'll take it to my tech.

14 minutes ago, Spectrum13 said:

They have a pill for that.

I discovered this morning that holding the Control button and pressing enter submits the reply.  Normally I type for considerable time before submitting.  Who knew you could push a button and finish it, lickity-split!?

20 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Thank you DB.  I can't attest to the talent but i will throw everything I've got to bring out the essence of this amp.  So far it's working far beyond my expectations  :)

I have wanted a 1959 SLP ever since I discovered it was the Marshall Plexi that sounded so sweet.  Mr. Metropoulos doesn't just throw a bunch of components together and ship.  He personally analyzes each amp for tight tolerances between phases within the amp and again post build.  He has a collection of test and studio equipment to record plus the ear and chops to verify ever amp he puts his name on is the best available.  The '68 channel is tested against his personal 1968 Marshall 1959 SLP amp and it rings true.  I keep going back to the soundtrack of my life realizing how much better the songs sound with those sweet, high-gain '68 channel overtones.  My desire to practice has been rekindled into a burning desire to do this amp justice.

DB - you and I should visit his shop; one caveat, and he warned me knowingly: "You can't unhear what you're about to experience." 

Mighty fine idea.  Perhaps during a field trip to Kalamazoo, we head north for a bit on US131?

1 minute ago, DetroitBlues said:

Mighty fine idea.  Perhaps during a field trip to Kalamazoo, we head north for a bit on US131?

It only takes about 15 minutes for 4 hours to go by.  Literally, you get in the car after the visit and think: cool, I didn't waste too much of his time.  Then you see the clock has moved multiple hours!  oops.

Just now, Steiner said:

It only takes about 15 minutes for 4 hours to go by.  Literally, you get in the car after the visit and think: cool, I didn't waste too much of his time.  Then you see the clock has moved multiple hours!  oops.

Time flies when you're in heaven... Tonal heaven that is.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

Hmmm indeed!  I don't know the particulars of that model.  If it's a Plexi build, it will be built like a tank and have "it."

I don't know if you're into the metal sound but the Mod channel on the DVL-1 goes there.  I haven't much use for it, yet.

I also want to address PK's gauntlet.  Here's a shot with the olive-branch, color coordinated scotch.

image.png.6af903db60cac93eff4cefe064c168ac.png

On 1/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, Steiner said:

I went on a second amp safari yesterday returning to Holly, MI; the epicenter of an amp company that has been on the radar for a number of years.  Greeted by George Metropoulos, I was re-introduced to his latest model, the DVL-1.  A 4-channel amp with what’s referenced to a 65, 66, 68 and mod(ern) voices; each having a little more gain available.  The amp also has a mid-boost and Mod switch available on every channel providing 16 different voices.  All 16 are further changed, slightly, with the 50/100 watt and Variac switches; I suppose that makes 128 voices but, who’s counting?

The soundtrack in my head is flush with the Marshall 1959 SLP (~Plexi) amp.  The wall I’ve run up against is the noise I’ve encounter from owners of that particular model, and subsequent re-introductions over the years, is they are notoriously variant; I suppose it’s a lot like everything surrounding our hobby.  This DVL-1 amp nailed what I was looking to find.  I’m very happy it does because a deep dive into Marshall lore suggests that Metropoulos has consistently made the best for the last decade.  As a fire-breathing, high-gain monster, it is pin-drop quiet.

I’ve read and watched his interviews where he sets amp builders on their heels when describing his attack toward building the perfect beast.  Wide-eyed Dave Friedman said: “Your going down a deep rabbit hole!” when he described following frequencies through the different signal paths in his design.  Beyond his pedantic attention to circuit detail, this man has superb, professional chops.  Watching him pull riffs and leads out of his back pocket is quite inspiring.  While possessing the credentials to be well above me, he’s quite approachable and down to earth. 

Bottom line, should I need to bunker down and ride out the Coronavirus, I’ll have my happy NADs to pull me through.

I've quit drinking Coronas. Too risky. 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, Doug said:

I'm envious of your NADs.

Boy, that sounds twisted.

GO-NADS is what he means!

Archived