Heritage Owners Club

Heritage vs Collings Throwdown

ficecone

I've owned a Heritage Prospect for about a year. Definitely a favorite of mine. The smaller size works well for me. A few weeks ago I lost my mind temporarily and bought a used Collings I35 Deluxe. Its a beautiful guitar but if I'm honest with myself I can't really appreciate any significant differences between the Collings and the Prospect. They are both a pleasure to play but the Collings cost almost twice the Prospect. If I put a bag over my head (no comments thanks you) and played these two I doubt I could tell the difference. 

IMG_7019.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

There are many on here that are insistent the quality and tone of the Collins is superior than many comparable brands; Heritage included.

I cannot say one way or the other, as I've never played a Collins.  Now is the Collins is based upon a semi-hollow body ES design?

Prospects have floating center blocks, so they behave more like a hollow-body.  At least I think that how they are built.

Besides, nothing wrong with having options.

People get so wrapped up over the price of other guitars when comparing to Heritages.

I have two Collings City Limits.  Both are Gold Tops.  One has Lollar P90s and is (IMHO) a better guitar than a Heritage P90 150 GT that I had (The Collings is lighter, more resonate, clearer, with more sustain).  So I sold the Heritage 150 GT P90.  The other Collings City Limits GT came with Throbaks and is "aged" (not relic'd) with a finish showing finish checking.  It was superior to a Terry McInturff Carolina Custon I had, so I sold the McInturff.

Price is irrelevant to me (If I am able to afford it).   Keep which guitar speaks to you and sell or don't buy the others.  But I am willing to pay more for a superior product.  But sometimes the less expensive guitar is the winner.  Also the more expensive Boutique brands will come with upgrades already (Throbak pickups and LIGHTER more resonate wood).  Both of my Collings are significantly under 9lbs.  The Collings CT GT P90 is under 8lbs and Collings CT Throbaks is 8.5lbs.  That means a lot to me, but maybe not to others. 

I have a ton of guitars (at least 50 at last count) and price up to a certain point, doesn't really worry me, as I could just sell a few guitars if I want something really expensive. So like Kuz's post above, I buy what floats my boat, and that's what my opinion here is based on. Collings fans tout that they build with a great eye for detail, and I agree with that. Funny thing though, they do what a lot of people that love Heritage guitars despise, they use CNC machines (since 2005) for many parts, and from what I've personally seen with Collings guitars, and I have played a ton, from their most expensive, down to their lowest priced, they have an eye for quality control that surpasses anything I've seen from Heritage's old guard. I think the higher price is slightly justified by their attention to detail. As for guitars coming out of the Heritage factory now, I don't know, because not that many have showed up here in Utah for me to make the call. Does that mean you can't find a Heritage that sounds better than a Collings. Nope, guitars are still the sum of their parts with a little luck thrown in. So are Collings worth the extra money over Heritage? Do you hear something in the Collings that you want to hear, but you don't hear, in your Heritage? Then yes they are:) I've never heard anything in a Collings that would make me want to bump one of my Les Pauls out of rotation, so that's why I don't own one. But if you are going to compare Heritage to Collings, I think you have to go apples to apples as in H535 to I35, H150 to City Limits, etc, then, I think there you could more easily judge the differences. And as Kuz says, along with the lower average weight of the woods, the parts Collings use in their guitars is of generally higher cost than what Heritage uses (nickle silver fret wire, Jupiter caps, Throbak pickups, custom made knobs, etc). Using these higher priced parts and lower weight woods doesn't guarantee a better guitar, but when combined with an eye for quality control, the chances of getting a good one seems to go up considerably.

Id like to see, hear one, but never seen one here in Northern Mi. Im starting to get a few grey whiskers here and there. Weight does make a difference to me, however I think I might go with a 137 next. Nowhere an apple to apple comparison, but I made the mistake of selling a great 150 once. Never again. From now on, Ill add to the stable.

just to be clear, I didn't want to make a pear-to-apples comparison, nor talking about price as a factor to be wrapped up with ?
I clearly expect more quality and attention and functionality if I see a price of more than the double of my Custom Horder.
I'm perfectly ok with my H-535 which is already a professional instrument for a non professional guitar player like me

that IC35 De Luxe was superior
great tone and a joy to play

(back to playing my H-150GT now) ?

As interesting as the difference is, JHS posted a video last week of Cheap Vs. Expensive Gear.

Josh Hood offered three Tiers of Gear. 

Tier 1 consisted of a Collins Semi-Hollow ($5,000)

Tier 2 consisted of Gibson 335 Satin ($1,000)

Tier 3 consisted of a Firefly Semi-hollow ($140)

Sort of shows Expensive is good, but not always necessary.  Again, I cannot say the Collins is superior as I haven't played one.

As far as Kuz's Heritage Goldtop P90 model, well, I play that guitar every day since I brought it home a couple years ago.  Its going to be the guitar I use tomorrow night for a band I'm trying out for.  I love the tone and feel.  But last time I was with a band, my primary guitar was an Epiphone Dot Deluxe.  So what do I know?

Now for the JHS video:

Ive never played collings so I want to know how about it and comparision with Heritages.

But is Collings laminated? 

So Is it good to compare with same build guitar like jimhall or 175?

Personally, about detail finishing and accuracy, some guitars are good than Heritages.

D'aquisto jim hall is in. it's made in Japan.

But I love Heritage's some sweet tone in midrange, and wild sound power that have very large potential of sustaine and soundedge. 

So I want to know how collings is.

I have a Collings CL that I’m getting ready to sell. I have to let it go for two reasons. I bought an old Epiphone archtop and I only play P90s now. Enough about that though and now this: I bought the guitar a few years ago at my local shop. I played it and then obsessed over it. I went back in over and over again for a month until I could make the deal. I have always been an “LP” guy and have owned various brands of them including Heritage, Gibson, PRS and Collings. The quality of the Collings and PRS (it was an artist S.C.245) are comparable and, without a doubt, of a higher standard than the Heritage or Gibson. The CL weighs right around 8 LBS and is super resonant and is not chambered. This is where the difference between the 150 and the CL really shows up. Collings across the entire range uses very high quality wood then does a killer job making it into a guitar. The CL is probably the best LP I have ever owned. However, it doesn’t compare to a ‘47 Epiphone archtop so it must go. Of note, I’m not getting rid of the 150GT. It may not be the quality of the CL but it does it for me more than the CL or the PRS could. Go figure. When plugged in the 150GT is magical for me. The CL will appear on the for sale section soon, you can then compare for yourself for a few hundred more than a new H150. 

To me comparing guitar brands is a waste of time.  I've owned a few super high quality guitars as well as more than a few low quality ones.  At the end of the day (or gig, session or jam in my music room), it all comes down to that ubiquitous "FEEL" and tone.  How does the instrument feel and sound?  How does it make me feel as I play it and listen to it?

Price is obviously a major factor (since I ain't rich), but that only limits accessibility in my view.  Low-to-medium priced guitars are accessible.  High prices act as a deterrent...most of the time.  :unsure:   

My Heritage gits make me feel great.  They look amazing, and have something special.  Maybe its knowing the company's history, their story, the owners, and builders.  Whatever it is, I find myself drawn to playing Heritage guitars more than any others.  Yes, I've been seduced by boutique builders as well as Collings, but that's what's great about capitalism...choices. 

One of my most toneful gits to date is an absolutely perfect, Chinese made PRS SE Hollowbody II.  It is as good as any uber-expensive boutique guitar I've ever played.  But last night I held my own version of "Guitar Death Match" involving the PRS, a hand made Roger Giffin Standard and Heritage Millenium Eagle.  Based on my blue ribbon panel of judges (me!)...he winner was the Heritage.  The Heritage made me smile just a bit more than the other two perfectly made instruments.  Somehow it made me feel more connected to it.  As such, I could not put it down until last night's 9pm curfew time. 

So comparing guitars is fun.  But personally, I don't take it too seriously online or in hand.  It's just an enjoyable activity where no one gets hurt. 

I compare guitars every time I go to my studio, and not by choice! Many times the guitar I thought would work for a solo, DIDN'T! SO, I start picking up different guitars till I hear what I wany to hear, and I can't the count the times a cheaper guitar got the job. I have a cheap Mexican 50's reissue Tele that I put some VanZandt pickups in and it is killer!!! It's a great clean sounding Tele and it really sounds good cranked through distortion too. I have a really expensive custom shop Tele, but for this song the cheaper guitar did it for me!!! Here's a demo I did for a song I thing that I'll play with my band The Bastard Redheads the next time we get together.

21 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I compare guitars every time I go to my studio, and not by choice! Many times the guitar I thought would work for a solo, DIDN'T! SO, I start picking up different guitars till I hear what I wany to hear, and I can't the count the times a cheaper guitar got the job. I have a cheap Mexican 50's reissue Tele that I put some VanZandt pickups in and it is killer!!! It's a great clean sounding Tele and it really sounds good cranked through distortion too. I have a really expensive custom shop Tele, but for this song the cheaper guitar did it for me!!! Here's a demo I did for a song I thing that I'll play with my band The Bastard Redheads the next time we get together.

really cool tone.This is tele sound I always thought.

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Fender 50's Tele, Fulltone III, Dirty Girl Reverb amp, Boss RE20 Space Echo

Here's the noisemakers..

lAQ0yoy.jpg?3

ib17y7m.jpg?1

aYXsddr.jpg

Every sound box you have are good one. Your tele and voice tone is "this is telecaster" and this is rock" 
Thank you for posting great rock n roll

Actually has a Led Zepplin kind of feel. Nice!

On 3/4/2020 at 4:03 AM, rockabilly69 said:

I have a cheap Mexican 50's reissue Tele that I put some VanZandt pickups in and it is killer!!!

I can dig it. My cheap Mexican Tele slays after putting P-90s in it.

kmIap2ll.jpg

6 hours ago, rwinking said:

Actually has a Led Zepplin kind of feel. Nice!

Actually I was going for Zep meets Joe Walsh tone, so good ears!

6 hours ago, Yooper said:

kmIap2ll.jpg

Well that looks like it would get the job done!!!

9 hours ago, busujiujitsu said:

Every sound box you have are good one. Your tele and voice tone is "this is telecaster" and this is rock" 
Thank you for posting great rock n roll

Well I do love to ROCK! My blues friends (which I have many), always like to tease me about my rock and roll leanings:)

On 3/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Yooper said:

kmIap2ll.jpg

Had a Squier Vintage Modified that looked a lot like that.  It was based upon a 70's custom I converted to a mini-filtron style guitar.  Sounded awesome.  Bet that one is killer!

4 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Bet that one is killer!

Especially cranked though my 5f1 with a 12" speaker. Now all I "need" are a Tele Deluxe with humbuckers and a thinline. But my traditional model and P90s tele really handle anything well. 

4 hours ago, Yooper said:

Especially cranked though my 5f1 with a 12" speaker. Now all I "need" are a Tele Deluxe with humbuckers and a thinline. But my traditional model and P90s tele really handle anything well. 

When I first moved to Utah with the Air Force, a friend took me to the local music shop to buy my first gigging guitar, a mid 70's Tele Deluxe in Mocha brown. I was young, and didn't know much about pickups and such, but what I knew was that the Wide Range humbuckers couldn't get my amp to distort enough for me, so I popped them out, and put in two Dimarzio pickups, a Dual Sound in the neck, and a Super Distortion in the bridge. Yes I know that sounds sacrilegious, but damn that guitar sounded great through my brownface Princeton amp! And here is that bastard of a Fender with my 17 year old self rocking some Foghat, or something along that line on it ...

Uw0qWTB.jpg?1

Archived