Heritage Owners Club

Johnny Smith String Change = Like a New Guitar Day

pressure

My Heritage Johnny Smith has been getting harder and harder to tune, a sure sign of old strings.

The final straw was that I couldn't get the high E string to tune to pitch... then it snapped and flew off the guitar.

I have never had a string break while tuning up, so I thought, probably time to change all 6 strings.

After changing the strings I looked into the neck pocket of the JS guitar case and found the string packet from the last string change.

Yea it was time definitely to change the strings.

82BPeTb.jpg

Pressure, how vital is it to record the day of the week on the string package?  I'm with you on writing down (and keeping in the case) the date on which the strings were changed, but now I'm worried that I may be missing something important.  This may well explain why my playing isn't better than it is!

String Change

Friday

02/21/2020

It was a cold sunny day.

My wife left me again

I spent about 40 minutes playing my G&L Legacy Saturday morning.   After I put it back in the case,  I looked at my finger tips and they were are  really dark grey, almost black.  

Maybe its time I pull those off as well.   It did sound a little bit on the dull side.   I'll have to try that "dating the box" thing and see how long it goes.  

Wow pressure!  You keep your strings on waaaay longer than I do!  I don't think I've ever gone longer than a year between string changes. ?  I'm surprised at the string sizes.  I've used 12s, and typically when I have the 2nd through 6th strings have been significantly thicker - other than the High E, all of the strings on your Thomastik-Infeld set are even lighter than the Ernie Ball Cobalt 11s I have on my H-535 (I use Ernie Ball Cobalts, due to having a severe allergy to nickel, and a major allergy to chromium - for the G/3rd string I used a wound [I don't like plain 3rd strings] Cobalt .022).  I've seen light top/heavy bottom sets, but never the reverse like the Thomastik-Infelds you use.  Out of curiosity, what's reasoning for this (heavy top string, and light gauge strings for all of the rest of the strings)? 

Archived