Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus (Revisited)

tsp17

I recently posted my MB 5:50+ head for sale to try to fund another Heritage arch top purchase.  I fired it up yesterday to verify its working condition since it is now for sale.  I was sure that it was fine, but just to make sure...

I noted a lot of background noise that had never been there before.  (Lesson learned- always check gear before posting for sale.)   I hadn't played through it in a long time since I've fallen for my Vintage Sound 20 Jazz amp (love it!).

So today I re-tubed and upgraded it with MB premium preamp tubes and MB 5881-6L6s.  Played it through an Earcandy closed back, front ported 2x12.

WOW.  SO BIG and WARM cleans. Haven't tried the other channels yet.  Meant to just test it, but couldn't unplug my H550 for over an hour.

I might have to take the "For Sale" sign off.

It's funny that you posted this because just yesterday I fired up my Mesa DC2 up after an extended period of silence. I was dreaming something up that I wanted to try. I know that turning the bass control up on my EL84 powered VOX AC15HW, although counter-intuitive (thinking it will turn into mud city), really brings out some balls with the chime. So I tried it with the DC2 and damn if it didn't sound GREAT. I guess I'll have to use this amp more. To be clear, I've always liked this amp, but I have a lot of nice amps, so it hasn't got the use it deserves!

I agree with all of you.  Great amp for the sound I hear in my head.  I play a Mesa Lone Star Classic when I'm not playing my PRS amps in the living room.  Love that warm Mesa tone.  I've been tempted to by this one more than once, but I spent all my disposable income on toilet paper… :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, AP515 said:

I agree with all of you.  Great amp for the sound I hear in my head.  I play a Mesa Lone Star Classic when I'm not playing my PRS amps in the living room.  Love that warm Mesa tone.  I've been tempted to by this one more than once, but I spent all my disposable income on toilet paper… :rolleyes:

LOL

The 5881 do sound a little different from the standard 6L6's.  A little darker/warmer?  

1 hour ago, tsp17 said:

LOL

The 5881 do sound a little different from the standard 6L6's.  A little darker/warmer?  

I will almost always choose a 5881 in an amp that can run both 5881/6L6. 6L6s are usually too glassy for what I normally go for. 5881s generally breakup sooner which I like, and like you say are a bit warmer sounding.

I also like the 5881, I get a bit more usable range on my volume knob, as well. Fender Prosonic, 60w ss, rectified 50w tube recified, 30w class A. I find the 5881 which dissipates 24 watts per tube ( I think) allow's a little extra turn on the knob. Also breaks up a bit earlier. Also gives my amp a bit of a Brown face feel. 

I am so glad I didn't sell this one.  especially given how much time we'll be spending indoors and semi-isolated now.  thinking I might put 5881's in my Vintage Sound 20 now since that is what I gig with.

I think the Mesa 5881s have a 6L6 pin pattern (do all 5881s have the 6L6 matching pins?)

Yes they do. They'll breakup a bit sooner. 6l6 dissipate between 25-30 watts, whereas 5881's are around 24w. Doesnt make a ton of difference, but it gives me a bit more volume knob to play with. I believe the first jcm 800's came with 5881's, like the first run of them, I believe. They had a hard time sourcing el34's as I recall. Your Vintage sound 20 has 6l6's?

4 hours ago, Gitterman said:

Yes they do. They'll breakup a bit sooner. 6l6 dissipate between 25-30 watts, whereas 5881's are around 24w. Doesnt make a ton of difference, but it gives me a bit more volume knob to play with. I believe the first jcm 800's came with 5881's, like the first run of them, I believe. They had a hard time sourcing el34's as I recall. Your Vintage sound 20 has 6l6's?

It comes stock with 6v6 but can also take 6L6.  Requires re-biasing;  but the layout is very user friendly and even I can do it.  VS says that 6L6 will sound cleaner with more headroom, but lose 6v6 color/warmth.  That's ok, especially if I get a little back with 5881 vs 6L6.  I'd like it to stay a little cleaner at volume anyway.  I'm going to order some 5881s to put in it and I'll report back.

2 hours ago, Gitterman said:

I think you'll like them. I miss having an amp that I could swap tubes with. Please report back. Ill be curious to see how you like them.

will do.  

On 3/18/2020 at 6:08 AM, Gitterman said:

I also like the 5881, I get a bit more usable range on my volume knob, as well. Fender Prosonic, 60w ss, rectified 50w tube recified, 30w class A. I find the 5881 which dissipates 24 watts per tube ( I think) allow's a little extra turn on the knob. Also breaks up a bit earlier. Also gives my amp a bit of a Brown face feel. 

Those Prosonic 60W are sweet amps.  I've played a few of them and like it every time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the .22 cal. Great amp. One of the only el84 amps Ive ever liked, however I couldn't get enough volume out of it. At the time I was playing metal and required quite a bit of volume with the bass player I had at the time. 600w bass amps are just too much!

Archived