Heritage Owners Club

Help me with golden eagle neck measurements

znerken

Hi

i was hoping someone with a golden eagle from the good old days could help me with the measurements of the neck? Or perhaps someone know someone who used to work there? Unfortunately Heritage themselves can only provide the current measurements... Strange...

The current measurements are 

Our standard neck profile is a soft C and is typically within .820 at the 1st fret and .940 at the 12th fret.

Since the necks are hand carved, there will be fair amount of variation in the necks, depending on who was rolling it, and if a customer asked for a thick or thin neck.   The standard thickness has varied over the years.   Even today, the neck is hand carved, so it won't be as precise as a CNC neck where you can dial in X inches thick and Y inches wide with a Z profile.   They have some reference templates but nothing will be exact.

Also, you won't find records that show that Serial# XYYYYY was carved with a thick carve .910 at first fret or anything like that.    They MIGHT have a build sheet with comments on custom orders somewhere in a box but good luck on finding that.

As TRich stated above, Heritage neck profiles varied widely over the years, but most of the early archtops had relatively thin or medium thin necks.  Most of the early Golden Eagles were built to owner spec which makes it impossible to give a general answer about neck depth/measurements.  I've handled many GE's over the years and each and every one had a different neck profile.

If you are considering buying one, I'd recommend checking with the seller for specifics.

Mine is 0.84 at the first fret and 0.93 at the ninth fret.  Measurement at the 12th is kind of impossible. See pic.

Hope this helps.

GE neck.jpg

15 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Mine is 0.84 at the first fret and 0.93 at the ninth fret.  Measurement at the 12th is kind of impossible. See pic.

Hope this helps.

GE neck.jpg

Wow nice. Then the measurements I provided are probably not too far off! What year is your guitar from?

15 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Since the necks are hand carved, there will be fair amount of variation in the necks, depending on who was rolling it, and if a customer asked for a thick or thin neck.   The standard thickness has varied over the years.   Even today, the neck is hand carved, so it won't be as precise as a CNC neck where you can dial in X inches thick and Y inches wide with a Z profile.   They have some reference templates but nothing will be exact.

Also, you won't find records that show that Serial# XYYYYY was carved with a thick carve .910 at first fret or anything like that.    They MIGHT have a build sheet with comments on custom orders somewhere in a box but good luck on finding that.

My luthier also hand carves the neck. However, he still does it pretty accurately within the specc. The whole reason I am asking is I am trying to replicate that Golden Eagle I tried from the 90's. Unfortunately I can't measure it. 

1 minute ago, znerken said:

Wow nice. Then the measurements I provided are probably not too far off! What year is your guitar from?

I have owned two GEs and they both were different.  My Florentine Cutaway GE has a 1 3/4" nut so the neck is a little thin and flatter D shape.  Probably very close to SkyDog's measurements.  The other one I owned had a slightly bigger neck. 

But since the guitars made prior to 2016 were more handmade, the measurements will all vary.

Archived