Heritage Owners Club

NGD! 2020 Heritage H-150 Artesian Aged Dirty Lemon Burst!

reviresco

I recently sold my Heritage H-150 in dirty lemon burst, to fund a new guitar. I was originally trying to purchase a Friedman Vintage T. However, after thinking it over, I was sonimpressed with my first Heritage guitar, I pretty much got the same guitar in return,  but opted for the artesian aged version. 

I absolutely love the way this guitar looks. Finish checking, small dings and dents, and worn hardware. This is by far the best "relic" guitar I've played. Feels very natural and not overdone at all. It's just like pricking up an old vintage guitar thats been loved and well cared for. It also sounds fantastic, and it is one of the most resonate guitars I've had the pleasure to play. 

If you have a chance to play one, definitely check it out! Worth every penny!

IMG_20200318_120809_011.jpg

Beautiful. Did they ship it with a bottle of "artesian water"?

Are they relic-ing the cases? 

I think I've posted this same comment before but... When I went to get an R8 from CME sometime back last summer there was one of the aged H-150's that the sales guy was holding. He let me play it and it was awesome, I said I think I'll take it then he tells me that it was already sold! It was the last one they had at the time. Good choice.

3 hours ago, deytookerjaabs said:

I think I've posted this same comment before but... When I went to get an R8 from CME sometime back last summer there was one of the aged H-150's that the sales guy was holding. He let me play it and it was awesome, I said I think I'll take it then he tells me that it was already sold! It was the last one they had at the time. Good choice.

I remember how impressed you were and I asked you about the other aged guitars and you said they were great!

54 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

I remember how impressed you were and I asked you about the other aged guitars and you said they were great!

Yeah, they had at least one of the 535's that looked real nice (but I was LP shopping) IIRC. I miss being a few blocks from that place, or maybe I don't, lol. 

I am starting an H-150 aging service for both the guitar and case if anyone is interested. Just send me your new H-150 in a case and I will return it in 20 years beautifully aged and broken in.

The funny thing is that I've got a Guild S100 that is 46 years old, was gigged during the mid 70s,  was even found floating in water in my basement 12 years ago, and still doesn't look anything like these "aged" guitars.  My H157 is 17 years old, and still shines like a new one.   The H140 is 33 yrs old, was gigged by the original owner and doesn't have any finish checking.

Maybe I should start throwing my guitars around more.    Leave them in the back of the car all summer and in the trunk during winter.  

...or not!

I do have a highend expensive CP Thornton Improv where the nitro finish has checked all over the top just by sitting in it's case downstairs.  The guitar is probably 7-8 years old.  This is a FINISHED downstairs and it is slightly colder (maybe 5-7 degrees or so) than the rest of the house, and this guitar has checking all across the top.  The rest of my guitars downstairs in their cases look like new (except for the factory "reli'd" ones). 

So I feel it is the finish that matters.  Not just nitro or lacquer, but what type of nitro or lacquer finish. 

But I agree with you Rich,  finish checking is less common with just reasonable care.   I think to make a Heritage finish "check", it would have to be intentional exposed to unrealistic conditions for it to occur.

Heritage hit it out of the ballpark with these Dirty Lemon H-150s.   A beautifully designed and crafted instrument. 

If I had any space for more guitars.. it would be one of these. ... or maybe a 137... 

Congrats on the NGD ! 

5 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

The funny thing is that I've got a Guild S100 that is 46 years old, was gigged during the mid 70s,  was even found floating in water in my basement 12 years ago, and still doesn't look anything like these "aged" guitars.  My H157 is 17 years old, and still shines like a new one.   The H140 is 33 yrs old, was gigged by the original owner and doesn't have any finish checking.

Maybe I should start throwing my guitars around more.    Leave them in the back of the car all summer and in the trunk during winter.  

...or not!

53 minutes ago, Kuz said:

I do have a highend expensive CP Thornton Improv where the nitro finish has checked all over the top just by sitting in it's case downstairs.  The guitar is probably 7-8 years old.  This is a FINISHED downstairs and it is slightly colder (maybe 5-7 degrees or so) than the rest of the house, and this guitar has checking all across the top.  The rest of my guitars downstairs in their cases look like new (except for the factory "reli'd" ones). 

So I feel it is the finish that matters.  Not just nitro or lacquer, but what type of nitro or lacquer finish. 

But I agree with you Rich,  finish checking is less common with just reasonable care.   I think to make a Heritage finish "check", it would have to be intentional exposed to unrealistic conditions for it to occur.

I have to believe there is some Pete Farmer the mad scientist going on. Maybe liquid nitrogen?

1 hour ago, skydog52 said:

I have to believe there is some Pete Farmer the mad scientist going on. Maybe liquid nitrogen?

That's my point Paul, that Heritage guitars need an artificial aging agent to look anything like "finish checked".  By natural forces, Heritage guitars don't do that.

7 minutes ago, Kuz said:

That's my point Paul, that Heritage guitars need an artificial aging agent to look anything like "finish checked".  By natural forces, Heritage guitars don't do that.

I am sure there are many causes that cause checking. Wide temperature swings being the majority of the causes. 

I had a few new orders that checked and had to be redone. Marv once told me they got a bad batch of nitro and had problems.

The Old Heritage "spray booth" was not climate controlled especially as humidity was concerned so depending on the time of year that played a role in it.

However they are doing it some people are buying them and liking it.  It's not for me.

Archived