Heritage Owners Club

New Love for my 535!

DetroitBlues

I've had my 535 Custom for almost 4 years and it occurred to me recently, I never had a setup on the guitar since bringing her home.  

I have been ignoring my 535 for a few months, playing other guitars that have gone in for setups and other changes. On the occasion I'd actually play my 535, I found when I bent the strings, my fingers would go underneath the other strings when it dawned on me..  

That's when I knew, perhaps its time for a setup.

A month or so I go, I decided to try a Berkeley Music for a good cleaning and fresh setup.  (Usually go to Music Castle in Royal Oak).  Per Berkley Music's recommendation, I even decided to try some new strings, D'addario NYXL.

While I didn't like waiting nearly 2 weeks, I found the wait was worth it at the end.

Just amazing how low the action is now and how effortlessly it is to play. Jamming away last night, the harmonics were there, the sound was there.  I played for a couple hours and it didn't wear me down a bit. The guitar rings so loud acoustically with the new strings and my fingers just fly across the fingerboard.  I don't think I changed the strings in nearly 2 years, shame on me!

I know a lot of people perform their own setups, but I don't mind spending $35 for a fresh setup and a new pack of strings once a year.  

Shame, shame, shame. 

I'm glad you got it up and running great. A new tune up is required maintenance at least yearly and sometimes seasonally.

Throw a pic up. Just to remind us.

3 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Only $35 for a complete set up and strings??!!  That's way below market in my part of the world.

It was $70 at Berkley Music, but Music Castle its $35 and he gets it done in 1/2 hour.  Turn around time is a couple of days.

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Only $35 for a complete set up and strings??!!  That's way below market in my part of the world.

That's 1/4 of what I pay.  Worth every penny too.

I'm no one for bling. But an inlaid n bound headstock on a dot neck is absolutely perfect. Glad your happy with it. I also had the ol' flame rekindled after a setup on my 535 not too long ago. Fine axes. Little show. all go!

My biggest change besides switching from EB Slinky's to D'addario NYXL is string gauge too.  I've experimented going up a string gauge.  My Strat also had NYXL's, but they are 11's.  Because the guitar is set up so well, I really haven't noticed.  Playing my acoustic seems easier now though.

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

My biggest change besides switching from EB Slinky's to D'addario NYXL is string gauge too.  I've experimented going up a string gauge.  My Strat also had NYXL's, but they are 11's.  Because the guitar is set up so well, I really haven't noticed.  Playing my acoustic seems easier now though.

Do those NY XL's need quarantining for a couple weeks since they came from NY?

Come on Josh that is a beautiful 535 and you need to learn how to do that work on your own. Waiting two weeks for 15 minutes worth of work?

I know it plays better now but imagine if you were able to constantly maintain it on your own and tailor it to your preferences. It is easy.

Pulled out a '82 G&L the other day with relief under the strings just as you described. The truss rod was adjusted in the blink of an eye and it was good to go.

That guitar a killer and I am glad you are enjoying it once again.

you can do it,

y2kc

Random thoughts:
That is a sweet 535 Josh. Extra bling. And it is almost the color of that nice Epi Dot you had for sale at my last PSP. 2012 maybe. 

For that price I doubt if any frets were filed. So your high action was probably remedied by a truss rod adjustment and or a bridge height adjustment. Easy stuff to play around with if you’re so inclined. Worse comes to worse if unsuccessful bring it to the guy anyway.  I do agree though that a top tech can bring out the best in any guitar. I do simple stuff but there is that extra percentage a truly skilled tech can bring out. 

Enjoy. 

On 3/28/2020 at 8:39 AM, y2kc said:

Come on Josh that is a beautiful 535 and you need to learn how to do that work on your own. Waiting two weeks for 15 minutes worth of work?

I know it plays better now but imagine if you were able to constantly maintain it on your own and tailor it to your preferences. It is easy.

Pulled out a '82 G&L the other day with relief under the strings just as you described. The truss rod was adjusted in the blink of an eye and it was good to go.

That guitar a killer and I am glad you are enjoying it once again.

you can do it,

y2kc

There are some things I'll do:

• clean the fretboard
  • polish frets
  • lubicrate the nut
  • adjust intonation
  • adjust pickup height
  • adjust bridge height

But I don't like playing with the truss-rod nor do I adjust nut or saddle slots which sometimes needs attention. 

For what it costs, $35 is nothing, especially when it comes to strings.

Detroit,

Turn that amp up today so we can hear you all the way to northern Illinois.

Taking your guitar to an expert is a good thing. I am just very lazy and cheap.

i have had guitars that I coudn't deal with and a good tech is worth their weight in gold.

Playing my danelectro today through a full tone and vibro champ. Perfect at-home volume. Cat friendly.

stay safe

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late seeing this, but groovy!  Also, you can get a professional setup for $35 including a pack of strings?  I'll have to look for a shop like that once things get a little more normal. I have a Tele I can't get right, particularly the intonation (three steel saddles). 

I did once try to get another guitar set up, when I was early in learning and only had one electric. Shop had it for two weeks, I called, they hadn't gotten to it, so I came and got it.  I eventually got it professionally setup, as I wore out the frets. The luthier refretted it, replaced the nut, and fixed some other issues. The result was glorious, but it cost a bit.  I didn't know how much easier playing could be,  

Archived