Heritage Owners Club

PANDEMIC GUITAR PRICES

explrgab

EVERYTHING WILL SUFFER AS A RESULT OF THE COVID 19 NEW NORMAL..TO WIT....DISPOSABLE AND DISCRETIONARY INCOME...... PRIORITIES WILL RADICALLY SHIFT.  SECOND AND THIRD ORDER EFFECTS NOT READILY INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS WILL BE WITH US A LONG TIME.  RECREATION AND ENTERTAINMENT EXPENDITURES... WHEW...THE PRICE OF GUITARS AS A WHOLE..... VINTAGE AND NEW WILL SUBSTANTIALLY CHANGE...............COMMENT?

Everything changed as a result of

• WW1
  • Great Depression
  • WW2
  • 73 Stock market crash
  • The Dot Com bubble
  • 9/11
  • 2008 Recession
  • dozens of other events in history

Things will get back to normal.   It may not happen in 30 days, but life outside the house will return.

There will be a virtual flood of used gear in the upcoming weeks.   Probably some pretty good deals will be had.  

Selling will be tough.  Flooded market will drive prices down in a used market that is already overflowing with gear.  

2 hours ago, brentrocks said:

There will be a virtual flood of used gear in the upcoming weeks.   Probably some pretty good deals will be had.  

Selling will be tough.  Flooded market will drive prices down in a used market that is already overflowing with gear.  

With a new 137 on the way, it’s left me tempted to sell my GT 150, especially since GM cut my salary.  Knowing I won’t get squat for it, I’m trying my best to live with it and keep it.

problem is, most gigging musicians are unemployed and wont be buying gear. if they sell gear to keep afloat, they'll lose their butts. only people that will afford to buy are hobby musicians that still have a job or a pension/social security. I have 30+ guitars. if i was ever in need of money, i'd just sell a few guitars and be ok. but with the lack of other working musicians not working, they will not be buying.

9 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Everything changed as a result of

• WW1
  • Great Depression
  • WW2
  • 73 Stock market crash
  • The Dot Com bubble
  • 9/11
  • 2008 Recession
  • dozens of other events in history

Things will get back to normal.   It may not happen in 30 days, but life outside the house will return.

Yes,... a new and different normal each time....

I was about to list a Collings CL and procrastination got the better of me. Now I’m contemplating getting a set of HB sized P90s for it. I didn’t really want to sell it all that badly anyway. I’m lucky that I have a job that is and probably will last through this but my wife now has almost zero income. We can make it on my income but that means no guitar buying. I think there are quite a few people in the same boat that I am in. I don’t need to sell anything to make ends meet but I’m not buying either. I am guessing that when we get to the very lowest point of the economy through this it will be an equal amount of time or even longer to get back out. I might be retired by then,  4.5 years away. 

Curiously- Notes I'm getting from Reverb say that prices are stable and in some cases even up from a year ago.  I just sold my H150 for a decent price (higher than what was offered here on HOC, even  after Reverb fees). 

On 4/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, brentrocks said:

So you are saying this is NOT a good time to maximize my sale prices on the Heritage collection????

On 4/10/2020 at 9:36 PM, DetroitBlues said:

With a new 137 on the way, it’s left me tempted to sell my GT 150, especially since GM cut my salary.  Knowing I won’t get squat for it, I’m trying my best to live with it and keep it.

PSP model?

The market is (and has been) slow for a while now. I really haven't seen a whole ton of "Covid" prices yet. The prices for use Heritage guitars over on "The Verb", still seem to be on the high side. But there are more than a few H137's that seem like pretty good deals.

There will definitely be a reset.  The new normal will not be normal.  Music and guitars will be the least of our concerns.  China isn't going to be happy with the political fallout when it is learned that they accidently and ineptly let the virus out of their lab in Wuhan, and we as a country aren't going to be happy when we find that out either.  The economy is going to change since it was based on a cheap labor in China model.  That model isn't going to work any more.

It's an odd mix for a market. From what I can see, a lot of people are selling, especially those who earn a significant portion of income from gigging. But a lot of retailers are closed and not many new instruments being made. So those who are okay financially may be looking to buy, especially as many are in need of things to do and/or an outlet for jobs which have become more risky and difficult. So the used market is active.

Personally, I've been considering selling four of my seven guitars--starting with the two I paid the most for--and one of my three amps, but I'll wait for now.  (But doing price research on Reverb and other sites has me thinking of possible trades/replacements, then thinking, "Stop it!"). Really I don't have much reason to have more than an electric, an acoustic, and an amp.

22 hours ago, AP515 said:

There will definitely be a reset.  The new normal will not be normal.  Music and guitars will be the least of our concerns.  

I think we will always be concerned with our love for music and our love for guitars. Our purchasing decisions may be altered going forward. Gigs and music production may take much longer to return to a level of normality. And you are correct, China will be forever on our chit list. 

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

I think we will always be concerned with our love for music and our love for guitars. Our purchasing decisions may be altered going forward. Gigs and music production may take much longer to return to a level of normality. And you are correct, China will be forever on our chit list. 

I agree my love for music and guitars will not change.  I'll still be banging out dog howl worthy stuff for years to come.  I just think the days of 1st world problems are going to look like fantasy land as we move into this brave new world where fear rules and freedom is curtailed.

Archived