Heritage Owners Club

Is it worth changing out Seymour Duncan ‘59s to Antiquities?

TomW

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread (oh, and btw, I am not new here...had to change my account info because my old account info got lost or something).  So several years ago now, I picked up a used H150 at GC in K'zoo.  GC wanted $1200, I offered $1000 and we did the deal.  Apart from a broken pickup ring and absolutely terrible setup, the guitar was solid.  I believe it had Duncan 59's in the bridge and neck.  So, as I have a lot of guitars, I did play my H150 here and there but it just wasn't doing it for me so it sat in its case a lot.   Forward a couple of years...GC some kind of special and I was looking to buy something.  I bought a set of SD Antiquities (MJ wound) and saved some $$.  The pickups sat for a couple of months until I could figure where to put them.  Finally, I decided to put them in the 150.  Even the guitar tech (who doesn't get too excited about anything) said the move to Antiquities was right.  I didn't know what he meant until I took the guitar home and played it.  WOW.  What a difference.  The mids just sang out and really shined.  Overdriven, she screamed!  Long story short, I own about 45 guitars (last count) and my H150 is my go to.  I play it more than any other guitar (and I have some NICE guitars).  Putting the Antiquities (MJ wound) made all the difference.  I actually am sitting on a second set...I bought an Epi LP Custom cheap and will swap out the pups to Antiquities (when all this COVID crap blows over).  I've got 59's in other guitars, throbacks, classic 57's (my second fav set) and they all sound great but I am a huge fan of Antiquities (MJ wound of course).

The basic choice is between A5 and A2. Each has its advantages. For me, A5s in a LP-style guitar can be a little too bright or chimey on the top end, especially if you're playing clean or low gain. The Duncan 59 adds in the disadvantage of being a little woolly on the low end when you add some gain, though they are basically a decent pickup.

The Duncan Alnico Pro II is a good option if you want a rock sound from an A2 but don't want to pay for boutique pickups, and the Slash signature set is similar but offers higher output. Gives a nice snarl.

Archived