Heritage Owners Club

The 150gt and a cranked ‘62 Concert

zguitar71

I was home alone for a bit today so I thought I would Harass the neighborhood. Here is the GT straight into a ‘62 Fender concert on the “normal” channel with the volume on 7 and the treble and bass on 6. This combo shakes the house and it can be felt in your bones. I had the amp in another room with the door slightly open. I was about 10 feet from the door and 20 from the amp. 

1EE9B973-4DFA-4B59-8D0A-42316AFE4BE6.jpeg

Sweet!

Although I've yet to hear my P-90 GT sound bad through any amp. 

Say, the guy in that photo looks vaguely familiar... I believe he had his P-90 GT phase too.

Four tens in it? What kind?

1 hour ago, rwinking said:

Four tens in it? What kind?

Yes, 10s. They are Mojotone M10RR, older ones I think. Basic copies of Jensen 10s that came in amps of this era. They sound great at all volumes in this amp. Never too shrill. The amp has quite a bit of low end and mids so it really gets fat compared to a Blackface amp. It’s meaner and nastier than a 59 Bassman too, my harp player has a real one and I prefer this amp to it. 

2 hours ago, Yooper said:

Sweet!

Although I've yet to hear my P-90 GT sound bad through any amp. 

Say, the guy in that photo looks vaguely familiar... I believe he had his P-90 GT phase too.

I’m still in my P90 phase, I think it is here to stay. I have 3 P90 guitars now. I have a HB Collings CL that I was going to sell but I think I may find some HB sized P90s for it and keep it. 

58 minutes ago, zguitar71 said:

I’m still in my P90 phase, I think it is here to stay.

'Til death do we part. GT is my fave. LP Special, Tele, and Godin Kingpin are my other P-90 delivery systems.

I once read humbuckers are for hearing the amp, while P-90s are for hearing the guitar.

Ooh!!  that sounds so noice!!  It makes me want to crank and blast my H-535!  The only problem is, that it would get me evicted from my apartment building!  ?  I used to have a '62 Tremolux (complete with the matching 2 x 10" cabinet), that had that sort of growly, brownface sound (I wish kept it, but at the time, I didn't think it fit the band I was in).

Ellen - at home (I'm only working 4 days a week because of Covid-19)

On 5/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, EllenGtrGrl said:

Ooh!!  that sounds so noice!!  It makes me want to crank and blast my H-535!  The only problem is, that it would get me evicted from my apartment building!  ?  I used to have a '62 Tremolux (complete with the matching 2 x 10" cabinet), that had that sort of growly, brownface sound (I wish kept it, but at the time, I didn't think it fit the band I was in).

Ellen - at home (I'm only working 4 days a week because of Covid-19)

Tremolux!  Maybe THE most underrated Fender amp...ever!  Tremelo to die for! 

This Concert has the same tremolo as the Tremolux. I think the late Brownface tremolo (on the bigger amps) is the best Fender ever made. It was too complicated and costly to stay. It almost sounds like a Leslie when it is slow. 

I remember playing through one of those. It was so cool...almost like a phase shifter but more (and I hate this f#cking word!) organic.

It takes 2 1/2 tubes to run the tremolo. It does the simple part of turning the power tubes on and off with the bias but then the other 4 side of the 12ax7s are used to modulate the high and low. It is very close to a phase shifter flangey sound. 

15 hours ago, zguitar71 said:

It takes 2 1/2 tubes to run the tremolo. It does the simple part of turning the power tubes on and off with the bias but then the other 4 side of the 12ax7s are used to modulate the high and low. It is very close to a phase shifter flangey sound. 

Great tone out of that H150 and that 'ol concert. Years ago, I had a '62 Super with that trem, it was KILLER! I kick myself for getting rid of it! 

9 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Great tone out of that H150 and that 'ol concert. Years ago, I had a '62 Super with that trem, it was KILLER! I kick myself for getting rid of it! 

On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, rwinking said:

I remember playing through one of those. It was so cool...almost like a phase shifter but more (and I hate this f#cking word!) organic.

I looked at the schematic closer and read some stuff about the harmonic tremolo. It takes the signal and splits it with a high and low pass filter and sends it through the tremolo circuit. It basically makes a stereo signal which is why it needs so many tubes to run. One side is all the low end the other is the high end. Then it puts it back into the main circuit at the phase inverter and makes it mono again. The result is the low end increases with volume as the high end decreases and when it maxes out it reverses and goes the other way. So the tremolo gives an on off effect but at the same time the volume never leaves as the high/low modulation occurs. This give the swooshy phase shifter sound. It’s like a tremolo and phase shifter all at once. This all happens on top of the dry signal. Together it is the coolest, imo, tremolo out there. 

1 minute ago, zguitar71 said:

I looked at the schematic closer and read some stuff about the harmonic tremolo. It takes the signal and splits it with a high and low pass filter and sends it through the tremolo circuit. It basically makes a stereo signal which is why it needs so many tubes to run. One side is all the low end the other is the high end. Then it puts it back into the main circuit at the phase inverter and makes it mono again. The result is the low end increases with volume as the high end decreases and when it maxes out it reverses and goes the other way. So the tremolo gives an on off effect but at the same time the volume never leaves as the high/low modulation occurs. This give the swooshy phase shifter sound. It’s like a tremolo and phase shifter all at once. This all happens on top of the dry signal. Together it is the coolest, imo, tremolo out there. 

When I was younger I really didn't use trem that much, but now I use it all the time, hence why I'm kicking myself! Fender harmonic trem and magnatone trem are the ones to get!

Archived