Heritage Owners Club

Wiring harness changeout/shielding

TomW

Hey all, 

I’m about to get started on a PU changeout (new Seth Lovers) on my 94 H-150, including the wiring harness. I was just wondering, is it worthwhile shielding the cavities (PU’s, Control, and Jack)? Have any of you tried this, or is it a waste of time? By the way, the cavities are painted, as far as I can see.

Have a great day 

Tom

I've never had to shield a guitar with dual humbuckers. It really doesn't matter on dual humbucker guitars. Strats are another issue. Single coils pick up all kinds of extraneous noise. 

I would do it, since it is really easy to do and could not hurt.  If you paint the inside of the cavity with shielding paint, and put a piece of copper tape on the inside of the plastic cover, it takes very little time.

I think it depends a lot on how bad your electromagnetic environment is, whether you notice a difference.  I've noticed that those big old fluorescent lights are particularly bad . . .

One thing I would do for certain -- make sure you connect a ground wire to the bridge (it's probably already there).  Once I tried to do without that -- the idea is to prevent the possibility of getting shocked in the occasional situation where the electrical outlet wiring is incorrect.  Even with maximum shielding and two humbuckers, I got hum -- so I reconnected the bridge ground wire -- hum went away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:41 AM, TomW said:

Hey all, 

I’m about to get started on a PU changeout (new Seth Lovers) on my 94 H-150, including the wiring harness. I was just wondering, is it worthwhile shielding the cavities (PU’s, Control, and Jack)? Have any of you tried this, or is it a waste of time? By the way, the cavities are painted, as far as I can see.

Have a great day 

Tom

Waste of time. Wire it right with humbuckers, and  you should have no problem at all,

30 minutes ago, KEITHSPANGLE said:

better to invest in a  good quality guitar lead, old guitar leads will pick up far more interference than a humbucker will

Blimey limey, tell me what is a guitar "lead"?   Some of us on the other side of the pond speak a different English.

Archived