Heritage Owners Club

Swapping Schaller pickups to Seth Lover

Albaez

Hi, everyone, I'm new in this Forum. I have a Heritage H535 and H550 with Schaller pickups but I'm tempted to change the pickups to Seth Lover like the new ones. I play mostly jazz, blues and fusion with light overdrive. I want to know if anyone made this change and liked the sound better. I saw a video of Rich Severson comparing both pickups and liked the Schallers over the Seth Lover in a H575. Someone commented that he installed Seth Lover and changed back to Schallers for retaining the sound of the wood better. Someone that had the same experience? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

It's really hard to beat the Seth Lover pickups. If you want the sound of original PAF pickups, they're where it's at. They go very well with styles of music you've described. I've never really cared for the Schaller pickups myself. Over the years I've had quite a few different Heritage guitars, and I always wound up swapping pickups. To me, at best the Schallers are just okay.

Been playing for fifty years, plus or minus.  Have owned a pile of guitars dating from '52 on....  Gigged my 535 a lot.  I haven't swapped out the p'ups in it.  Mine came with Lovers.  I couldn't imagine a better pickup in that guitar.  Could. Not.  

I had Seths in an LP for quite a few years and found them to be an extremely balanced pickup, the only reason I swapped them out was because I wanted to try a Pure Handwound (wound by hand, not guided on a machine by hand) custom humbucker made by David Plummer of Zhangbucker. The newer humbuckers were marginally better than the Seths. As for Schallers, I've never heard a set that did it for me. But with pickups, like anything else, they need to line up with the guitar that they are in! 

• 2 months later...

Archived