Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
Gitfiddler

Custom Shop H-150 @ Musician's Friend

On 6/11/2020 at 6:00 PM, y2kc said:

Also why do folks discredit Bigsby trems so much? Tone suckers? I don't know , I have never had one . I have heard

Once upon a time, deep in the mists of HOC history, some member here once owned a beautifully figured and finished H-170 that may have had an ebony board and trap inlays. The only oddity of the build was a Bigsby. For whatever reason, said owner of said guitar dubbed the Bigsby "The ToneSucker(tm)". He may have even taken pictures of the ToneSucker H-170 with his kids' cat, making various disparaging remarks. He was probably inebriated at the time, but who can say?

Truth be told, that particular guitar, in that particular configuration, was an absolute monster. According to the legend, it played like the proverbial butter (not the cultureally-insensitive Land 'O Lakes kind, either; think the kind your great-great-grandmother made with a churn down on the farm) and sounded like the Voice of <insert-diety-of-your-choice-here> with the HRW pickups. It even had the cool black switch tip with the white dot, they say!

In a bout of stupidity (something that happened over and over), said owner offered for sale the fabled ToneSucker(tm) H-170 here on the HOC. Who bought it is, alas, also lost in the mists of HOC history, and it has never surfaced again. The ToneSucker(tm) has, thus, attained mythical proportions and serves as a touchstone of what the original owners were capable of delivering during the golden age.

Rob, Jim, Lyle, Brent, probably several others can back up this apocryphal tale as I believe they may have actually handled (or maybe merely laid eyes on) said ToneSucker(tm) H-170 at one of the early PSPs. I only repeat the story as it's been handed down to me. I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of any of the preceding.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Live and learn. Now I understand.

Thank you 

y2kc

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dick Seacup said:

In memoriam, A. A. H.

Why must I continually relive this pain?

It's a shared affliction!

"Rob, Jim, Lyle, Brent, probably several others can back up this apocryphal tale as I believe they may have actually handled (or maybe merely laid eyes on) said ToneSucker(tm) H-170 at one of the early PSPs. I only repeat the story as it's been handed down to me. I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of any of the preceding."

Indeed, I can verify this particular bit of apocrypha.  It was an unutterably magnificent Heritage piece!  I would have owned it in a nanosecond!  Somehow missed that it had been put on the block.  Kicking myself ever since!  And, in a hugely unfair series of ongoing posts, I take Dixie with me in my revisitations for what? ten years now.  Sorry, Dick...sort of.   

•  
Edited by yoslate
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:53 PM, Dick Seacup said:

Once upon a time, deep in the mists of HOC history, some member here once owned a beautifully figured and finished H-170 that may have had an ebony board and trap inlays. The only oddity of the build was a Bigsby.

Beaucoup tone here...

img_5202_std.jpg

• Like 1

I love a Chet bar on a ToneSucker. If I recall, the H-170 had the butter knife. Or maybe it was more of a gardening trowel. That 555 is absolutely, drop dead gorgeous, Bird! 

Um, Mr. C-Cup,

Nope.  I wasn't involved.  No way.  Never touched that (alleged) H-170, never played it, never saw it, have never even seen a picture of it.  Innocent, that's me.  Totally.  

However, bouts of stupidity do seem to rear their ugly head, as one year I inexplicably sold two of my Heritage guitars, a lovely H155 and a big-necked H137.  To the same guy, even.

Fortunately I had the great good sense to buy both of them back shortly thereafter.  From the same guy, even. 

A fitting end to your sordid tale would be for the former owner (whoever that might be) of the subject H-170 (assuming it actually exists) to spend some time tracking it down, and BUYING IT BACK.  Jeez, seems simple enough to me. 

This topic is sensitive and seems to bring strong emotions from folks that experienced this tone sucking. I apologize for bringing this up and hopefully

this story will go back to the dark place it had been hiding. Again I am sorry. This had to have been horrible.

y2kc

The real answer to the problem is to NEVER SELL ANYTHING!     After all,  you can always add a new wing to the house, or convert the garage to a climate controlled studio/guitar storage area.  

No sale... no seller remorse!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Came across this ad and had to share it.  Musician's Friend is offering a unique Custom Shop H-150.  

$3,999!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/heritage-custom-shop-h-150-limited-edition-electric-guitar/l51852000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuNqUiv_36QIVcz2tBh3LbAGNEAQYAyABEgKCr_D_BwE#productDetail

SPECIFICATIONS
Body
  • Body shape: Single cutaway
  • Body type: Solid body
  • Body material: Solid wood
  • Top wood: Mahogany
  • Body wood: Lightweight Mahogany
  • Body finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
  • Orientation: Right handed
Neck
  • Neck shape: '50s rounded
  • Neck wood: Mahogany
  • Joint: Set-in
  • Scale length: 24.75 in.
  • Truss rod: Standard
  • Neck finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
Fingerboard
  • Material: Ebony
  • Radius: 12 in.
  • Fret size: Medium jumbo
  • Number of frets: 20
  • Inlays: Block
  • Nut width/material 1.687 in. (42.8 mm) Graphite
Pickups
  • Configuration: SS
  • Neck: P-90
  • Bridge: P-90
  • Brand: Lollar
  • Active or passive pickups: Passive
  • Series or parallel: Parallel
Controls
  • Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, tone 1, tone 2
  • Pickup switch: 3-way
Hardware
  • Bridge type: Fixed
  • Bridge design: Vintage-style wraparound
  • Tuning machines: Vintage-style keystone
  • Color: Nickel

With exception to the bound body and carved top, this is most similar to the HOC H137 LE.  Just think, you'll save more than $2000 for the HOC H137 LE and you get a bound neck.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, Dick Seacup said:

That 555 is absolutely, drop dead gorgeous, Bird! 

Damn right it is.  It deserves better than me.  As far as I know, two owners were not able to bond with this guitar.  For me it is perfect.  I added the Chet bar after I got it.  I do have to say the Bigsby on this one is heavy as can be.  I don't use it much but when I need it it doesn't go out of tune as much as you would suspect.  It isn't made for dive bombing.  ;^) 

Actually it is a 2003 535 custom.  It came with HRW pups but I changed them out for Phat Cats.  Run it through a Dallas Arbiter BYOC clone and into a Vox AC-15.  It howls with tone.