Heritage Owners Club

HOC 137 Resurrection Thread!

DetroitBlues

8 hours ago, Farmboyjo said:

Oof...  Punch in the gut.  I was able to avoid buying this the first time around up to the PSP date.  Did not need a resurrection thread tempting me again.  Maybe it's time to sell a bunch of lesser/excess gear and get something with a story.  I love guitars I can talk about - like most of us here - and a guitar made by Pete is a story in my mind.  

Absolutely!

now it’s only a custom shop model and there is still a great deal to be had on one of these!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Looking good.  How's she sound?  Nice snatch!

Those Mojotone Quiet Coil A5's are the best sounding P90's I've tried yet.  They are clear, with a nice tonal balance, but can get raunchy when pushed.  I dig their attitude and lack of hum.

My other gits have Lollars and Gib-son P90's which are nice too, but if I were to do another custom build archtop, I'd go with a set of these Mojotones.

26 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Those Mojotone Quiet Coil A5's are the best sounding P90's I've tried yet.  They are clear, with a nice tonal balance, but can get raunchy when pushed.  I dig their attitude and lack of hum.

My other gits have Lollars and Gib-son P90's which are nice too, but if I were to do another custom build archtop, I'd go with a set of these Mojotones.

It's a good life!  I'm waiting on DBlues' report on the gibbon vs Mojotones.  I like what I'm reading.

Congrats

On 8/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, Steiner said:

It's a good life!  I'm waiting on DBlues' report on the gibbon vs Mojotones.  I like what I'm reading.

Congrats

The Gibbons is waiting for a little help to be completed so it can get a fair shake in the tonality department.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

The Gibbons is waiting for a little help to be completed so it can get a fair shake in the tonality department.

Gibbonss always have much work to do...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

OK, I've been enjoying my H137 for a while now, but have a question for other owners.

How does one raise/lower the Mojotone P-90 pickups?  The two Philips head screws don't seem to move the pickups up or down very much.

My neck pickup is much louder than the bridge p'up and I'd like to lower the neck a bit.  So far the minimal available adjustment made little difference.

I can't answer the question but do note that the standard P-90 soap bar depth is .67", at least on the Bare Knuckle.  The standard Mojotone is .66".  The Quiet Coil Mojotone is .71" deep.  What that makes me wonder is if the spring that allows height adjustment was clipped to install the bridge pickup incorrectly for the depth.  I'm sure whatever the issue is that there is an easy fix.  It doesn't involve brain surgery!

Here's a video on the mechanics of height adjustment.  I'd start it at about 6 minutes.  I warn you that this video has a surprise and sad ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_PJ3uX90fA

Thanks, Marty.  Interesting video.  Can't wait to see 'Part II'. 

The lack of adjustment in my neck P90 may be due to the lack of body depth.  H-137's are very skinny. 

Since Mojotone had no info I'll check with the factory before forcing it further.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:33 AM, DetroitBlues said:

Curious, I never noticed.  They sound well balanced to me.  Much better than my old Stratocaster with flat poles.

Problem solved.  (operator error, as usual!)

The pickup heights are fine and balanced.  I messed around with the amp EQ and things sound great.  A little mid-range adjustment was all it took.

• 1 month later...

I’m actually about to pull the trigger on an older 137, but I had no idea this limited run even existed! Very cool! Are the main differences in the PUPs and bound neck from the “standard” production 137s? 
Has anyone had both to contrast/compare?

And I’m really digging that limited 150 next to it! Can anyone tell if that’s also TV yellow or if that’s actually a Korina body? The black binding looks great on that.

thanks,

Memphis

12 hours ago, Memphis said:

I’m actually about to pull the trigger on an older 137, but I had no idea this limited run even existed! Very cool! Are the main differences in the PUPs and bound neck from the “standard” production 137s? 

And I’m really digging that limited 150 next to it! Can anyone tell if that’s also TV yellow or if that’s actually a Korina body? The black binding looks great on that.

thanks,

Memphis

I haven’t owned another 137, but played plenty of them over the years...

The bound neck, which this is a large neck, real 50’s beefy neck is a huge difference.

Also, soap bar versus dog ear P90’s, open gear tuners, thumb bleeders...

For the most part, a lot of things can be swapped out, but you cannot add binding or make the neck bigger.

If you like bigger necks and the look of binding, this is the model for you.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:47 AM, Memphis said:

thanks,

Memphis

I'm thinking that is this 2019 Custom Winter Namm H-150 .... Mahogany Body / Mahogany Cap - Designed by Pete!

AJ10401C.jpg

On 2/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, Gitfiddler said:

OK, I've been enjoying my H137 for a while now, but have a question for other owners.

How does one raise/lower the Mojotone P-90 pickups?  The two Philips head screws don't seem to move the pickups up or down very much.

My neck pickup is much louder than the bridge p'up and I'd like to lower the neck a bit.  So far the minimal available adjustment made little difference.

I didn't notice that Tim, but I will contrast the two pickups over the next several days and see if mine exhibits the same difference

So how many total of the HOC 137 edition guitars were made ?  Was it 7?

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

I didn't notice that Tim, but I will contrast the two pickups over the next several days and see if mine exhibits the same difference

Problem solved, Will.  I needed to adjust my amp settings.  Different amps and my playing dynamics also make a difference.  No adjustment needed on the 137.

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Problem solved, Will.  I needed to adjust my amp settings.  Different amps and my playing dynamics also make a difference.  No adjustment needed on the 137.

Good going. Now I need to dig my 137 and spank it a bit- after I am done at the beach!

Archived