Heritage Owners Club

Value of my guitar?

VickyFl

I'm trying to find out the value of my H-150 custom maple curly top. It is absolutely NOT for sale. I'd say it's a collectors item, so I am curious about its value. I think there is a high possibility mine was actually made in late November 1984. (I'm already aware Heritage didn't "officially" start until 1985) I've come to the 1984 conclusion from researching their serial number meaning. The serial number on mine starts with "A" and that's not even listed as a possibility on Heritage guitars own site. Their serial numbers start with "B". Thoughts? 

Just a reminder, it is not for sale! 

(sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I just joined 10 min ago.) 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi VickyFl~ Welcome to the HOC.  We don't really have a way to give you reliable info on the value of your H150, especially without seeing it.  One of the best ways of understanding the market for any guitar, collectible or not, is to check 'sold' values on Ebay or Reverb.  There are also a few dealers who can give you better market prices.  Remember there are 'asking prices' and 'selling prices'.  There are a few folks here who have sold quite a few Heritage H-150's who can give you a range.  So start by checking the market, then compare that to what you're willing to accept.  Good luck.

"It is absolutely NOT for sale." " I'd say it's a collectors item...."  "Just a reminder, it is not for sale!"  Outside of insurance purposes, I'd say its value is a moot point.  The market, which would, of course, determine value, is really soft right now.  Having it appraised might be a bit disappointing.  People are either selling things on the cheap because they need the cabbage, or just holding on to them.  And as conventional wisdom goes, something's worth what you can get for it.  I have a really high end piece I'm trying to move now, knowing I'll take a bath on it.  All that having been said, you've provided no salient details nor pictures of the guitar, other than "custom maple curly top."  Most 150 CM's have figured maple caps.  What's "custom" about it?  Not to be intentionally difficult, but you've given the many knowledgeable people here virtually nothing to go on.  Details, pics, description (start with details on the label on the back side of the cavity cover on the guitar's back).  The "A" serial number is interesting, but it's only a scant start.    

The Heritage H-150 was introduced in 1988..  The only solidbody that they made in 1984 (pre-production) was an H-140.  And the few of those that we've seen were a mahogany top. 

Yes , some photos would help.... 

Yoslate-  Ok, I need to back up a bit and inform you I personally know nothing about guitars. Zip! I don't think you're being difficult at all, I appreciate your input. It's my lack of knowledge that is the problem and I wrongly assumed I could share the above info and people would know exactly what I was talking about. The value is not really moot to me in that I'm thinking about taking lessons. I don't want to be practicing/handling daily a guitar that is worth a large chunk of change and me not even be aware of it. I'd rather learn on something that I won't freak out about if I accidentally banged it on something. 

The custom part are the inlays in the neck. The only numbers anywhere on the guitar is the "A" serial number. 

Also, after reading the post from Fredzepp below, I'm now unsure if it's even an h-150. I was told that's what it was after sending pics of it to Heritage a number of years ago asking for info for what model it was. It's possible it's an H-140. 

I'm working on pics, it's telling me file size currently too large. ?‍♀️

Definitely an H-140  ( first edition)    and with some great inlays.  JP Moats may have played a part in the design of this instrument. He was one of the original owners and liked lots of bling. 

Have you taken off the cover on the large control cavity on the back... it may have a label that tells us more... 

Love the look of this one...  

Can we see the serial number and if there is a label? 

Thank you for that information FredZepp! Yes I took off both back covers looking for labels and there weren't any. 

The little additional back story of what I do know about this guitar: I was told it was the 7th one ever made and the 5th custom. An in-law of mine did most, if not all, of the custom inlay work for Gibbons for the better part of 30+ years. When I got this guitar in early 1985 I was told there were a few "top Gibbons" people that were working on this new line called The Heritage inside the Gibbons plant, but it was to be kept on the down low. (all mysterious and stuff. Lol) My in-laws had ended up with 2 guitars and wanted to know if I wanted to buy one. $300 later I had this guitar. ?

Screenshot_20200818-012100_Gallery.jpg

'Gib son' is always changed to 'Gibbons' on this site.  It's not you.  We all deal with that.

I've seen those inlays before, and I think it was on an H-140.  I my fading memory serves, it was a former Heritage' custom employee build. 

Maybe others can chime in.

Gitfiddler - Thanks for letting me know, I thought I was losing my mind for a minute with gibbons all over the place. 

That's interesting about it possibly being a custom employee build, it would make perfect sense given the connections at the time. 

The inlays are very similar to, if not the same as, the Les Paul Artisan model.

1977 Gibson Les Paul Artisan Walnut > Guitars Electric Solid Body ...

I wonder if the bridge and tailpiece are original - they look like a Nashville set, rather than the Schaller set used on early Heritages. Did Heritage use Schaller hardware and pickups right from the start, or did they use some left over Gibbons parts?

8 hours ago, FredZepp said:

The Heritage H-150 was introduced in 1988..  The only solidbody that they made in 1984 (pre-production) was an H-140.  And the few of those that we've seen were a mahogany top. 

Yes , some photos would help.... 

I was thinking the same thing.

1 hour ago, bobmeyrick said:

The inlays are very similar to, if not the same as, the Les Paul Artisan model.

I wonder if the bridge and tailpiece are original - they look like a Nashville set, rather than the Schaller set used on early Heritages. Did Heritage use Schaller hardware and pickups right from the start, or did they use some left over Gibbons parts?

The pickup rings are Schaller.  I'd wager they were swapped out.

Heritage used Schaller parts except for tuners.  (Gibbons used Schaller too at that time).  

Since the bridge and tailpiece were changed, the "collector" value has already been diminished.

Unfortunately, there is no collectibility for Heritage guitars.  They are guitars to be played, not stored in a display case or a museum. 

I'm not saying I don't think they should be collectible, but there is so little history of the brand, regardless of being around nearly as long as PRS.

Unfortunately, Heritage went for older Country and Jazz artists, not the rock legends for their endorsers.  So they never reached the popularity or marketing value of PRS.

The value of your guitar I'd wager is maybe $1500.

10 minutes ago, Steiner said:

The pickup rings are Schaller.  I'd wager they were swapped out.

So they are. I notice that Schaller pickups have three mounting holes per side, so they can be mounted conventionally with one screw, as well as the more usual (for them) two screws.

Vintage Schaller Golden 50 Alnico 4 Wire Humbucker pickup | Reverb

In any case, an interesting guitar, and I like the "Artisan" inlays.

5 minutes ago, bobmeyrick said:

So they are. I notice that Schaller pickups have three mounting holes per side, so they can be mounted conventionally with one screw, as well as the more usual (for them) two screws.

Vintage Schaller Golden 50 Alnico 4 Wire Humbucker pickup | Reverb

In any case, an interesting guitar, and I like the "Artisan" inlays.

I think Schaller has the right idea.  With the angled neck pocket, the four adjustments screws allows for a more parallel alignment of the strings to the pickups.

9 hours ago, VickyFl said:

Yoslate-  Ok, I need to back up a bit and inform you I personally know nothing about guitars. Zip! I don't think you're being difficult at all, I appreciate your input. It's my lack of knowledge that is the problem and I wrongly assumed I could share the above info and people would know exactly what I was talking about. The value is not really moot to me in that I'm thinking about taking lessons. I don't want to be practicing/handling daily a guitar that is worth a large chunk of change and me not even be aware of it. I'd rather learn on something that I won't freak out about if I accidentally banged it on something. 

The custom part are the inlays in the neck. The only numbers anywhere on the guitar is the "A" serial number. 

Also, after reading the post from Fredzepp below, I'm now unsure if it's even an h-150. I was told that's what it was after sending pics of it to Heritage a number of years ago asking for info for what model it was. It's possible it's an H-140. 

I'm working on pics, it's telling me file size currently too large. ?‍♀️

OK...now we're getting somewhere.  Good follow-up post, VickyFl.  Figured some info, and primarily pictures, would bring the cognoscenti, and there is a bunch here, out of the woodwork.  You'll generate a lot of useful info.  And value notwithstanding, that would be a very cool, quality piece to begin lessons on!  Inlay looks exceptionally nicely done!  And, as I've often intoned here, quoting a mentor of mine: "Just play the fncking thing!"  

Bobmeyrick - After looking at closer images of the Les Paul artisan, you are correct. The headstock is different, but the neck inlays are exactly the same! Nice catch and kind of cool to know! 

DetroitBlues - Your comment of something being swapped out had me totally confused. I didn't know anything actually had been until today! Around 20 yrs ago a friend took it because he wanted to play a couple of sets with it in some special event his band was playing at. He mentioned to hubby (I just found out) he had strings lowered. Hubby didn't know parts were swapped out to do that, so didn't think anything about it at the time. On a side note, I think thats a bs move for someone to do to another persons guitar, even if that person doesn't know how play the dang thing. Anyway, thanks for the info and the guesstimate on the value. 

Yoslate - ha! I agree with your mentor, excellent advice! I think I'll do just that! 

EVERYONE - Thank you all so very very much for your advice and input!! It has been beyond helpful and informative! 

One last question, and I realize this is going to sound realll stupid to most of you, but like I said, I currently know zero about guitars... (I had to Google "parts of a guitar" to even know the headstock was called a headstock. Lol)... When I call to set up lessons and the person asks me what kind of guitar I have (or for anyone who asks now that I think about it), what do I say? Lol God, this is so embarrassing. I mean I can't imagine saying "heritage H-140", like every instructor knows every model of every brand. So what type, style, or kind is my guitar, other than a Heritage electric? 

26 minutes ago, VickyFl said:

One last question, and I realize this is going to sound realll stupid to most of you, but like I said, I currently know zero about guitars... (I had to Google "parts of a guitar" to even know the headstock was called a headstock. Lol)... When I call to set up lessons and the person asks me what kind of guitar I have (or for anyone who asks now that I think about it), what do I say? Lol God, this is so embarrassing. I mean I can't imagine saying "heritage H-140", like every instructor knows every model of every brand. So what type, style, or kind is my guitar, other than a Heritage electric? 

Quickest way to describe the guitar, which many people often do, is call it a Les Paul.  The design queue is taken directly from the original Les Paul, although the H-140 is not an exact copy.

By the way, I think Heritage had a few left over fretboards from with Gibbsons moved out.

This 1985 Heritage H140 has an ebony fretboard with mini-blocks.  Gibbons used fretboards like that in the 70's.

(notice, this is how the bridge and tailpiece should have looked like on your guitar)

H140 After.JPG

Archived