Heritage Owners Club

Value of my guitar?

VickyFl

35 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

By the way, I think Heritage had a few left over fretboards from with Gibbsons moved out.

This 1985 Heritage H140 has an ebony fretboard with mini-blocks.  Gibbons used fretboards like that in the 70's.

(notice, this is how the bridge and tailpiece should have looked like on your guitar)

Here's a thought. Could the fretboard have been a left over Les Paul Artisan fretboard? Also if the the guitar was the 7th one made, before Heritage started officially, would there be any other left over parts that might have been used, e.g. bridge, tailpiece, pickups? The pickups are using single mounting screws, which makes me wonder if they're not Schallers - if they were, why not use double screws? This could be checked at some point in the future, but for the moment @VickyFl, just enjoy a fine instrument!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Lol God, this is so embarrassing."  Nope!  None of this is embarrassing.  Every last one of us stood on the very same spot, at some point.  Tell the potential instructor simply that it's a good Les Paul type electric.  Take it to the lesson...and see what he or she says on seeing it.  That'll be interesting, and a good way to gauge the savvy of a given instructor.  I think I might speak for many here in hoping you'll hang with us on the forum.  There's a lot of solid support here.  Be fun to watch you develop. 

Bobmeyrick - As early as it was made I think anything is possible. I may never know for sure, but some of the possibilities/mystery surrounding this guitar makes it even more special to me. Add to that it's sentimental value because a family member, who passed away many years ago, was the one who did the inlays... It just makes me love this guitar even more. ?

Yoslate - thanks for saying that, because some of my questions have made me feel hella stupid. Lol

I'll definitely be popping in from time to time. It feels good to know I can go somewhere and get solid advice from knowledgeable people! 

2 hours ago, yoslate said:

I think I might speak for many here in hoping you'll hang with us on the forum.  There's a lot of solid support here.  Be fun to watch you develop. 

This is like encouraging someone to do heroin and once hooked telling them that there is a lot of solid support for them to continue their heroin use. This is how I started out here....I bought a used Heritage and had a question. Then they urged me to stick around and now I have ten Heritage guitars. Beware.

? Thanks for the heads up. I was about to ask if you wanted to be my sponsor, you know, to save me.... But then I got to the part about you having 10 guitars. Obviously you're too far gone to save ME! LOL

Also, should I start a new thread when I have questions or just ask here so people know they're dealing with a straight newb? Cuz I already have another question. ? 

I haven't 100% decided whether I want to commit to full on lessons yet, but in the meantime I need an amp to even start tinkering around at least. I'd like one good enough to get the job done, but not so expensive that if I end up not pursuing it I'll be out the money for an amp I'm not going to use. 

Thoughts on the following amp? Fender Frontman 10G 1x6" 10-watt combo amp. Sweetwater has one for $70. 

All I currently have for this guitar is the guitar and a strap. Would I need to get anything else besides the amp to start maybe learning some cords? Do required cables/cords typically come with amp? If not, could you tell me specifically what I need along with the proper size/s, if I need to know that to order. 

For a new topic, a new thread will attract fresh attention (no, not like that...) and likely garner more responses.  As for the amp, you'll get a bunch of good advice here.  I would suggest a used Roland Micro-Cube.  Really small and light (Google it).  You can get some good tones out of it and scarcely annoy the people in the next room.  You can take it anywhere; runs on a wall wart or batteries.  Indestructible.  And not expensive.  You can buy them all day on Reverb.com used for $100 to $150.  Local music store or pawn shop may likely have a used one.

I talked to Marv Lamb and sent him some pictures. He is going to do some research. He thought that is probably a Mahogany top.

He thought Maudie might  have done those.

I little history on Number One. Marv built the prototype of that model at his house and they finished it at their then shop that wasn't 225 Parsons.

Marv's brother in law owns Number One.

When I started playing 'lectric guitar, my parents wished I had a set of headphones.  Instead, they heard my '66 Fender Vibro Champ amp screaming with my wrong notes...over...and over...and over...

Be sure your amp has a headphone jack.  You can use any comfortable headphones that have a matching jack for your amp.

You mentioned Sweetwater.  They assign a dedicated Sales Rep to every customer.  Make them earn their money by asking tons of questions over the phone.  They've got nothing better to do anyway.  And don't let them steer you into more amp than you need.  A good solid state amp with basic effects (reverb, vibrato, overdrive, digital delay, etc.) is all you need.  The better brands are Boss/Roland and Fender.  Their warranty and customer support is great.  Set your budget...and expect to exceed it a bit.  And don't forget strings and picks. 

Finally, Google is your best friend for researching all things guitar or amp.  And YouTube is your best teacher.  There are tons of free guitar lessons and amp info available. 

Good hunting!

Pressure - Ah, ok. You really threw me for a loop when you said her name I have to tell you. Lol

Skydog - Thank you! I can't tell you how excited I am to get any additional information about the history! I was going to try emailing one of the founders to see if they could tell me the very first serial number, and also ask if they could confirm mine was the 7th. Maudie (my sister-in-law) is the one who told me it was the 7th one made (and the 5th custom if my memory on that part is accurate). Her husband AG is the one who told me "they" did the inlay work, but I'm now wondering if in reality it wasn't just Maudie. 

Gitfiddler - I love Sweetwater. It's in my hometown and I've been there many times with a musician friend of mine, even back when they had a tiny (kind of crappy lol) little store. 

Excellent call on the headphones! I never would have thought of that! My hubby called you a genius for that one. Thanks for the other info as well!

With that serial number if my math is correct November 26th which was a Monday and it was the second guitar that day.

Screenshot_20200818-012100_Gallery.jpg

Skydog - I had assumed it was the end of Nov. from trying to research the serial number, but it's very nice to have confirmation. Thank you. It would be interesting to know the date the first one was made. Just because I'm curious if they were several weeks apart, or just a few days. 

Archived