Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
joezeee1

Value of My H-140

I have a 1987 H-140 sunburst.  I want to understand how to establish a value so I can insure it properly.

Go to Reverb.com and eBay to see what they have sold for recently. Base your estimate on that.

Posted (edited)

Usually insurance companies will require a written appraised value from a reputable source before they will insure a guitar.  That can be accomplished on line by sending photos, serial number and description of the guitar to guitar appraisers on line like Norman's Rare Guitars, or use a reputable local guitar store like Chicago Music Exchange. 

Edited by kennyv4
Add information

As stated above, Reverb and Ebay sold histories will give you a good idea of market value.  Since you mentioned insurance, here are a few more thoughts to consider.  (First, I'm not an agent)

Most homeowner/renter/condo insurance policies include coverage for musical instruments as part of your Contents coverage.  (Check your policy for specifics)  If you use your instruments for business however, there may be restrictions or exclusions.  High value items like expensive jewelry or vintage instruments typically need to be on a Floater/Rider endorsement that provides expanded coverage.  That may require getting a written appraisal for certain property prior to them covering same.

You should contact your insurance agent to discuss your specific situation.  Also, if you are interested in musical instrument coverage there are a few companies to consider.

https://www.benzinga.com/money/best-musical-instrument-insurance/

• Upvote 1

The used value is $900 to $1200 I'd estimate.  But replacement value?  Since the 140 is out of production, I'd say you go by cost to replace as new, which closest model is the H150 coming in around $2200.

Just my opinion.  I've purchased 140's for anywhere from $500 to $1000.  

I've got an '87 H140.   If yours gets stolen,  I'll sell you mine for $5000.   I'll even put new strings on it.

Seriously,  you can find H140s in the $1000 to $1500 range regularly.   I don't think that being an '87 really puts a premium on the price. 

40 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

I've got an '87 H140.   If yours gets stolen,  I'll sell you mine for $5000.   I'll even put new strings on it.

Seriously,  you can find H140s in the $1000 to $1500 range regularly.   I don't think that being an '87 really puts a premium on the price. 

I'll offer you $500. Leave the strings off, I will string it. 

1 hour ago, ElNumero said:

So it can sit in your closet with the other 31 poor neglected guitars? 😆

Let me write out the receipt:

Guitar $500

Hand delivery $4500   (I can't let a priceless gem like this get in the hands of those monsters at UPS or Fed Ex!!!!)

Total:    $5000  Cash only!

(for an extra $350  I'll detail it, wax it,  rotate the knobs,  give it a tune up,   polish the chrome, change the lemon oil)

21 hours ago, ElNumero said:

On 6/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, TalismanRich said:

Let me write out the receipt:

Guitar $500

Hand delivery $4500   (I can't let a priceless gem like this get in the hands of those monsters at UPS or Fed Ex!!!!)

Total:    $5000  Cash only!

(for an extra $350  I'll detail it, wax it,  rotate the knobs,  give it a tune up,   polish the chrome, change the lemon oil)

Man you need glasses in your old age. Move that decimal to the left two places for delivery and we are done here. Fuggettabout the wax job, I like my guitars naturally furry.