Heritage Owners Club

New member H158 - pickups? Pickup toggle switch

ColbySoBay

I bought her new in 2007 or early 08. X 34004 serial. Built in 2007. Very diverse tones. She’s at the front of my pecking order now after sitting behind a PRS with P90s for a decade. 
Wonder what pickups they used in 2007 on these?

like em but I’m no pickup expert.

do NOT like the pickup selector location. I’m always leaning forward and smashing it with my leg. Will always have a loose or damaged circuit there. Where do people move this? Probably hard to move it to the upper bout like Les Pauls.

Thoughts?

love it otherwise! 

DE1484CC-1C08-40C8-AC33-2BD00D34D594.jpeg

5CEC643E-7362-4B51-AB75-DF1484AEDE40.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. 

Nice 158. I don't know what kind of pickups yours is, but the single screw tells me that they might be Duncan 59's or Seth Lovers. But it's hard to say without unscrewing them and taking a look at the bottom of them. The 158 I had came with Schallers. I installed a set of Sheptone Tribute IV's in it. I sold that one a while ago. But I have a Millennium SAE which is basically the same as a 158 but with a piezo pickup added. That came stock with Schallers. I replaced them with a set of Mojotone 59 Clones. Great guitar.

Welcome to the HOC.

Have you considered relocating the toggle switch to where one of your Vol/Tone knobs is.  Then have a Volume knob installed where your toggle switch currently is.

That way you don't damage your top and the mod is reversible in the unlikely event you decide to sell the 158.

Thanks Punk Kitty! I saw your 158 on this site. Nice guitar. But the single screw 59’s or Seth’s is a good tip. As you can see, with the screws still lined up at 180 degrees (!) I haven’t messed with the pickups. I fear removing them would possibly change their setup or distance from the strings, which I don’t want to do. But maybe I could... ? 
I’d hate to take them off and not know what to look for on the bottom... are they identified clearly on the bottoms?

thanks for the input!!!

One possibility might be to have an arrangement similar to that on Gretsch guitars. Have a master volume where the switch currently is, put the switch in the neck tone position, keep the separate neck and bridge volumes and have a master tone in the bridge tone position. If you did something like that I would suggest having a new wiring harness made and keeping the original so the guitar couldbe put back to original spec if desired.

I have a few millies, and I have moved the pickup selector on all of them to the upper bout, like a Les Paul -- which, in my opinion, is where God intended it to be :-).  I played a Les Paul most of my life, and my hand automatically goes there, no matter what I am playing.  Plus, I think it's the location that allows for the fastest pickup switching when playing.

There is a caution to be taken, however.  The space below the top on the upper bout is not large, so you need to go with a 90 degree switch instead of the straight one (switchcraft makes them), and have a skilled technician do the work.  In all cases, the repair shop was able to move the switch, but told me that there was barely enough space to do it.  The exact location may make a difference, a fraction of an inch one way or another.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Herington’s 336 is very cool. I kind of like a volume for each pickup, but who knows. I like the goSteelers upper bout fix the best. May be more money and ends the “original” distinction for my 158. But I feel it’s a player’s guitar, not a collector’s piece as much (!) No offense to those collecting them.

The pickup mystery is great. Read about the 59 v Seth Lover debate last night.

if I find out one way, I’ll start to think they’re too bassy! Or the other, my highs are not smooth enough.

if I don’t know I can eq it to taste and be a happy camper!! Hahaha. Maybe not knowing is best for me anyhow at this point in my intermediate player level guitar tone quest.... thanks for the input again...

You can easily check what kind of pickups they are. Loosen all of the strings. Take out the screws holding the pickup rings. Pull out the pickup and look at the bottom. Then just put it all back together. It's not going to change the pickup height. There should be a sticker or some type of marking on the bottom of the pickup. If you have questions, you can post the pictures and them maybe we can help identify them. 

• 2 months later...

I thought my H150 had Seths in it and really liked them. I liked them so much I bought seths for a few other similar guitars.

Then one day I replaced the cracked pickup surrounds and discovered the H150 had SD59's, it explained a lot! I realised why I wasnt as taken by the seths in the other guitars I installed them in but liked the SD59's in the PRS I had at the time.

SD59's seem to work for me in a lot of situations through my amps and the way I set the tone controls. Currently have a set of sd59's in a cheap Ibanez and I seem to be playing that guitar more than any of the others because it sounds good.

Thanks Jeff! Played p90's for awhile. I think the 59's may be more 'raw,' which is probably good for me. A little more like a single coil bite? If I was straight Wes Montgomery and wanted buttery humbucker tone (as Ted Greene described it) the Seth's might be right. Just put down my buddy's 1970 tele to settle on the 158 tonight. :)

Archived