Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBlues

Pedal Board Envy

Josh Scott from JHS pedals did a pedal board interview with Paul Gibert several months ago....

While Paul's board wasn't over the top, it was very well thought out.

The tones he produced using that board was amazing, none of the pedals were overly expensive for mere mortals.  I think the total cost was under $1,000 if I was to recreate it buying as many of these pedals used.

I did some research into the pedals and I can recreate his board but I know I'll never sound as good as him.

Just amazing what he can do.

Here's the pedal layout in order:

• Voodoo Labs Micro-Vibe 
  • MXR Phase 90
  • JHS Bonsai (using the Ibanez Metal Screamer from the 80's)
  • JHS PG-14 
  • Calalainbread Calisto Chorus
  • Supro Analog Delay
  • Catalainbread Topanga Spring Reverb
  • JSH Prestige Boost

ah, thx for the link!

Paul Gilbert is one of the best guitarists I have EVER seen play live. I saw him last year in Toronto

I went in a bit jaded, and not expecting much, assuming it would just be a Racer-X nostalgia driven shred-fest

WRONG

Paul is witty, musical force of nature, with a fantastic sense of humour. and he can shred on slide just as effortlessly as he does  normally!

to top it all off, his live tones were amazing. he had some cool amp amp stuff going on

ps I took a shot of his pedalboard, let me see if I can find it

28 minutes ago, bolero said:

ah, thx for the link!

Paul Gilbert is one of the best guitarists I have EVER seen play live. I saw him last year in Toronto

I went in a bit jaded, and not expecting much, assuming it would just be a Racer-X nostalgia driven shred-fest

WRONG

Paul is witty, musical force of nature, with a fantastic sense of humour. and he can shred on slide just as effortlessly as he does  normally!

to top it all off, his live tones were amazing. he had some cool amp amp stuff going on

ps I took a shot of his pedalboard, let me see if I can find it

Yep he's really good, but starting with the Robin Trower lick was GREAT:)

• Like 1

Thanks for that video.  I've always admired Paul Gilbert's talent as a guitarist, but even more so as a guy who simply does not take himself too seriously. 

That said, I wonder what Paul would say about this guy...

I couldn't afford a pedal board, so I put my pedals on a board.

lGLbyIpl.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yooper said:

I couldn't afford a pedal board, so I put my pedals on a board.

lGLbyIpl.jpg

Clean enough for me Yoop! Hell I could go with just the tuner (Boss are my fav), the Kalamazoo, and the MXR! Have you tried powering the other pedals with just the tuner dc accessory outlet (200ma)?

I do that with my live acoustic guitar gigging board (the tuner is powered by the Grace pre),...

f4pzPoC.jpg?2

These are the current draws for  all of your pedals, so doing this should be well within the your tuner's power outlet capability, but you would need the Roland PCS-20A daisy chain cable (they cost $15 on reverb)

Carbon copy (26ma)

Chorus (9ma)

Kalamazoo (10ma)

Euphoria (8ma)

Auto Wah (15ma)

total 68ma draw

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

(Boss are my fav), the Kalamazoo, and the MXR

Thanks, Dan.

Those are my bare bones grab and go pedals for jams. The Auto Wah is for Grateful Dead tunes featuring Jerry's Mu-Tron. It works on funky jams too.

Intriguing power idea, but I got the tuner used, without the adapter. 

I like the 6 pedal limit on my board. Occasionally I use a crybaby for Jimi/Cream-y stuff. The chorus and delay combine into a new beast, for swirly spacey stuff that provides extra sustain. Those two ODs are more than enough, with their switchable options, but I also have a TS9, Klone, Timmy, and Boss OD 1 and OD 2 Turbo for variety. No more OD gas for me.

Most of my playing during the pandemic has been on my Godin arch-top with a P-90, plugged and unplugged. The Godin Kingpin and H535 with ThroBak ER Customs give some sweet classic and modern jazz tones respectively.

I've been learning more old jazz standards, so the simplicity of guitar, cable and amp is still a great option.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Yooper said:

Thanks, Dan.

Those are my bare bones grab and go pedals for jams. The Auto Wah is for Grateful Dead tunes featuring Jerry's Mu-Tron. It works on funky jams too.

Intriguing power idea, but I got the tuner used, without the adapter. 

I like the 6 pedal limit on my board. Occasionally I use a crybaby for Jimi/Cream-y stuff. The chorus and delay combine into a new beast, for swirly spacey stuff that provides extra sustain. Those two ODs are more than enough, with their switchable options, but I also have a TS9, Klone, Timmy, and Boss OD 1 and OD 2 Turbo for variety. No more OD gas for me.

Most of my playing during the pandemic has been on my Godin arch-top with a P-90, plugged and unplugged. The Godin Kingpin and H535 with ThroBak ER Customs give some sweet classic and modern jazz tones respectively.

I've been learning more old jazz standards, so the simplicity of guitar, cable and amp is still a great option.

Well it looks like it's a great grab and go board!!! The little board of mine is the board that I use for 90% of my gigs and I can't see adding a thing to it.

Speaking of effects, I may slap the guts of a Mythical Overdrive Lil Mo* into one of my Zemaitis guitars, just for fun, to have the ability to slightly bump the knobs while I'm playing electric slide guitar as I hate bending down to tweak pedals in the middle of a song, plus the buffer will help with long cable runs! And I love P90s, and my two P90 guitars get a lot of use, as they have that extra expressive high end that's lost with humbuckers, but lately I've been on a DeArmond Dynasonic kick, you know, you've always got to stir the pot so to say:) 

https://www.rimrockeffects.com/store/p6/Lil_MO_-_All_Versions_.html

BTW the adapter you need was always optional they don't come with new pedals. so if you ever decide to try my idea, this is the absolute best price I've seen on the adapter that you would need for your tuner, and he only has one left...

https://reverb.com/item/34409815-roland-pcs-20a-parallel-dc-cord-daisy-chain-power-cable?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9713068685&merchant_id=117028058&utm_content=915888962102&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7cSxpe_G6gIVAr7ACh1I4AIXEAYYASABEgItpfD_BwE

Edited by rockabilly69

8 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

And I love P90s

4 of my 9 electric guitars have P-90s. LP Special, GT H-150, Tele, and Godin archtop.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, Yooper said:

4 of my 9 electric guitars have P-90s. LP Special, GT H-150, Tele, and Godin archtop.

Looking at my electrics...

• Humbucker 
  • P90
  • Tele Single Coils
  • Stratocaster Single Coils
  • Mini-humbucker 

I think I have my bases covered.  If I can't find the sound I'm looking for, its probably just me.

Going back to my original post....

I have sold several pedals and a guitar, leading me to be able to purchase a few of these pedals.

I found a few of the pedals above on the used market:

JHS PG-14

Voodoo Labs Micro-Vibe

MXR Phase 90.

And instead of a JHS Bonsai, I purchased an Earthquaker Plumes for my "Tube Screamer" types.

I haven't bought a pedal in two years.   I thought about replacing the Soul Food with a Tumnus, but I would like to compare the two since they are of a similar vein.   I've got a couple of pedals I could probably let go,   the B9 organ pedal is "ok" but you have to use a "Keyboard style" of playing to make it sound realistic and I don't seem to be able to make it work.   The Lester K didn't thrill me.   I love a Leslie, but  It was more chorus than doppler rotary sound to me.   I've already got the chorus and vibe pedals.  

There are so many pedals these days that it's impossible to try them all.   Too many versions of the same pedal,  this week's "must have" is next week's "old news".   Every other one has the magic unobtainable component that makes it a cut above all the rest.    Heck, on Sweetwater,  there are 421 Boost/Fuzz/Overdrive pedals alone!  

It makes my head spin!

3 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

there are 421 Boost/Fuzz/Overdrive pedals alone!  

Yes, and they all sound the same.:bom:

16 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I haven't bought a pedal in two years.   I thought about replacing the Soul Food with a Tumnus, but I would like to compare the two since they are of a similar vein.   I've got a couple of pedals I could probably let go,   the B9 organ pedal is "ok" but you have to use a "Keyboard style" of playing to make it sound realistic and I don't seem to be able to make it work.   The Lester K didn't thrill me.   I love a Leslie, but  It was more chorus than doppler rotary sound to me.   I've already got the chorus and vibe pedals.  

There are so many pedals these days that it's impossible to try them all.   Too many versions of the same pedal,  this week's "must have" is next week's "old news".   Every other one has the magic unobtainable component that makes it a cut above all the rest.    Heck, on Sweetwater,  there are 421 Boost/Fuzz/Overdrive pedals alone!  

It makes my head spin!

Ditch the pedals, who needs em! Plug straight in and play the dang thang!

49 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Damn straight. To hell with rock 'n' roll, grow up and play jazz.

Hmm. That's a lot of work.

Where'd I put that pedalboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yooper said:

I've always thought pedals were the cure to my awful playing... Thus my pedal count is always N+1, same math that supports my guitar and amp collection.

I will admit that there is one irreplaceable pedal on my board.... the Turbo Tuner.   Without it,  my guitar sounds like crap.  I remember the days when I had a little pitch pipe in my case.   Before that,  I would use our keyboard player's Vox SuperContinental.    It was a pain. 

30 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Before that,  I would use our keyboard player's Vox SuperContinental.

Back in the day, all we had to tune from was the harmonica player.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Well if that's what you think, pull out one of your guitars and makes us a video of you playing that jazz. And speaking of pedals I've had this one for awhile and without a doubt it's the best pedal I have ever bought. It will turn any amp, and I mean any amp, into a fire breather...

GGqt0Hv.jpg?1

23 hours ago, Yooper said:

I stared at jazz for quite awhile, a long while.

I dont play guitar any more.

Damn you jazz.

:D

• Like 1

Back when I started playing guitar, the only 'pedal' was a Vox Treble Booster or Distortion Booster.  They plugged directly into your amp's Input; then you plugged your guitar cable into the Booster.  We also had to walk 5 miles through three foot snow banks to get to school back then...even though I was raised in L.A. 

30 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Back when I started playing guitar, the only 'pedal' was a Vox Treble Booster or Distortion Booster.  They plugged directly into your amp's Input; then you plugged your guitar cable into the Booster.  We also had to walk 5 miles through three foot snow banks to get to school back then...even though I was raised in L.A. 

back in my day we only had steam powered amplifiers. The only pedals we had were to operate the bellows.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JeffB said:

back in my day we only had steam powered amplifiers. The only pedals we had were to operate the bellows.

:D