Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
hopkinwfg

Heritage H157 charcoal transparent top

Posted (edited)

Dear Heritage guitar players... 

Have recently spoken via email with Mike on a build H157 in charcoal black transparent top... was told Michigan flame maple is more on an affordable side rather than a western maple which brings a couple of hundreds more.... 

Was wondering has anybody own a Heritage with a 4A or 3A grade michigan maple top? I wonder how does it differ from the western maple top in terms of the flame apperance and does it sound different between these two? Or is the price fetched between these two  more about the wood availability and cost of transportation ? 

Was told masterbuilder Pete farmer will be taking all custom orders... does any of the guys here owns any of his masterpieces? 

Edited by hopkinwfg

Posted (edited)

Yahaha !! Yes ! I did send this pic i saw on instagram to Mike... but without the burst...  straight charcoal black if i could get Heritage to do a similar squashed egg kinda quilted top... but Mike advise to go with Michigan Maple.... 

I am thinking of... the H157 with charcoal black top, natural back finish with ebony pickguard, stainless steel jumbo frets (if it will still sound like what a les paul custom should be) , hardwares that will sound best like a les paul custom should be (no idea what should i go with) 

Lastly a covered wolftone marshallhead or BKP stormy monday? 

Edited by hopkinwfg

20 minutes ago, hopkinwfg said:

Yahaha !! Yes ! I did send this pic i saw on instagram to Mike... but without the burst...  straight charcoal black if i could get Heritage to do a similar squashed egg kinda quilted top... but Mike advise to go with Michigan Maple.... 

I am thinking of... the H157 with charcoal black top, natural back finish with ebony pickguard, stainless steel jumbo frets (if it will still sound like what a les paul custom should be) , hardwares that will sound best like a les paul custom should be (no idea what should i go with) 

Lastly a covered wolftone marshallhead or BKP stormy monday? 

Never heard of stainless steel jumbo frets as a Lester Custom standard feature.  Usually I've only seen that on boutique builders and options for after market replacement necks.

12 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

... was told Michigan flame maple is more on an affordable side rather than a western maple which brings a couple of hundreds more.... 

Was wondering has anybody own a Heritage with a 4A or 3A grade michigan maple top? I wonder how does it differ from the western maple top in terms of the flame apperance and does it sound different between these two? Or is the price fetched between these two  more about the wood availability and cost of transportation ? 

Was told masterbuilder Pete farmer will be taking all custom orders... does any of the guys here owns any of his masterpieces? 

Heritage has used 3 classifications for their woods,  standard, premium and Ultra tops... Never really by 3A, 5A etc.

Pete is a great guy, if you do a custom order he will hand select the woods... They will be nice.   Send him a picture on what you like visually. Wood is wood, each piece will have its own characteristics regardless...  
By the way, Many of us here have unique, custom orders!

• Like 1

Cool.... yeah i do agree... i remember i did order a guitar and was pretty much standard classic wood package honduras mahogany neck and  body with a 1/4 nice flame maple top, looks good !! But it plays clear... so clear that it lacks of depth and the essences of tone... i quickly dismiss it due to the pups it had... changed to a 90s duncan JB it helped abit but it still sound very dead and dull.... till now i have  no idea whats wrong with the build and wood package... i sold it eventually.... my stamdard usa made jackson soloist sound way better....

Just a small talk on my experience on a guitar build i had.... till now i wonder could it have been the hardwares like bridge and frets thats giving off such a tone.... else it plays great and is an awesome playing guitar.... 

With that i also need to confess that i actually try out a H150 lately at my local stores one played abit like what i experienced off on the custom i did... but the other H150 just sound better and has more mojo to it.... i do hope that could just be a one off that Heritage production did (hope i dont sound like am slamming at Heritage here ) ..... 

Just think custom shop where the guys who select the wood will tap and hear how the instrument will be like be way more consistent on the LP tone.... 

5 minutes ago, hopkinwfg said:

Cool.... yeah i do agree... i remember i did order a guitar and was pretty much standard classic wood package honduras mahogany neck and  body with a 1/4 nice flame maple top, looks good !! But it plays clear... so clear that it lacks of depth and the essences of tone... i quickly dismiss it due to the pups it had... changed to a 90s duncan JB it helped abit but it still sound very dead and dull.... till now i have  no idea whats wrong with the build and wood package... i sold it eventually.... my stamdard usa made jackson soloist sound way better....

Just a small talk on my experience on a guitar build i had.... till now i wonder could it have been the hardwares like bridge and frets thats giving off such a tone.... else it plays great and is an awesome playing guitar.... 

With that i also need to confess that i actually try out a H150 lately at my local stores one played abit like what i experienced off on the custom i did... but the other H150 just sound better and has more mojo to it.... i do hope that could just be a one off that Heritage production did (hope i dont sound like am slamming at Heritage here ) ..... 

Just think custom shop where the guys who select the wood will tap and hear how the instrument will be like be way more consistent on the LP tone.... 

You should talk to Millennium Maestro about some of his NOS Heritage Custom Shop guitars he has...

1 minute ago, hopkinwfg said:

Cool.... yeah i do agree... i with a 1/4 nice flame maple top, looks good !! till now i wonder could it have been the hardwares like bridge and frets thats giving off such a tone.... else it plays great and is an awesome playing guitar.... 

They carve a 3/4 top,  setup makes a big difference. There are a lot of things to bring out the best a guitar has to offer.  I regularly change tailpiece inserts, caps, pots, toggles. (There were always better options post factory) 

Here is one of their latest beauties.

Heritage custom.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

You should talk to Millennium Maestro about some of his NOS Heritage Custom Shop guitars he has...

Will @Millennium Maestro care to show us ? Hehe... 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Here is one of their latest beauties.

Heritage custom.jpg

Tasty piece Skydog52!  Looks like koa.  Yours?

Edited by Steiner

59 minutes ago, Steiner said:

No not mine, Custom Shop creation for some Lucky Customer!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

No not mine, Custom Shop creation for some Lucky Customer!

You created some fine customs; it's only logical to ask.

• Like 1

Skydog. That is yummie. Hog agree you should talk with MM he has some nice guitars for sale. You should also look at Throbak PUP's.

Pete is great to work with and has decades of experience.

• Like 1

A small sample before I got carried away with the heavy customization! (And Plaza Told me top stop!  LOL)
id29oxi.jpg

3 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

Will @Millennium Maestro  care to show us ? Hehe... 

• Like 2

Pete Farmer is THE MAN

you will not be disappointed

one of these days, if I can scrounge up some $$ I also have a special project I want him to build

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steiner said:

It’s a type of Walnut.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

It’s a type of Walnut.

Figured Claro Walnut?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Figured Claro Walnut?

That's my guess. Good Eye!

• Like 1

how does one get to see the second half?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

you should see the second half of my inventory...

I remember u own a guitar shop dont ya? Are those ya personal collection? Thats way crazy!! Bring on ya second half plz ....