Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
FredZepp

2015 the Heritage continues article GREAT PICS

Stumbled on this article.. it's got a great variety of photos. Some people that folks here will recognize.  We've probably seen this before, but it's been a while.....  Pics of Aaron Cowles,  Pete Moreno, Ted McCarty, Maudie Moore...etc

"Eventually it got to the point where we made the first batch of something and then they started producing it," said Marv Lamb, a Heritage Guitar Co. co-owner who worked as superintendent at the Kalamazoo plant during those final years. "We'd get prototypes set up and streamlined for them and then they'd take them down there (Nashville) and start making them."

Later that month, former Gibbons plant manager Jim Deurloo reached an agreement that the company would continue to keep making and repairing guitars, banjos and mandolins in Kalamazoo "as long as it was profitable." But that final concession wouldn't be enough to stop the factory from shuttering its doors officially on June 29, 1984 .

Jack French, a repairman who began working for Gibbons in 1961, said he and fellow repairman Pete Moreno were paid to travel to Nashville twice a month to assist with repairs.

Gibbons Guitar gone, but the Heritage continues.... 

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2015/03/when_the_Gibbons_guitar_co_left.html

-373156f5b4dbb75a.JPG-76faa69549132098.JPG-d4942201ba932006.JPG-f3abc92fadbfdf35.JPG-2c7e36ba3a63e7e9.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Fred. Great stuff.

Here is a little video on J.P. Moats.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FredZepp said:

-373156f5b4dbb75a.JPG

This is Tom Bradfield, I believe. He worked in the Gibbons prototype shop and built that guitar for Billy Gibbons I think... a true GIBBONS! 

Tom used to have a guitar shop at his house in Portage and was a great guy.

edit- duh, it says it is him in the photo captions.

Edited by Doug
stupidity
  • Upvote 1

great pics 🙂

10 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Thanks Fred. Great stuff.

Here is a little video on J.P. Moats.

Weren't the first 1,000 Golden Eagles inlaid with a number on the back of the headstock? 

Has anybody an H-147?  I don't think I've seen one.

Cool article and video gents!

Good stuff!  Thanks for posting.

-24b33cc7c4d5f364.JPG

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Good stuff!  Thanks for posting.

-24b33cc7c4d5f364.JPG

Yeah... I wonder where that plaque is now...? 

A dedication event was held in front of former Gibbons factory at 225 Parsons Street in 1994 to recognize the landmark as being placed on the National Register of Historic Place, although the nomination was never finalized.

15 hours ago, Steiner said:

Weren't the first 1,000 Golden Eagles inlaid with a number on the back of the headstock? 

Yes according to Ren the first 1000 were.

Here are a few sold on Reverb. It would be a nice purchase if you could find one.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=heritage H-147 guitar&show_only_sold=true

• Upvote 1

+1

Thanks skydog52.

17 hours ago, Steiner said:

I believe Spectrum13 has an amazing H-147 Custom.  Maybe he'll jump in with a photo.

19 hours ago, Steiner said:

ACtC-3eGP9QMVZFQx_-Lr7Btl5jSRgIN0IIYA4T4

3 minutes ago, FredZepp said:

ACtC-3eGP9QMVZFQx_-Lr7Btl5jSRgIN0IIYA4T4

JP Moats had good taste WRT bling!

Yours FZ?

1 minute ago, Steiner said:

JP Moats had good taste WRT bling!

Yours FZ?

No , not mine.. I forget whose.   Love it though. 

When I think of JP... this one with JP designed bling comes to mind.  (  the video of Jim giving some history of JP was really nice ) 

ACtC-3cdAHDULIjTDVO-juC2WmkuJiWTDCVuuQY7ACtC-3cH06-nUHmIknYJni_bpyxaruGKvmF6jUil

I remember checking out the American Eagle at last years PSP. Is it Bolero's? 

An absolute drop-dead gorgeous guitar! JP went all out on that one.

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7715.JPG

• Like 2

I'm amazed that they made 1000 Golden Eagles, numbered or not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone looking at those photos above, you'll take notice of how the shop used to look like before it was moved further back into a newer section.   It really looked like an old barn on the inside from an episode of American Pickers.

While I miss the smell of wood and the layers of years of building guitars underneath the saw dust, it was not a good environment for quality consistency.  I appreciate the quality controls and safety measures of the newer, cleaner, climate controlled space....

Edited by DetroitBlues

On 7/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Steiner said:

Mine is atypical, but marked 147 CM  ACB      Someone's custom order, no doubt.  It has the bound headstock and headstock inlay from the stock 147, but traps in an ebony board, nickel hardware, and one-ply body binding on the top.  It looks more like an upgraded "standard" than a thin "custom."  (Sort of funny --when it came up on ebay, Slider and I were the bidders, we later found out.) 

I get up most mornings at 5am to get in an hour's practice before my wife gets up.  I play the 147 through a headphone amp (even a thin hollowbody makes enough noise to wake up the house that early) ... so, it's in my hands most days --a very fine and beautiful guitar.  People who dis on ACB guitars are the (fashion) clowns.  

IMG_0052.JPG

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, 111518 said:

IMG_0052.JPG

Interesting.   It seems to be a 2nd generation 147 , without the sharp horn and appears to be a Gibby cut.   What year is this one?   '88? 89?

Edited by FredZepp

24 minutes ago, 111518 said:

Mine is atypical, but marked 147 CM  ACB      Someone's custom order, no doubt.  It has the bound headstock and headstock inlay from the stock 147, but traps in an ebony board, nickel hardware, and one-ply body binding on the top.  It looks more like an upgraded "standard" than a thin "custom."  (Sort of funny --when it came up on ebay, Slider and I were the bidders, we later found out.) 

I get up most mornings at 5am to get in an hour's practice before my wife gets up.  I play the 147 through a headphone amp (even a thin hollowbody makes enough noise to wake up the house that early) ... so, it's in my hands most days --a very fine and beautiful guitar.  People who dis on ACB guitars are the (fashion) clowns.  

I changed this precursor of a 147 from ACB to just Amber...  

This was a 1985 H-140.  While there is very little history of this guitar, my assumption was Heritage used this for a NAMM type show.

Bound Neck, Mini-Blocks in an Ebony board, inlaid headstock.   Also has a belly carve.

H140 Before.JPG

H140 After.JPG

1 hour ago, 111518 said:

IMG_0052.JPG

Good looking burst.  I too play (at night) through headphones.  I do enjoy those days when I get to take the beasts outdoors and make noise.  Inside I try to be considerate to Mrs. Steiner

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

I changed this precursor of a 147 from ACB to just Amber...  

This was a 1985 H-140.  While there is very little history of this guitar, my assumption was Heritage used this for a NAMM type show.

Bound Neck, Mini-Blocks in an Ebony board, inlaid headstock.   Also has a belly carve.

H140 Before.JPG

H140 After.JPG

Dibbs!  Let me know when you want to sell it...  :)

19 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Good looking burst.  I too play (at night) through headphones.  I do enjoy those days when I get to take the beasts outdoors and make noise.  Inside I try to be considerate to Mrs. Steiner

Dibbs!  Let me know when you want to sell it...  :)

That ship has sailed... some dude out west keeps it at a thunderous ranch of sonic bliss for all those within 20 mile radius can feel its tone!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FredZepp said:

Interesting.   It seems to be a 2nd generation 147 , without the sharp horn and appears to be a Gibby cut.   What year is this one?   '88? 89?

The serial number seems to start with "N", which would make it later --'97?   (The "N" isn't very clear --could maybe be an "H", but, I think "N").

Sorry if this was a thread hi-jack.  I've just sort of rediscovered this guitar in the last year, and I've really been enjoying it, so it came to mind when I read Steiner's post asking about 147's.  Once I started playing it more, I finally got around to replacing the jack which has needed replacing since I got it, so, I took the back plate off and saw that it was labeled a 147.  I think before I saw the label I always just considered it a custom-order 140. 

I guess it fits the thread in the sense of the "good ole days" when so many Heritage guitars were one offs of one sort or another.  Almost all of mine seem to have been custom builds or prototypes  --at least a little, and sometimes a lot, out of the general-run specs. 

Edited by 111518
clarification

Of all the 147’s I’ve seen, none have been a black beauty.  

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Of all the 147’s I’ve seen, none have been a black beauty.  

Mine is but it's a 2013 with P90 and staple with stoptail. More like an original 54

• Like 1