Heritage Owners Club

Advice?

DetroitChris

Looking at acquiring a 535 at a local music store.  The guitar is being sold as new, but it's a 2018 model.  Headstock has some checking on it, price is around $2K.  Questions for the experts:

1.  Is checking within a new instrument common with Heritage?  I've never seen this on the new Gibbonss and Fenders (custom shops) I've purchased?  I don't necessarily mind it, but it's objectively a cosmetic issue (i.e.., this is not a relic guitar)

2.  Has anyone had these issues on 535's from this year?  I've heard some rumblings on Heritage quality, but all of them have a few issues every now and then.

Love the sound of this thing, and really don't want to spend big $$$ on another custom shop.  Any advice/opinions. appreciated!

Hi there. I have my doubts about that instrument being new. I own a couple of Heritage guitars and the craftsmanship are top notch. It could also be that the guitar was damage at the store. Either way if you do not mind that detail, just make sure it plays good and that there are no problem with frets, volume pots, and pickups.

Enjoy!

Peter

Finish checking happens on a small percentage of all newish 100% lacquer finished guitars. Over the years that can continue and if you ride them hard in changing climate conditions they can really check up yet other guitars might never check at all. This should be a consideration in your purchase if you're keen on cosmetics, it's not a controlled variable with a pure lacquer finish even with recent formulas. 

For me, a new guitar checking shows the finish will never have a tacky feel to it, as in it's hardened appropriately. LOTS of lacquer guitars (like from the big G) can be sticky as hell. My 90's LP Studio bought when new is still sticky. 

As Djaabs noted above, lacquer checking can occur on any guitar.  However, I've never seen checking on a NEW Heritage.  So maybe the shop will discount the H535 you are interested in, or you can simply pass on it until the right one becomes available or at other dealers.  You can even order a new one direct from Heritage if you so choose.

Price seems OK compared to new ($2200).  Really like how it plays and sounds.  I'm a bit concerned, too, that it's not new (doing some digging, but dealer appears reputable).  Thanks all for the feedback!!!

P.S.  I've been blessed with flawless quality on the Custom Shop Gibbons's and Fenders I've purchased (as it should be) so stepping into another (reputable) brand is a leap for me.

If the guitar is new and has checking like that, it should be sent back to Heritage. 

My 535 is over four years old now and does not have any checking.  (Does have buckle worming and minor scratches on the top).

Do you have any photos of the checking or for the guitar itself?

Discount should have it less than $2000.

Even if the guitar is technical new, its 9 years old and has lots of shop wear.

Here's the latest data from Reverb which I found to be a good guide for used gear pricing:

Date               Condition          Sold Price
9/1/2020       Excellent          $1,800
8/12/2020     Excellent          $2,200
7/25/2020    Very Good         $1,899
7/15/2020    Very Good         $1,800
7/5/2020       Very Good        $1,995
7/4/2020        Mint                  $1,991.79
6/24/2020    Good                  $1,800
6/16/2020    Excellent            $2,037.42
6/1/2020       Excellent            $1,950
5/3/2020       Very Good        $1,600

All the (good) counsel above notwithstanding, do you want to look at it or play it?  Normal finish checking is hardly unusual.  If you owned a really good instrument for nine years and it began to check, would you get rid of it?

Obviously for playing, which I have with this one.  The sound is great, but a defect is a defect on a NEW instrument.  I've spoken to Heritage and their guidance was that it was probably exposed to the temperature fluctuations we get here in Michigan.  The irony:  people are paying more money for the "relic'ed" instruments these days...

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't get rid of it.  BUT, I do everything possible to not allow my instruments to be subjected to these types of conditions (e.g., they stay in their cases, in a properly humidified/temperature controlled area, unless I'm playing them).  

2 hours ago, DetroitChris said:

Obviously for playing, which I have with this one.  The sound is great, but a defect is a defect on a NEW instrument.  I've spoken to Heritage and their guidance was that it was probably exposed to the temperature fluctuations we get here in Michigan.  The irony:  people are paying more money for the "relic'ed" instruments these days...

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't get rid of it.  BUT, I do everything possible to not allow my instruments to be subjected to these types of conditions (e.g., they stay in their cases, in a properly humidified/temperature controlled area, unless I'm playing them).  

By the tone of your replies, it sounds as if you wouldn't be happy with the checking, especially at such a small discount. There's nothing wrong with wanting a minty guitar, and everyone has different feelings about that. Because I play so much almost, I'm guaranteed a few checks on my instruments in short time, so they don't bother me as much. If I was just a home player, I would have different feelings about that. But to the point, If you want to stay around the price offered, watch Reverb or any of your favorite guitar forums, for a better deal on a guitar free from checking, or buck up a few more dollars for a new one that the dealer will discount a bit. The H535 is probably the most consistently made guitar and is held in high regard by many.

Archived