Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
kayaman

H-357

Posted (edited)

I covet an original run 357 model routed for mini's at a decent weight, talk about a needle in a haystack. 

It's cool the rep the marvbirds have gotten given that the design itself is kind of massively under-appreciated in general. I've seen the prices on vintage reverse FB's from the 60's go down a good bit too as of late. Pretty soon marvbirds will be the same price the trend continues! Both of which passing through similar hands at that. Jim mentioned being part of the FB design in a book on gribson "golden years." 

Edited by deytookerjaabs

Before Marv moved to K-Zoo he grew up across the road from this rail road depot at Chase, AL.  I took this photo of myself at the depot with the custom 357 he made for me.  It was so beautiful that I was afraid to play it and it hurt to let other people play it.  I wasn't worthy of that guitar.  I hope a better man than I plays it today.  That is a Marv Bird. 

chase.jpg

img_2896_std.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I know a guy who has one of the first two Marv bird’s made. Like the sith they were always made in pairs. 

6 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

were any of these made with real firebird pickups?

Only if someone asked for them.  Seldom do.

ElJay's 357 had Firebird pups in it. 

img_4959_std.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Only if someone asked for them.  Seldom do.

In the last few years some people have been making some great vintage sounding Firebird pickups, with the right coil orientation and reflector plate, which to me, are the only things that should reside in a Firebird other than maybe a vintage P90...

http://onamacwindery.com/products/minihumbucker/firebirdvintage.html

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/HumbuckerPickups_x/Mojotone-Johnny-Winter-Firebird-Pickup

https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-226-firebird-pickup.aspx

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/firebird/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, High Flying Bird said:

ElJay's 357 had Firebird pups in it. 

img_4959_std.jpg

Fantastic. Beautiful wood on the one. The thing I like about the Marv-birds are the Grover tuners. The Gibbons banjo tuners on the originals are just a pain in the a*s. They're heavy, and are questionable at best in their tuning stability. I could do without the Nashville bridge, but that's easy enough to change out. Who knows maybe Heritage will start building 357s again.

Edited by rockabilly69

16 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Who knows maybe Heritage will start building 357s again.

That will never happen.  Since Marv was part of the original design and making of the Firebird, he is the only one allowed to make the 357 per a legal agreement with Gibbons.   Once he stopped making them, that was the end of the 357 production.  Same odd reason why I cannot get a pickguard on a 137 installed by the factory.

5 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

That will never happen.  Since Marv was part of the original design and making of the Firebird, he is the only one allowed to make the 357 per a legal agreement with Gibbons.   Once he stopped making them, that was the end of the 357 production.  Same odd reason why I cannot get a pickguard on a 137 installed by the factory.

The big G under KKR clearly dgaf about abiding by those agreements in good faith any more. 

I say build!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Pardon my slight thread hijack...

Heritage should contract the HOC's own Cryoman to provide his beautifully designed H-137 pickguards.  Any customer wishing a pickguard on their H-137 should have them as an option. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Pardon my slight thread hijack...

Heritage should contract the HOC's own Cryoman to provide his beautifully designed H-137 pickguards.  Any customer wishing a pickguard on their H-137 should have them as an option. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

There you go.  Hurrumph!

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:43 AM, rockabilly69 said:

were any of these made with real firebird pickups?

Yes!

663987512_gallery_8269_415_3053491.thumb.jpg.e01c9ab092a2ed512214bff61f7681c3.jpg2088367219_gallery_8269_415_14281941.thumb.jpg.76777924aaffb0e097b3e0df2f22ddb5.jpg1455727829_gallery_8269_415_23450551.thumb.jpg.53efe58a482e2fa0e0d490ede9902f17.jpg

Edited by notbillgelder
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:01 PM, DetroitBlues said:

where did you hear this?

and if that is the case, why would Pete even contemplate making an H357, as you mentioned in your H137 thread?