Heritage Owners Club

Incoming: Heritage Super Kenny Burrell

tsp17

I'm a little in shock that it is on its way here.    ASB with HRWs.   60th birthday gift.  I never thought I would own one, or really even get to play one unless I got lucky.  An odd set of circumstances, a UPS mishap with a Heritage Super Eagle, my wife's tolerance, and and a friend's good will came together and made it happen.

Those of you that know me know that Kenny is my guitar super-hero and that I once took a year long class from him at UCLA on the music of Duke Ellington, and spent a lot of time with him in his office just talking music, jazz history, etc.  He is a wonderful guy.  His health is not so great these days.  I am honored to have a piece of his legacy on the way.  His tone, phrasing, comping and soulfulness are the north-star for me as an amateur jazz player.

Here's a video of Jay Wolfe talking about how this model came to be (many of you have already seen this I am sure)...discussion of the SKB starts at about 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD94Bz0awc4

Wow.

3 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Congratulations.  Jay has done a lot to keep Heritage alive years ago.  

Getting a dream guitar is always so thrilling.

yep- this one was on the bucket list, but on the "I doubt it will ever happen, but a guy can dream..."  part of the list.

Just now, tsp17 said:

yep- this one was on the bucket list, but on the "I doubt it will ever happen, but a guy can dream..."  part of the list.

At this point, I have 2 custom Heritages.  I really cannot think of another Heritage model or another manufacture that is a bucket list for me. 

Maybe a vintage guitar, but for new instruments, I think I'm living the dream. 

Just hope it doesn't end.

Looking at these pictures....I felt movement down there....

That is one gorgeous guitar!

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Looks like it has HRW's.  Mr. Burrell digs em'

yep.  they are usually a little bright for my taste, but since that's how this SKB was spec'd, I suspect they sound great.  

that is outstanding!

saw a brand new Kenny Burrell LP in the local record store today, almost grabbed it. really good pressing too, from Analogue Productions. expensive but probably the best quality vinyl you can get. I may go back next week & buy it

I have his "midnight blue" LP it's great

anyway, good luck with the gtr! and congratulations

14 hours ago, bolero said:

that is outstanding!

saw a brand new Kenny Burrell LP in the local record store today, almost grabbed it. really good pressing too, from Analogue Productions. expensive but probably the best quality vinyl you can get. I may go back next week & buy it

I have his "midnight blue" LP it's great

anyway, good luck with the gtr! and congratulations

Midnight Blue is a great example of Kenny's vibe. Love it- it gets a lot of play at my house.    Right now I'm listening to his Ellington is Forever V.1 and V.2.  Amazing band, amazing arrangements played with a lot of love and reverence for Duke and his music.  Kenny's playing is a masterclass in comping and soulful sophisticated jazz soloing.  Just a joy.  And that tone....There are also a handful of solo guitar pieces on these two albums that are really wonderful as well. 

Archived