Heritage Owners Club
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBlues

PSA: H-137 is now a Custom Shop Only Guitar

Posted (edited)

For those who ordered the HOC Exclusive 137, count yourselves lucky!

Jay Wolfe posted the 137 is no longer a production model.  

I confirmed this myself.

So if you want a deal on a new 137, order one by tomorrow else request a Custom Shop in the future.

Edited by DetroitBlues

Wow. I wonder if that was due to sales volume or part of some sort of settlement?

The easiest guitar for Heritage (not Harmony) to produce and they discontinue it from their core line to Custom Shop only??!!!  It's a slab body guitar?  They are easy and fast to make.  Excuse me, IMHO this is STUPID decision.    What is Heritage's business plan for their core line?  Seem's like their plan is to force people to shop for different brands.

For that kind of Heritage CS money I would be buying a Collings 290.

Posted (edited)

I don't know the answer of why they did this. Pure speculation, but hard to compete when Gibbons is selling the PSP spec'd type guitar for $1599 retail price.

Edited by skydog52

Well maybe they will bring back the ....... No they won't do that.

I have put a lot of thought into this topic.

y2kc

Maybe they want to encourage more custom features on this model , as it's easy to change finish etc. 

The question is what is the cost for the basic starter model. .. ? 

Maybe Heritage is simply 'trimming the fat' in its manufacturing operation, focusing on the most profitable products.

Their custom shop can continue to provide an additional revenue stream, providing one-off, or customized instruments.  Both scenarios make good business sense to me.

The problem for them is the competition.  They have to know that Collings, PRS, Gib-son and even Eastman can out produce Heritage. 

Whatever is going on at Heritage that caused the elimination of the H-137, I wish them success.

Its a bit of a shame, but it really wasn't an "entry level" guitar at $1900.   It might be too close to the Harmony line, being a slab body and all,but it was still a premium price.   Keep the Heritage for the higher end guitars.

And next on the agenda... Bring Back The Mille!!!   Its a truly great, unique, premium guitar!

One comment I heard Pete say yesterday was he’d love to make the H-357, but he couldn’t make it to match the price point of the G brand.  My thought is the same as 137 to the LP Special.

Go over to Reverb, there’s a boatload of them available.

13 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

One comment I heard Pete say yesterday was he’d love to make the H-357, but he couldn’t make it to match the price point of the G brand.  My thought is the same as 137 to the LP Special.

Maybe you could talk him into making a batch of those Josh.  I would certainly be in on one!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

This all speculation as to why.   But again here are my final thoughts. 

-This is a mahogany slab guitar, Heritage doesn’t have an easier guitar to make.  Get a hunk of mahogany, cut the body shape, fill the grain (like they do on all of their mahogany guitars), put on a neck, paint it, add hardware and done.

-Why remove it from the core line at all?  It has to be one of their best profit margin guitars based on less resources needed to build and less labor.

-Why not just wait for an order from a dealer and then make the 137?  That’s what they did for years before.  Wait for an order and make the guitar.   I realize they would like to produce a “run”’ of them vs one at a time,  but considering profit margin, ease of build, quicker turnaround.... it’s not like I am saying build Heritage Eagles or Super Eagles Archtops as one offs.  That would take forever.

Bottom line, I still don’t get it unless they are trying to force the buyers’ hands to custom priced guitars with a model that is the easiest to produce.  Sounds like an assembly line Business model of only producing a few core guitar models.

What are Heritage production guitar models now?  150, 535, and the Eagle Classic..... is that it?

13 minutes ago, Kuz said:

This all speculation as to why.   But again here are my final thoughts. 

-This is a mahogany slab guitar, Heritage doesn’t have an easier guitar to make.  Get a hunk of mahogany, cut the body shape, fill the grain (like they do on all of their mahogany guitars), put on a neck, paint it, add hardware and done.

-Why remove it from the core line at all?  It has to be one of their best profit margin guitars based on less resources needed to build and less labor.

What are Heritage production guitar models now?  150, 535, and the Eagle Classic..... is that it?

I agree with you John.  The 575 is a huge model.  I know that for the first time under new ownership, they have a huge back order now.  It may be related to what is being ordered.

Pete did say how my 137 is designed is how the 137 should have been done.  They may bring it back, perhaps in 2 versions to reflect the difference of a single pickup and double pickup.

I also wonder why they just don’t make the Harmony line say Harmony by Heritage.  It would seem to make sense.

OK, so I did forget about the 575.

So the only Heritage production models are; 150, 535, 575, and the Eagle Classic?

Not sure if the Heritage Guitars website is up to date, but in their top tier (i.e. super expensive) "Custom Shop Collection" section they include the following NAMM guitars:

H-550;  Golden Eagle; plus a few custom H-155M's, H-535's and H-137's.   

https://heritageguitars.com/collections/custom-shop-collection

So I guess they'll build custom versions of our long time favorite models, but at nose-bleed prices.

They also have the H530 in the core collection.  

On 8/2/2020 at 5:38 AM, davesultra said:

Go over to Reverb, there’s a boatload of them available.

As soon as the word gets out, used 137s on reverb will jump to $1899+

They won’t sell, but....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, brentrocks said:

As soon as the word gets out, used 137s on reverb will jump to $1899+

They won’t sell, but....

The asking price for Heritages are all way too high on Reverb.  When buying anything on Reverb, I look up the sold prices then make an offer based upon that.  

Ranges right now are $1250 all the way up to $2750 (not sure what that guy is thinking).  Most are around the $1500 mark.

I do the same thing when selling.  When I sold my Boss BF-3 Flanger, it looked like it was dragged down a gravel road.  I priced it at the bottom of the sold price.  While I had a bunch of low-ballers prompting me to remove the offers, it sold in a couple of days.

Edited by DetroitBlues

On 8/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, JRL said:

Maybe you could talk him into making a batch of those Josh.  I would certainly be in on one!

Me too!!

1 hour ago, Jaguarguy said:

Me too!!

Send them an email and see what happens.  If a custom order is to take place, you only have to ask to know the possibilities.

It probably was not a big seller, so who cares if it was Heritage's easiest guitar to make (as one person on here has repeatedly said...). If there are no sales, the company logically will discontinue a model. When Gibbons discontinued the Les Paul in 1960- it wasn't because of any other reason than the sales were continuously dropping year after year. And Gibbons version of their LP Special does not have the quality that our HOC custom shop 137's have. I'm happy to have my 2005 H-137 in my stable, its a keeper. 

Edited by ElNumero

23 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Send them an email and see what happens.  If a custom order is to take place, you only have to ask to know the possibilities.

...Mike, are you going to E-mail them or shall I do so???

12 minutes ago, JRL said:

...Mike, are you going to E-mail them or shall I do so???

Send an email to  support@heritageguitars.com

I'm not Mike.  Mike is the Customer Relations Manager at Heritage.  He should be able to help.

thanks Josh!  I was directing that to jaguarguy Mike, as he is interested also.  I'll relay my findings in case others may be interested as well.  Thanks again Josh

Josh