Heritage Owners Club

NGD: Heritage Super Kenny Burrell

tsp17

The story on this SKB is that RhoadsScholar, who lived in the Detroit area, called me to say that there is this fabulous like new SKB at the local Guitar Center.  He played it and thoroughly checked it out.  Rhoads called me after he left the store and told me this is one I can't miss.

I contacted the manager immediately and put money down to hold it.  The next day I drove two hours each way to check it out.  There were no disappointments.

The guitar had been purchased long ago but was stored as a collectible.

I used my superior negotiation skills that led to me paying full price but getting a free pack of D'Addario Chromes.

My problem with having this guitar is that I was too scared I might scratch or ding it, so I put well less than an hour on it.

I recently sold TSP17 a Super Eagle that UPS did some damage on.  So I sold him the SKB in lieu of the SE.

The repair of the SE was not difficult.  The UPS reimbursement saga is complicated and drawn out.  I expect the check from them in about a week.

TSP17 is a great guy.  We've done some transactions over the years and it's always been a pleasure.

Back to the SKB.  Not everyone is a fan of the HRW.  I really like them.  This particular guitar is an early build.  Like the American Eagles and the early Johnny Smiths, I'm sure it got special attention from Jim and Marv.

I REALLY like my HRW in my Golden Eagle, but don't like them in Semis or Solid-bodies.  

But in Hollow-bodies there is some real magic!

37 minutes ago, golferwave said:

Hooray!!  A big thank you to our wise administrator who resides not behind a curtain, but near a large body of water in the great North. Long live Forgiveness Day!!

Indeed. And welcome back MartyGrass.  

13 minutes ago, Kuz said:

I REALLY like my HRW in my Golden Eagle, but don't like them in Semis or Solid-bodies.  

But in Hollow-bodies there is some real magic!

I strongly agree about hollowbodies.  I tried several times in solid bodies and couldn't get the sounds I wanted.  For years I struggled with semis.  Finally the HRWs seemed to click for me.  Go figure.

19 minutes ago, MartyGrass said:

I strongly agree about hollowbodies.  I tried several times in solid bodies and couldn't get the sounds I wanted.  For years I struggled with semis.  Finally the HRWs seemed to click for me.  Go figure.

Likewise, but:

Still working with it to see if I want to stick with the HRW.  Trying to dial in the sound I want from this wonderful guitar.  They HRWs sound excellent, clear, articulate, clean tone.  Been getting close to what I want via tone and volume controls on amp and the SKB.  I might try some Lollar Imperial Low Wind to get a little darker/warmer though.  They sound great in my 550. 

@MartyGrassis right, this guitar, while 17 years old, has not gotten a lot of play time.   Will be interesting to see if it opens up further with some more play.  Loving it.  

On 10/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, MartyGrass said:

The story on this SKB is that RhoadsScholar, who lived in the Detroit area, called me to say that there is this fabulous like new SKB at the local Guitar Center.  He played it and thoroughly checked it out.  Rhoads called me after he left the store and told me this is one I can't miss.

I contacted the manager immediately and put money down to hold it.  The next day I drove two hours each way to check it out.  There were no disappointments.

The guitar had been purchased long ago but was stored as a collectible.

I used my superior negotiation skills that led to me paying full price but getting a free pack of D'Addario Chromes.

My problem with having this guitar is that I was too scared I might scratch or ding it, so I put well less than an hour on it.

I recently sold TSP17 a Super Eagle that UPS did some damage on.  So I sold him the SKB in lieu of the SE.

The repair of the SE was not difficult.  The UPS reimbursement saga is complicated and drawn out.  I expect the check from them in about a week.

TSP17 is a great guy.  We've done some transactions over the years and it's always been a pleasure.

Back to the SKB.  Not everyone is a fan of the HRW.  I really like them.  This particular guitar is an early build.  Like the American Eagles and the early Johnny Smiths, I'm sure it got special attention from Jim and Marv.

nice!!

and RIP to RhoadsScholar

speaking of Kenny Burrell, today I found a sealed copy of Kenny Burrell with John Coltrane, I bought and forgot about. circa 1958. playing it now....

well, the RECORDING was done in 1958, I bought the LP a couple years ago ;)

ps I hope Kenny is doing ok these days: there was that medical issue a few years back, where we all chipped in what we could to help out

On 10/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, bolero said:

nice!!

and RIP to RhoadsScholar

speaking of Kenny Burrell, today I found a sealed copy of Kenny Burrell with John Coltrane, I bought and forgot about. circa 1958. playing it now....

well, the RECORDING was done in 1958, I bought the LP a couple years ago ;)

ps I hope Kenny is doing ok these days: there was that medical issue a few years back, where we all chipped in what we could to help out

Great album!  Easy going, two masters blowing away on some cool tunes.  

Archived