Heritage Owners Club

Looking for a Book about Amps

Vanschoyck

Has anyone read any good books about amplifiers lately?  I read one a couple of months ago, pretty good and I learned a few things, but half of the book was schematics which don't help me at all.  And I still feel a great need for a better Gestalt.  So I'm hoping for some recommendations.

Like, to learn about the internals and repair et cetera? There's lots of resources for that online too, hell some of the best stuff out there is the seasoned guys who've posted on various forums. 

One thing that really developed my taste in guitars/amps was around age 12 or 13 I bought "The Tube Amp" book from a guitar store. Basic (old) info about various vintage amps, schematics, and most importantly it had really nice pics of pairings in the middle. Before the internet got big it was like a daily gawk fest for me. 

The older book you saw was possibly Ashman Pitman's.  There's a good one about amps by Dave Hunter.  Gerald Webber has 3 or 4 out there primarily about Fender amp repair.  You can get close to many boutique builders through forums and/or fakebook.

Thanks for the leads guys.  The book I read recently was by G Weber, and while I did learn a few interesting bits, half of the book is schematics which do nothing for me.  I'll start with your three recommendations and see where that leads me.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:57 PM, Steiner said:

There's a good one about amps by Dave Hunter

The Guitar Amp Handbook, yes, and thanks for pointing me in that direction.  It's a great read and lots of info for those that don't own soldering irons.  (I think I have one somewhere but I don't want to know where).  For those that do like to solder there's some of that too, but it doesn't dominate.   It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for so thanks again Mr.Steiner!

On 10/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, rockabilly69 said:

kind of spendy but a good friend of mine recommended this one to me...

This one is by the same author, and yes, what is with that price?  Out of print?  I'll keep my eye on that one and see if I can get one somebody actually wants to sell!

"Ampeg: the story behind the sound" is a great book

"Amps: the other half of Rock and Roll" is good too

"Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones is a good technical book, written back in the '60's or '70's I think? available online; if you google the PDF will probably show up

Archived