Heritage Owners Club

A look back at Heritage

skydog52

On 10/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, TalismanRich said:

I wonder what the actual sales numbers of the hollow body guitars vs solid and semihollow guitars were 4 years ago.  I've always felt that the old guard LIKED making the big archtops.   For a craftsman,  the relatively complex construction of a big jazz box is probably a more satisfying  build compared to the relatively simple construction of a solid body like the 137, Stat or even an H150.

I don't begrudge Heritage for simplifying the lineup.    General Motors shut down Oldsmobile,  Pontiac,  Saturn,  Hummer.   You have to make what's profitable.  

At the same time,  the Millennium is a really good guitar, and I think it would sell if properly marketed.   Some people don't want the bigger semis, but like that sound.   The Mille is nicely placed between the 150 and 535.   It's unique to Heritage.   Hopefully they'll resurrect that one as they get on more solid ground.  

Oh yes, they loved their archtops.  I don't know if it was because of the effort to make them or the "profit margin" they represented, but the big archtops were king.  But the H150 and H535 were the top sellers.  Makes a lot of sense why Heritage cut the models down to six and limited the colors.  

Its nice that some of the non-core models can still be had like the Millie.  However, the H110 and the Prospect were really cool guitars I don't think we'll ever see come out of the factory floor again.  

And don't mention all the artist models.  So many of them were Jazz guitarists.... What's the old sayin?  Jazz Guitarists plays 10,000 chords in front of 3 people but the rock guitarists play 3 chords in front of 10,000 people?  Kind of shows where the influence for artist models lies.  Certainly isn't in Jazz music.  (I have nothing against Jazz, its just not a big genre for next generation guitarists).  Sell cheaper solid bodies like the H150 to a bunch of upcoming rock star wannabes vs. expensive archtops for upcoming jazz wannabes...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have my Leon Rhodes. You might be able to buy it off my widow someday....

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Looking into the top of that guitar is like looking into a young Sophia Loren's eyes!, mesmorizing!!! That top looks like it's actually on fire.

That's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Heritage.  Their flame maple tops and finishes are tops that Gibbons Custom Shop and PRS Private Stock would use.

One of the reasons its been said Heritages are custom shop guitars at non-custom shop prices.

6 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

That's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Heritage.  Their flame maple tops and finishes are tops that Gibbons Custom Shop and PRS Private Stock would use.

One of the reasons its been said Heritages are custom shop guitars at non-custom shop prices.

4 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Looking into the top of that guitar is like looking into a young Sophia Loren's eyes!, mesmorizing!!! That top looks like it's actually on fire.

The H-157W models used all Western Maple in their builds which tends to be tighter in grain and figuring. All the ones I saw where fantastic builds.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, TalismanRich said:

At the same time,  the Millennium is a really good guitar, and I think it would sell if properly marketed.   Some people don't want the bigger semis, but like that sound.   The Mille is nicely placed between the 150 and 535.   It's unique to Heritage.   Hopefully they'll resurrect that one as they get on more solid ground.  

There are different types of Millies out there.  My favorite is the Eagle 2000.

The general concept of the design is not unique, but there are varieties that truly are unique to Heritage.  Here's a competitior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYLyGrWhAE

1 hour ago, skydog52 said:

The H-157W models used all Western Maple in their builds which tends to be tighter in grain and figuring. All the ones I saw where fantastic builds.

I saw the very first one when they were experimented with the Throbak electronics.  Probably one of the most spectacular tops (with matching headstock) I've ever seen.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:20 AM, Steiner said:

Spank you, I depreciate that  :)

I don't generally win often.  When I do, I go big!

What's wrong with you! Heritages do NOT depreciate!

16 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Oh yes, they loved their archtops.  I don't know if it was because of the effort to make them or the "profit margin" they represented, but the big archtops were king.  But the H150 and H535 were the top sellers.  Makes a lot of sense why Heritage cut the models down to six and limited the colors.  

Its nice that some of the non-core models can still be had like the Millie.  However, the H110 and the Prospect were really cool guitars I don't think we'll ever see come out of the factory floor again.  

And don't mention all the artist models.  So many of them were Jazz guitarists.... What's the old sayin?  Jazz Guitarists plays 10,000 chords in front of 3 people but the rock guitarists play 3 chords in front of 10,000 people?  Kind of shows where the influence for artist models lies.  Certainly isn't in Jazz music.  (I have nothing against Jazz, its just not a big genre for next generation guitarists).  Sell cheaper solid bodies like the H150 to a bunch of upcoming rock star wannabes vs. expensive archtops for upcoming jazz wannabes...

Try telling that to Eddie Van Halen!!! He might have set you straight.

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I saw the very first one when they were experimented with the Throbak electronics.  Probably one of the most spectacular tops (with matching headstock) I've ever seen.

Yes they put KZ-115s in those guitars. Nice pickups. Those guitars were not cheap but competed with anything out of the other brand Custom shop. And still less expensive. 

14 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

There are different types of Millies out there.  My favorite is the Eagle 2000.

The general concept of the design is not unique, but there are varieties that truly are unique to Heritage.  Here's a competitior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYLyGrWhAE

The ES Les Paul is different from a MIllie, built more like a 335 in a Les Paul shape.   It's got laminate for the top, back and rims, vs the Millie's 155's carved top and solid back with a more solid rim style.   

I think the closest competitor would be the Guild Bluesbird which uses a routed, chambered mahogany body and a carved maple top.  

In any case,  I think it would be a great addition to their lineup, especially since they no longer have the 150LW.  

22 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Try telling that to Eddie Van Halen!!! He might have set you straight.

What does Eddie have anything to do with that?  He MADE Kramer guitars what it was in the 80's.  He was a rock guitarists playing in front of 10,000+ people, so obviously his influence, as I said in my post, will sell more guitars than all Jazz Guitarists combined.  And those Kramer's were and still are way cheaper than an Archtop.

21 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Yes they put KZ-115s in those guitars. Nice pickups. Those guitars were not cheap but competed with anything out of the other brand Custom shop. And still less expensive. 

As my father-in-law has explained to my kids... "Good Sh*t Costs Money!"  :drink2_mini:

16 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

The ES Les Paul is different from a MIllie, built more like a 335 in a Les Paul shape.   It's got laminate for the top, back and rims, vs the Millie's 155's carved top and solid back with a more solid rim style.   

I think the closest competitor would be the Guild Bluesbird which uses a routed, chambered mahogany body and a carved maple top.  

In any case,  I think it would be a great addition to their lineup, especially since they no longer have the 150LW.  

The closest gibby to the Millie is the LP Supreme.

2 hours ago, skydog52 said:

With all the H-140 talk here is my H-140. 1995

IMG_9978 (2).JPG

Stellar guitar skydog52!

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

Wait, that's a H140?  Looks like a H150.  Saw another for sale on Reverb that looks darn near just like it.

Yes the 10th Anniversary Model is a H-140. 

14 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Its really cool.  But is that body shape about ten years before the change to the H140 2nd edition?  My only guess is its a thinner body to make a H140?

It has the thinner body and a belly cut and weighs 9.0 lbs. My 20th anniversary with the thicker body weighs 9.0 lbs.  All in the wood.

Notice the horn cut. It is a slightly smaller body also.

Anniversary Hs.jpg

Archived