Heritage Owners Club

The most important question when ordering a custom Mesa Boogie: What Color Piping

So, I've thankfully had a pretty good year, and have decided finally to get a Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo. Sweetwater can get one custom made, where I can choose things like the tolex color, grille type, piping color, etc.

So I've got it down to Navy blue Bronco Tolex, a Wicker Grille (BOOGIE CLASSIC!), brown leather corners and handle.

There's also however the option for piping, and I'm pretty sure white looks better with this color combination. However, most that I can find use the tan piping with the brown leather. I've asked a bunch of people, and the opinions are quite divided. Either would look fine, IMHO, but I think white has better lines and just pops better.

If it was a different amp, which had the piping go around more than just the grille, it might be a different choice. What say you all?

boogieblue.jpg

IMG_6879__31297.1581108621.JPG

4 minutes ago, Kuz said:

I vote Tan.  It looks more uniform.  The white looks mismatched to me.  Just my opinion.

True, but with the darker color tolex, it really does make the wicker pop out more, IMHO. Like this Mark V head / cab in wine red.  If it was a lighter color tolex, like surf green, then I would be for tan all the way.

boogiered.jpg

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

True, but with the darker color tolex, it really does make the wicker pop out more, IMHO. Like this Mark V head / cab in wine red.  If it was a lighter color tolex, like surf green, then I would be for tan all the way.

You asked for our opinions, I was just giving mine.  Tbone, it sounds like you already made up your mind. 

50 minutes ago, Kuz said:

You asked for our opinions, I was just giving mine.  Tbone, it sounds like you already made up your mind. 

I really haven't though. I am, unfortunately, OCD, so the "white" vs "uniform" is raging in my head. Thank you so much for weighing in on this.

You don't want to know how long it would take me when I was still ordering stuff from Carvin... so many choices...

But, My tastes seem to have changed lately. I used to see things like lake placid blue guitars with Tortoiseshell pickguards and think "who the hell likes that?" and now I want to buy one.

29 minutes ago, kennyv4 said:

Congratulations on your future amp purchase.  IMO brown piping would keep your accent color choice uniformed.

It definitely would. The piping though, at least on this amp, is only around the grille. I think it would accentuate that classic wicker grille.

If the amp was going to have piping all over, tan would definitely be the clearer choice.  Iike, I love how these colors go together:

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I kinda like the white. Its a cleaner aesthetic. Everything is defined. Symmetry etc .

But with the blue tolex and wicker it reminds me a little of the Laney Lion Heart series. I liked them.

L00452000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Oo, that's nice. Mesa does have a "Cream & Tan" Jute Fiber grill they like to use with Blue as well, and for that they usually also use either white or tan piping. I guess it depends If I want the piping to go with the trim, or separate the grille from the rest of the amp.

Go with the tan that matches the colors.

Personally, I wouldn't have leather covered corner protectors because they are going to get torn up fast.

If you're sticking with the brown leather corners, get the matching piping.

If you go with chrome corners, go with white.

There's my opinion

Now show us some pictures when you get it.

3 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Go with the tan that matches the colors.

Personally, I wouldn't have leather covered corner protectors because they are going to get torn up fast.

If you're sticking with the brown leather corners, get the matching piping.

If you go with chrome corners, go with white.

There's my opinion

Now show us some pictures when you get it.

Mesa is BIG on leather corners. That's pretty much the only thing they do on their combos. All four of my Mesa Amps have leather corner protectors. I had thought about black corners and handle, but somehow with the wicker it just goes better with navy blue and tan. Once I saw the blue with the tan, I knew that was it.

I think, I'm going with the white. Of course it's going to take a few months to custom order, but the wait will be worth it. I'll need to get some more ANOS preamp tubes to throw in key areas.

28 minutes ago, gpuma said:

Leather corners sound so much better.

As for the piping, if you like the boogie midrange go for tan, white piping has a Marshall sound.

LOL and I agree!  Moreover, if you do leather corners with white piping the amp will spontaneously combust on the first E79# chord.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have placed the order. 2-3 months was the estimate when I ordered it, so now the waiting begins. That will give me plenty of time to read and re-read the manual, which is 30 pages of solid text. It really is like buying a bunch of different amps in the same housing.

Archived