Heritage Owners Club

WhAts with gold tops

holyroller

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, loudtubeamps said:

Were the gold tops in the 90's an up charge like the ones I see on the Heritage guitar site? A $200.00 difference on the new ones.

Nope.  But times have changed. 

Not exactly surprising. Bronze powder finishes can take more work and time to get right. They require different spraying equipment, and they need to clean everything out quickly and thoroughly, because the powder gets into everything inside the spray gun.

Personally, I love Gold Tops because you can choose a guitar based on it's sonic tone.  Like the Good Doctor said, Gold Tops say elegance & class.  You can play 4 or 5 Gold Tops and they all look the same.  You aren't second guessing which has a better flamed top, you are only listening for which one sounds best.

Personally, my favorite opaque colors are Gold, Sea Foam Green, Surf Green, Lake Placid Blue and Shell Pink.  No Red or Black for me, thank you. 

Most of my guitars have a wood type finish, either burst or natural.  The exceptions are my G&L Legacy which is solid candy red, the 535 which is transparent faded cherry,  the Dean Key Largo acoustic, which is a deep trans blue, and the Melancon T is a transparent Mary Kaye white.    

I like the look of wood grain in a guitar.

FWIW,  those images came from your gallery.    I just right click on a pic,  hit Copy Image Location, the in the message editor, right click and Paste.     Not sure what issue you're having with  your browser, unless its a phone browser.   I HATE phone browsers.   They are ok for short texts, or to read an email, but I stay away from browsing on my phone.

Ah,  I see.  I read the same thing on the recording forums.   Slowly the software is moving beyond the capabilities of the old hardware and OSs.  Unfortunately,  vintage in computers doesn't work the same way as vintage in guitars.   Eventually, it's time to bite the bullet and modernize.

It's a little more complicated for me. Updating to a new computer would make my graphics software inoperable. I have several thousand dollars invested in Adobe products. Also the countries I work with are not even up to date with the programs I run so I have to save things backwards for them to access (save an image I created in Adobe Photoshop 5.5 back to Adobe Photoshop 3). I might have to get a new laptop just for the internet and use my old workstation for business.

6 hours ago, bolero said:

I especially like solid colors once the wood grain starts to show through, after some time has passed

Yes, sir!  Sometimes you can see the flame under the gold as well.

A decade ago I had a H-150 goldtop with P-90s.  It disturbed me that it was developing checking.  It wouldn't today.  The signs of aging are now endearing.

14 hours ago, pressure said:

I'm using my old Mac. Little by little it can't log onto websites that have updated software. I can view and comment on this site but not post BB code linked images. I can no longer get on the Illinois State Police web site.

I have a 2011 27" imac downstairs with a partitioned hd , one side running snow leopard, the other..the current OS.

I have a 2008 17" macbook pro for day to day stuff running snow leopard.

The only browsers that squeak  through on most sites for me are either Chrome or Firefox.

I'm on Chrome here at the moment, no issues with forums ..posting images etc.

I refuse to buy newer pooter's for a bunch of reasons.

I just replaced the hard drive in this laptop with a Kingston solid state 500 gb, took me about half an hour and less than 100 bucks.

13 hours ago, pressure said:

It's a little more complicated for me. Updating to a new computer would make my graphics software inoperable. I have several thousand dollars invested in Adobe products. Also the countries I work with are not even up to date with the programs I run so I have to save things backwards for them to access (save an image I created in Adobe Photoshop 5.5 back to Adobe Photoshop 3). I might have to get a new laptop just for the internet and use my old workstation for business.

Thought you were a retired dude

18 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Ah,  I see.  I read the same thing on the recording forums.   Slowly the software is moving beyond the capabilities of the old hardware and OSs.  Unfortunately,  vintage in computers doesn't work the same way as vintage in guitars.   Eventually, it's time to bite the bullet and modernize.

Not me. You can drag me away kicking and screaming but I am not giving up my Texas Instruments TI99

Archived