Heritage Owners Club

Carr Rambler???

I had one.  It is a great amp but (IMHO) it couldn't touch my vintage Deluxe Reverb or my vintage Vibrolux Reverb so I sold it.

It just wasn't quite as open, 3D, and chimey as my vintage Fenders.

(IMHO) I would get a vintage Blackface or Silverface Deluxe Reverb instead.  If that is not an option, I would buy a used Rambler (with the depreciation) over a new one.  

My Carr Rambler has been my go to amp for years. I totally love it and will never sell it. My Carr has the unusual 2 10" speaker option with old Jensens in it.

I recently replaced it with a Kemper and monitor and have been playing all my gigs with the Kemper. Guess what amp I choose for my performances, of all the amps available on the Kemper, I choose the Carr Rambler. Go figure, lol.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:03 PM, DetroitBlues said:

I know Ken Haas over at Reverend Guitars absolutely loves his.  I thought he said it was more Marshall-like then Fender, but I wouldn't know.

I spoke with (Steve, maybe?) years ago when I had my Rambler and he confirmed it was based off a Blackface Deluxe Reverb, definitely American voicing, not Marshall voiced.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, Kuz said:

I spoke with (Steve, maybe?) years ago when I had my Rambler and he confirmed it was based off a Blackface Deluxe Reverb, definitely American voicing, not Marshall voiced.

that's right.  And to clarify my earlier comment:  it is a very very good amp, well made, sounds great,  just wasn't best for my application or taste.

18 hours ago, jazzalicious said:

Hmmm. So tell me about Vintage Sound... curious. Prices are way below the Carr amps. How's the tone for jazz,  and how is the build quality?

I love mine.  It is the "Jazz" model, voiced for jazz.  20 watts 6v6, can run 6L6/5881 for more headroom.  I've tried both and prefer the 6v6 sound - a little warmer, softer around the edges.  12' speaker.  Kind of between a blackface Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb.  Beefier transformer, plenty loud.  Solid build.  

BC0A137D-5C6F-4D2D-94C1-8DF4D64F4709_1_105_c.jpeg

00CE5F09-900C-481A-90C3-DBB5D3007F9A_1_105_c.jpeg

• 1 month later...

They are great amps. The Rambler is based off the BF Deluxe but runs 6l6 tubes so imo some of the warmth of the 6v6 is lost. They sound great though, just a little different. 

If you want the deluxe sound the Slant 6v can do a better job at it. I had one for almost 20 years and it was a great amp. I loaded and unloaded it in and out of vans, cars and trucks for years and years. The amp looked beat with dents tears and rips but I never had to service it at all other than change worn out tubes. Carr amps are BUILT STRONG! The components are top notch and it is an amp that can last a life time. Mine was the 21st slant 6 made, that was back in 2001 when I bought it new. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, zguitar71 said:

They are great amps. The Rambler is based off the BF Deluxe but runs 6l6 tubes so imo some of the warmth of the 6v6 is lost. They sound great though, just a little different. 

If you want the deluxe sound the Slant 6v can do a better job at it. I had one for almost 20 years and it was a great amp. I loaded and unloaded it in and out of vans, cars and trucks for years and years. The amp looked beat with dents tears and rips but I never had to service it at all other than change worn out tubes. Carr amps are BUILT STRONG! The components are top notch and it is an amp that can last a life time. Mine was the 21st slant 6 made, that was back in 2001 when I bought it new. 

Mine was the 6th and it’s an upside down head. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived