Heritage Owners Club

Tube amps for jazz

• I'm not a jazz guitarist by any means, a Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special w/ 1- 12" is a beautiful super clean tube amp that you can select 5, 10 or 30 watt.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, motoputz said:
  • I'm not a jazz guitarist by any means, a Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special w/ 1- 12" is a beautiful super clean tube amp that you can select 5, 10 or 30 watt.

Seeing Mesa Boogle mentioned reminded me of possibly the UK's hardest working jazz guitarist - Nigel Price. Last year he'd arranged an extensive British tour for the last three months of 2020. Unfortunately after he'd organised the dates, Covid regulations were brought in which reduced the capacity of the venues, and hence ticket income. The expenses stayed the same, so to help finance the tour Nigel organised a raffle with some of his equipment as prizes.

1st prize was a Fibonacci "Americano" guitar, 2nd prize was a Fender Blues Junior, 3rd prize was a Mesa Boogie Rocket 44 (which I've seen Nigel using in gigs). This video show Nigel demonstrating the prizes...

Having looked around, Rivera makes some INCREDIBLE Jazz amplifiers. The Jazz Suprema line.

You also need to decide on whether you want ANY ability to dial in a little dirt. The Rivera Jazz Suprema is super headroom for clean.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, tbonesullivan said:

Having looked around, Rivera makes some INCREDIBLE Jazz amplifiers. The Jazz Suprema line.

You also need to decide on whether you want ANY ability to dial in a little dirt. The Rivera Jazz Suprema is super headroom for clean.

The Suprema is one of those amps I've always wanted to try but just never came into contact with. 

Found a Vintage Sound 22 for $1650 canadian locally. 2 channels with channel 1 being a Brownface mod, and channel 2 being a standard fender deluxe channel I guess. Not being a tube amp guy, I don't know much about Brownface tones. I play mainly jazz, but like to have some grit now and then... any thoughts on Brownface tones? 

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, jazzalicious said:

Any recommendations? Ideally around 20 watts or slightly more or less. 

I have a great amp suitable for jazz on the FS section.  It’s a Gibbons GA40 RVT. Ver warm and clean. 

Archived