Heritage Owners Club

NGD - H535

Rob2020

6 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Sweet H-535.  What's the neck profile like on these newfangled Heritage gitfiddles?  They used to be all over the map from 60's slim to 50's fat depending on who was rolling necks that day on Parsons Street.

I'm new to Heritage so I will leave it to the knowledgeable veterans to answer your question.  I expect the neck on this will feel very much the same as the neck on my 530, but I don't know how to describe that other than it's more slim than chunky

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H535 and H530 are a great combination. I started with the 535 many years ago and added the 530 to the collection only 2y ago or so. I too tried different strings and finished up with D'Addario 11/50 Jazz Light nickel flat wound on both of them. Last year, I swapped the 535 Schaller humbuckers for hand wound Brierley B90s and couldn't be happier with them.

IMG_2833.jpeg

So last evening after having a little zoom jam with my 530, doing the dishes, taking out the trash, and connecting with my wife (not sure about order of priority there), I opened up the box and took this out and played for maybe a half hour; I also played a short while this morning.  

My initial impressions were "jeez this thing is heavy" and "wow those humbuckers are alot hotter than the P90s".  It felt and sounded somewhat overpowering after I've become accustomed to the 530 -- at least at home volume.  Not much I can do about the weight, but I changed the input I'm using on my amp and lowered the gain a bit on my preamp pedal (Tech 21 Blonde), and that softened the sound.  (My wife did say that it sounded very good last night, so I may be a bit over-critical.)

I'll take more pics later, but here's one of it now in my home office ready for a work break.  (The color in this picture is darker than the guitar actually appears.)  

20201113_080938 small.jpg

7 hours ago, LeBaron said:

H535 and H530 are a great combination. I started with the 535 many years ago and added the 530 to the collection only 2y ago or so. I too tried different strings and finished up with D'Addario 11/50 Jazz Light nickel flat wound on both of them. Last year, I swapped the 535 Schaller humbuckers for hand wound Brierley B90s and couldn't be happier with them.

IMG_2833.jpeg

Beautiful collection

1 hour ago, Rob2020 said:

I too tried different strings and finished up with D'Addario 11/50 Jazz Light nickel flat wound on both of them

I've got a set of those in 10s sitting in my strings box; I'll give them a try.

This morning I did swap out the three wound strings for D'Addario Pure Nickels; that's an improvement to my ears.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, Rob2020 said:

Yes, and my wife doesn't understand why I shouldn't open it (although she made it clear she doesn't care).

Speaking of my wife, maybe someone here can help me figure out how I can explain to her why I just bought two of the "same" guitars.  I don't think she'll appreciate the nuances of P90s, humbuckers, hollow, and semi-hollow. ;)

Aren't you supposed to introduce us?

On 11/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, Rob2020 said:

are there any women on this forum?

We prefer to call them ladies. Unless it's "the girl" who works AT HERITAGE!

Just now, ElNumero said:

We prefer to call them ladies. Unless it's "the girl" who works AT HERITAGE (who is actually a very nice lady herself). 

5 hours ago, kennyv4 said:   A really nice collection Baron.  

2004 H535, 2006 Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Special Anniversary edition, 2015 Duesenberg D6 Baritone, 1970s Emperador J200 replica, 2018 H530, 2020 blackwood Mini Maton.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:09 AM, LeBaron said:

I too tried different strings and finished up with D'Addario 11/50 Jazz Light nickel flat wound on both of them

Do you find that these strings ("Chromes", right?), need some playing time to mellow out and sound good?  I've tried Chromes on several guitars over the years and as I recall my initial reaction has been that I don't care for them and take them off quickly. 

Chromes have hex cores and therefore more tension.  They loosen up a little as time goes on.  Initially they are bright.  They become duller or warmer largely because they are steel and degrade.  Nonetheless they last a pretty long time except the unwrapped ones.  Those may require changing before the wrapped ones.

The nickel wrapped ones seem to last the longest.  Many prefer the round core types due to the reduced tension.  TI's are the most widely used and are the benchmark for quality.  I have found that Optima and Pyramid both make high quality round core flatwounds and often are less expensive.  Sometimes there are blow out sales on them.  Here are some websites to check for sales.  If you sign up, they will email you when sales occur.

https://www.juststrings.com/

https://www.stringsbymail.com/

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

If you like Chromes, also consider Rotosounds and GHS flatwounds.  Often these cost less and are good strings.

Toty Viola has been a Heritage endorser for a long time.  He uses GHS flats despite being a close friend of George Benson and not choosing George's TI sets, which are about three times as expensive.  Heritage has collaborated with GHS for decades, especially Ren Wall.  Here is Toty in action.  I am taking up this space for Toty because some people believe that GHS doesn't make great strings.  They do.  Take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuTnJwjfn-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKejVODBtYA&list=PLODtjdMAo91dYfNTfAOGs8dEhG1b4eJLX

Here are Toty's last Heritage build.  It's was designed by Toty and George along with the Heritage builders.  One of the pics shows George playing it and Toty in the foreground on the right with George's guitar.

In summary, there is a large world of flatwound strings.  There is no best.  Try the less expensive, take careful notes, then try something else.  Enjoy the hunt!

50355857691_e4578a6a3e_c.jpg

50356015297_a9545ac61a_c (1).jpg

50356015037_8566309ab2_c.jpg

50355856641_abc01beb34_c.jpg

50355856901_98c8b38854_c.jpg

50355856721_34872b3a1a_c.jpg

Archived