Heritage Owners Club

NGD - H535

Rob2020

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, Rob2020 said:

I expect the neck on this will feel very much the same as the neck on my 530, but I don't know how to describe that other than it's more slim than chunky

The neck on the 535 feels a bit wider than on the 530, but I haven't measured the necks so this is purely subjective

8 hours ago, Rob2020 said:

Do you find that these strings ("Chromes", right?), need some playing time to mellow out and sound good?  I've tried Chromes on several guitars over the years and as I recall my initial reaction has been that I don't care for them and take them off quickly. 

Yes they're chrome, not nickel wound. They are brighter striaght up and do tone down a little with age.

I've been having a hard time keeping it in tune.  The G string's intonation was way off.  This evening I swapped out the plain 3rd (a 17) for a wound 3rd (an 18 from Stringjoy) and that made all the difference. Very happy now.

31 minutes ago, Rob2020 said:

too dark for me, check out this vintage 59

Gibson / ES-335 TDN / 1959 / Blonde / Vintage Guitar, feel free to share  this beautiful guitar | Gibson electric guitar, Vintage guitars, Guitar

Recently I saw a vintage ES335 with black reflectors with silver inserts and it looked good. The only guitars I like gold speedknobs on are '54 or older goldtops LPs, or the reissues. But I did put them on a cheap epi archtop olympic that I electrified for my solo gigs. I got ones the were vintage tinted...

Gold.jpg

I've ordered the gold speedknobs.  I think black/silver look great on a cherry ES but not natural.  Also a cream selector switch knob (and a couple of knobs for my Tele).  The speedknobs are on backorder but there's no rush.  Pics will come of course.

Funny sometimes how conservative we all are on our gear, and thanks for the suggestions

But much more importantly, last night I learned the difference between sus4 and add4 chords :)

On 11/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, Rob2020 said:

Black or gold with silver inserts?

And what exit? (4 for me)

I would say black with silver insert, but gold with silver inserts would look good on natural as well.

Exit 63

21 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I like the gold top hats with silver inserts on a sunburst, but for a natural finish, the black speed knobs are a nice touch.   It needs a bit of contrast.

thanks -- it's all a matter of personal taste and preferences which can change from time to time.  And it's easy and inexpensive to change knobs. :)

Archived