Heritage Owners Club

I've Got A Buzz On

ficecone

Not that kind of buzz. My Millennium has started buzzing. It's an electrical buzz when I plug it into an amp. It's not the amp. I tried other guitars that work fine. Took it to Guitar Center because I thought it might be a grounding issue in the guitar but it worked just fine at GC. The tech thought it could be my house? Any thoughts?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ficecone said:

Not that kind of buzz. My Millennium has started buzzing. It's an electrical buzz when I plug it into an amp. It's not the amp. I tried other guitars that work fine. Took it to Guitar Center because I thought it might be a grounding issue in the guitar but it worked just fine at GC. The tech thought it could be my house? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Is moving an option?

So I have used other guitars on same and different amps and zero buzz. I have not tried switching cables but the other guitars have no buzz with same cable.

The new neighbors house glows at night but they seem ok in spite of the scales on their skin.

Other guitars work fine in room and house with same cable. 

If you have an ohmmeter, check the continuity between the bridge/tailpiece and the circuit ground. There should be a wire going through the body to join those together. I am not sure about the finer details of the Millennium design, but on my H150s, there is a small hole drilled between the pickup cavity and one of the tailpiece post studs. The wire (solid wire, usually) is fed from the pickup cavity, through the hole, and into the tailpiece post stud hole before the bridge post is pressed into the hole. This grounds the strings, tuners, bridge, and tailpiece.

Does the buzz occur with the volume knobs on the guitar on zero? If not, it may just be a wiring issue.

HTH.

rooster.

When I got to Guitar Center, its not for their technicians.  

As far as the buzz, if it just started, I agree with others on here. 

The ground wire may have gotten weak.

Question of which ground?

Does the buzz go away when you touch the bridge/tailpiece?  That would be the ground wire to the bridge

Do all the controls function correctly?  If not, a ground could be faulty to a tone pot.

If it's 60 cycle hum, it could be from the pickup or electrical interference.

In some cases, a pickguard can build up static, so a dryer sheet would fix that.

Just my ideas.

Unless the wiring has been disturbed , I have found the most common problem is oxidization of the jack.

Roll up a bit of fine sandpaper, insert it into the  output jack on the guitar and give it a few spins, as couple of passes of the sandpaper on the patch cable jacks isn't a bad idea either.

11 hours ago, loudtubeamps said:

Roll up a bit of fine sandpaper, insert it into the  output jack on the guitar and give it a few spins, as couple of passes of the sandpaper on the patch cable jacks isn't a bad idea either.

I tend to use a pipe cleaner folded in half and twisted, put a bit of lighter fluid on it, and use that to clean out the jacks. Pipe cleaners are great tools for guitar and amp jacks.

rooster.

Archived