Heritage Owners Club

H-535 On the Way

ChuckNOS

So I pulled the trigger on a used H-535 on eBay. The big issue is the checking along the neck and headstock which are depicted in the photos. Eyes wide open. Once it gets here my guitar tech will know if the issue is more serious than cosmetic. 

The seller offers a 30 day return policy (at seller's cost!) so I figure its a great way to try out the guitar to see if we fall in love.

I'll post the link to the eBay ad here and welcome constructive input (please don't call me a nit wit, I have a wife who fulfills that function well when I deserve it!)

Thanks

Chuck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heritage-Standard-H-535-Semi-Hollowbody-Translucent-Cherry-2019-OHSC/133597159290?hash=item1f1b02df7a:g:4TcAAOSwSBpfyswE

Just got an UPS update. The guitar will be delivered tomorrow (purchased just yesterday). Original estimate was for Monday! Logistically, I was all set for Monday to get it in the house without the Wife knowing!!!  I'm going to have to rearrange my schedule. She needs time to acclimate to my guitars!

13 minutes ago, sgt1577 said:

Very nice!  The finish checking is interesting. Never seen it on such a new guitar. My '15 535 has none!  Looks like someone added an ABR bridge too!

Thanks. You're right on the bridge. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Thoughts on that anyone?

12 minutes ago, ChuckNOS said:

Thanks. You're right on the bridge. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Thoughts on that anyone?

good change imo

Appears to just be finishing checking.  Not a bad thing really, should help reduce the cost to you.

Some people use a hair dryer and computer contact cleaner to cause further checking.

Either way, congratulations.  I think Seth Lover pickups are the absolute best sounding pickups for a 535.

Really beautiful guitar. IMO, Trans Cherry "IS" the finish for that guitar. I had one just like it, foolishly sold it, but then got lucky on a Trans Cherry 555 that I bought locally. As far as the finish checking, I have a Trans Cherry 155 DC from Jay Wolfe that had finish checking from the factory. Doesn't bother me at all. 

7 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

s-l1600.jpg

I love how you can still see the flame top hidden underneath.

Yes, my ex-TC 535 was exactly the same!

9 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

My 535 is listed as "Faded Cherry".   You can see the grain through the finish really well.

Red semi's are the way they were meant to be! :biggrin_mini2:

Originally I was going for cherry red 535, but the flame maple is hard to see underneath.  If its too light for a faded cherry finish, it looks almost pink.

So I opted for Wine Red because it makes the flame stick out a little better.

Its a hard finish to get right.

So I received the guitar yesterday and I had an opportunity to play it for a few minutes. Initial reaction is "keeper" but it had too light old strings, fret board a bit dry and maybe the truss rod needs adjustment. I pots may need to need to be swapped as I am spoiled bye the taper pots in my R9.

I took it to my luthier who approved of the sound, weight and feel. He's going to get it all set up, pick-ups adjusted and balanced, intimated, etc.

I'll report back here when I get it back.

19 hours ago, ChuckNOS said:

I took it to my luthier who approved of the sound, weight and feel. He's going to get it all set up, pick-ups adjusted and balanced, intimated, etc.

OK, I've gotta ask.  Is he going to intimate it, intimidate it, intonate it, resonate it, defibrillate it, or intoxicate it?  I need to know; my H535 is overdue for a setup.

(Fine guitar, by the way.  I too have a trans cherry one.) 

1 hour ago, LK155 said:

OK, I've gotta ask.  Is he going to intimate it, intimidate it, intonate it, resonate it, defibrillate it, or intoxicate it?  I need to know; my H535 is overdue for a setup.

(Fine guitar, by the way.  I too have a trans cherry one.) 

well...he really does LOVE guitars, but "intonate" is the proper term here..lol . . . what happens when autocorrect is forgotten! 

Archived