Heritage Owners Club

Gibbons purchases Mesa Boogie

ElNumero

I guess since Randall Smith is 75,  it's probably a good move to preserve the company.   I don't know their company structure, but private companies often don't survive as well after the founder leaves.  

Now we'll see if Gibs0n starts doing the things that happened with CBS/Fender or Norlin/Gibbons.  If they're smart,  they'll leave it intact.

Gibbons has a graveyard of once great companies out the back of their house.

My first reaction when I heard the news was that I wouldnt ever buy a new mesa again, but I thought about it and realised I probably was never going to anyway.

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

Gibbons has a graveyard of once great companies out the back of their house.

My first reaction when I heard the news was that I wouldnt ever buy a new mesa again, but I thought about it and realised I probably was never going to anyway.

Yeah Gibbons almost ruined Cakewalk but Bandlab saved then at least. But if the latest offerings of the Gibbons/Epiphone company are any indication of how Gibbons is doing maybe their association with Mesa will be a good thing!

I am going to hold out for Yooper to sell me his Mesa/Booogie. 

There's been a lot of discussion about this online, as you can imagine. It all depends whether the new management team at Gibbons really IS about keeping things good. They definitely had some missteps, like Suing Dean and the "All Original" campaign.

Guitarworld had the first interview that I've seen regarding it:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jc-curleigh-cesar-gueikian-and-randy-smith-on-Gibbonss-monumental-acquisition-of-mesaboogie-and-what-it-means-for-the-iconic-brands

• 2 weeks later...

Probably will be an import line eventually, just for brand protection if nothing else.  

Even if they don’t let China copy their premium amps, there are enough cloners in the third world that their amps are going to get copied anyway.

Better to design and license something to China and make some money off of it than not.

Archived