Heritage Owners Club

Just For Fun Micro-Rig

Gitfiddler

Being stuck at home and unable to play out with friends and band mates is a dangerous thing...for me.  I have too much time to ponder, play, fantasize about what it will be like when we can once again make a joyful noise at clubs and gatherings.

For long time I've been looking at more lightweight gear for those future gigs, but didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff to sit in a corner until then.  So after researching the market for small amps, micro heads and cabinets, I decided to take a chance on a DV Mark "Raw Dawg" EG micro amp head (rated at 150/250 watts @ 8ohm / 4ohm).  It has a wide EQ band and decent Reverb.   It is a CLEAN amp!  I did not want overdrive since I rely on pedals for that, but it had to sound great with pedals. 

I needed a compatible speaker cab, but had to look no further than the far corner of my music room.  There sat a 1966 Epiphone cab loaded with two CTS AlNiCo 10's, rated at just over 100 watts.  I posted about this cab a few years ago when I found it online.  I'd been using it connected to my 70's Vibro Champ to glorious effect, pushing 4 ohms.  That cabinet is PERFECT for the DV Mark!!  I've never heard these CTS 10's at full song with the limited 5 watts the Vibro Champ puts out, but man, does this cabinet sound amazing pushed with the powerful DV Mark.  I'm careful to not push the old speakers too much, but it gets very loud at around 1 o'clock on the volume dial, remaining clean and close to stage level at 3 o'clock.  Nothing but fat tone all the way with this unusual mini rig.  I can't wait to hear it at a rehearsal or even a gig.    

Here's what it looks like...  

spacer.png

Perhaps not as formidable as a full Marshall stack, however, if anybody can make it sing, it's the Gitfiddler!  Congrats!  May you play in good health.

33 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Nice set up!

Perfect amp for my needs also, no preamp gain control getting in the way.

How does it do with od pedals etc?

OD pedals sing with their intended voice.  I've used Ibanez Tube Screamers, White Face Rat Reissue and Zendrive, all sounding great to my ear.

Also, I've connected the DV Mark to other speaker cabs (Mesa Black Shadow, Celestion Vintage 30's) and all sounded fat and clear.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, golferwave said:

Cool lookin' rig!  And still loud enough to wake up the neighbors.

...Yes, and the local constabulary if not careful.  During early testing of this exceptionally loud 250 watt rig I thought for sure I'd soon receive an aggressive knock on my front door.  Fortunately, not the case.  Can't wait to set this little monster loose in a band setting.  :toothy10:

21 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

...Yes, and the local constabulary if not careful.  During early testing of this exceptionally loud 250 watt rig I thought for sure I'd soon receive an aggressive knock on my front door.  Fortunately, not the case.  Can't wait to set this little monster loose in a band setting.  :toothy10:

Those constabulary guys have no sense of humor. They always show up uninvited just as the party is getting good. Seems like they showed up to a PSP once upon a time as well. No sense of humor at all.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, golferwave said:

Those constabulary guys have no sense of humor. They always show up uninvited just as the party is getting good. Seems like they showed up to a PSP once upon a time as well. No sense of humor at all.

That was a PSP pre-party, wasn't it? ?‍♂️?‍♀️?

Like the looks of that rig, Tim!  I went on a similar thought process and hunt and a bandmate liked the Vox ac10c1 limited edition he'd just bought (creamback spkr) so I got one of those.  Light weight combo and it does that Vox thing really well in the home so hoping it works well on the gig, also.  Built an od pedal kit to go with it as well.

578903347_ScreenShot2021-02-12at5_53_03PM.png.b8114c60067a4992b007bb2ceaf2da16.png

Archived