Heritage Owners Club

Green Johnny Smith

MartyGrass

I like green, blue, ...I like them as the Lord made them.  But I can understand some of them look really wierd....just about wet my pants the first time I heard someone say "clown burst"......it was a memorable time......................................................................................................................................it ain't easy being green....that is for sure......had one very good friend say, "I don't usually like green guitars" while holding one of mine....so then I countered with ," I don't usually like guitar repair guys."............I think I will call him "clown burst" for that comment........................I LIKE GREEN.................VOTE YES TO GREEN................I will get the T-SHIRTS going......

KW 2019 1122.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The green HJS is at Pete Moreno's shop.  It checked out very well with him.

I stopped in a few days ago.  He has removed the hardware and has it on a rack of guitars at the front of his shop.  Initially he was surprised to see the green finish on such a nice archtop.  Now he says he's used to it and it's okay.  In fact visitors to his shop almost universally ask him to pull the guitar out of the rack so they can see the whole thing and admire it.

The top will require some help to restore it.  There are dings and scratches throughout.  Surprisingly the rest of the guitar is in excellent+ condition.

He suggested taking the finish off the top to see the details of the figuring.  If it's particularly appealing he thought having a deep antique natural top with the rest green could work.  I'm favoring a green to black burst.

Anyway the green shock is over.  I've reflected on the color issue.  There are reds, blues, blacks, orange-yellow bursts and more that color large archtops and no one is startled.  The solid body world is filled with almost anything colorful and some bizarre patterns.  Even the shapes of the guitars can be inherently weird but are acceptable.  The Flying V and Explorer are examples.  I am convinced that it just comes down to what you are used to seeing.  Jazz guitarists tend to be conservative like classical musicians.  For example, if you went to an orchestra concert and saw violins in cherry and vintage sunburst you'd react.  If you went to a piano concert and saw a striped piano, you'd react.  If it were Elton John playing that piano, you wouldn't bat an eye.  I'd bet you'd be surprised if he played a black or mahogany Yamaha actually.

It should be just a few weeks to have all of this sorted out.  I'll give an update.

If it has to be green I think green to black would look good. Pete might be right with a natural top if it's in good shape.

I just don't like green guitars. I must be too much of a Michigan fan.

3 hours ago, skydog52 said:

If it has to be green I think green to black would look good. Pete might be right with a natural top if it's in good shape.

I just don't like green guitars. I must be too much of a Michigan fan.

Yeah.  Blue and maize top!

Archived