Heritage Owners Club

H-150 Best Years Between '95-2015?

sasquatchgeoff

I have my eye on three H-150s from '95-'15 

I was wondering if there are opinions on this year-range selection. I'm thinking $2200 or less. I don't mind the CM models and I prefer a burst but not necessary if everything else is right about the instrument. I'll even take Schaller pups and hdwe. and lost pickguard etc. Looking for a player.

I already own a '99 H-555 and host of other Fender, Gib, etc. but need a LP to round out the fleet.

Thanks in advance for input.

You can probably have your pick for $2200.   That's almost the list price of a new one.   Jimmy Wallace has all their H150s listed at $2195.     Chicago Music Exchange has nice used one for $1800.  

I wouldn't be so much worried about the year, but rather look at the weight and condition.   CM just means Curly Maple.   It normally doesn't command a premium, as all H150s are maple topped, and most of it had decent flame unless they were trying to make "plain tops".

What Rich said. 

I would be more interested in the neck carve than the year as these were hand rolled and each one is going to feel different in your hands. A cheep upgrade would be replacing the pots which might be scratchy after a couple of decades and their values could be 250 on older years rather than 500. Many change out the Schaller bridge and stop for locking Abr-1 Faber types. 

I also wouldn't base my decision on the year a guitar was built at Heritage.  There's way too much variability within the same year.  Some customers and some dealers specifically requested neck rolling and carving parameters.

The necks are probably more consistent recently, but they may be consistently what you don't want.

If you aren't adaptable to the feel of a guitar, meaning if you are fussy, it's best to try the guitar out first.

Some people adjust fairly quickly to different necks and hefts.  That's a blessing.

You guys are right - really open-ended topic and hard to answer definitively, but I still appreciate the input, and glad I asked the questions. I thought CM meant chambered. The variety of neck carves is more complicated than I thought. I still have a lot to learn!

The only way to know if the guitar is up to your specs is to play it first and try not to think about the year. Looking at it from a year perspective will shadow your feel for the guitar. I wouldn’t rule out one from any year. Play them and feel them and listen to them unplugged. Make your choice from that. Of course you should plug it in and make sure it works but the final plugged in sound is open to the unbelievable rich choices for electronics these days. This is a lucky time for guitar players with some cash in hand. 

Ren did tell us at one of the PSPs that throughout the years the necks got a bit thicker as stock. Not talking baseball thicker. But as the custom requests came in for slightly thicker profiles, so went the stock. Meaning, up to 2005 you might run across a bit thinner neck than from 2005 upward. 

Archived