Heritage Owners Club

NGD Heritage H-535 Gold Top

Otter359

NGD! My good friend found this guitar posted on a (somewhat) local Craigslist and sent it over to me. Lucky for me, he did not want to buy it! I've been keeping an eye out for a gold top at a reasonable price for a little while now. After a couple hour drive roundtrip, she's home!

It appears to be an '07 with an X serial code. Seth Lover in the bridge and Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck. Heritage TKL case. It has the oval "Heritage Custom Shop" label. Did all 535's get this label?

Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/5rSxMLo

This could mean my other natural-finish 535 will be posted on the Marketplace soon...

1 hour ago, Otter359 said:

NGD! My good friend found this guitar posted on a (somewhat) local Craigslist and sent it over to me. Lucky for me, he did not want to buy it! I've been keeping an eye out for a gold top at a reasonable price for a little while now. After a couple hour drive roundtrip, she's home!

It appears to be an '07 with an X serial code. Seth Lover in the bridge and Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck. Heritage TKL case. It has the oval "Heritage Custom Shop" label. Did all 535's get this label?

Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/5rSxMLo

This could mean my other natural-finish 535 will be posted on the Marketplace soon...

Congratulations, Otter359! 

That is a great looking H535 Goldtop.  It looks like the cousin of my '08 Goldtop/Dark Back.  Mine came with Phat Cats, ebony board and fat neck.

From what I've heard gold is not the easiest color to apply.  Maybe that's why there aren't too many of them.

Play it in good health.

15 hours ago, Otter359 said:

It has the oval "Heritage Custom Shop" label. Did all 535's get this label?

Nice looking axe.  I like the color on the back!

As for the label,  Heritage has used a number of different labels over the years.   There was no special label for "custom shop" guitars, since they were ALL custom shop.  The distinctions would be what was written on the label.  Special stuff is typically hand written there.... special pickups, color, etc.

4 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Nice looking axe.  I like the color on the back!

As for the label,  Heritage has used a number of different labels over the years.   There was no special label for "custom shop" guitars, since they were ALL custom shop.  The distinctions would be what was written on the label.  Special stuff is typically hand written there.... special pickups, color, etc.

I have that oval “Custom Shop” label in my 535! Signed by 20+ folks at Heritage!

8EBAA996-C02C-4160-86E8-74ED0D1AD067.jpeg

1 hour ago, Otter359 said:

Thank you, all! Here's a pic of my other 535, 2004 factory 2nd.  The two are quite similar guitars in neck shape, playability, and tones. The flame is subdued under regular light, but comes alive with bright light.

84138740_HeritageH-5352004-Imgur.thumb.jpg.49b00b03f3fbae09214d426a36fa1929.jpg

Beautiful!! 

Ever consider getting one of those "Custom Made" plaques to cover the holes?

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/truss-rod-covers/pre-engraved-or-oem/custom-made-plate-for-es-335-355-guitars-with-bigbsy-tremolo-installed/

On 2/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, Gitfiddler said:

20 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

7 hours ago, Rob2020 said:

Speaking of Bigsbys, I have a B6 with down tension bar on backorder from Towner for my 535. https://townerusa.com/product/bigsby-b6-kit-towner-system/

I'll post pics after I have it mounted.

I have thought about putting a plate on it and found a place that customizes the words on the plate. I thought about getting a plate that said "Woody" or "Blondie" for the guitar. I am now curious about the Towner bar. Rob2020, let us know how it is when you receive it!

17 hours ago, Otter359 said:

I have thought about putting a plate on it and found a place that customizes the words on the plate. I thought about getting a plate that said "Woody" or "Blondie" for the guitar. I am now curious about the Towner bar. Rob2020, let us know how it is when you receive it!

I will certainly let folks know how it is after I receive it -- and +1 for you customizing the words on the plate

It doesn't look like you need any more tension on your bridge.  The break angle is about right already.  The strings shouldn't pop out of the bridge slots.

Heritage plants their bridges into studs.  The bridges won't rock like some Gibbonss and Gretsches.  Heritage relied on roller bridges.

The Gibbons "Custom Made" plates were a pragmatic solution to how their production worked.  The bodies were made in large numbers with stop bar tailpiece holes.  Some had Bigsbys added after the fact, the Bigsby company being conveniently next door to the Gibbons plant.  Gibbons covered the holes with the plates.  So yes, the guitar was custom made but not from the onset.  Heritage tagged the guitars that would leave their plant with Bigsbys at the beginning of the build.  The custom made plate generally was not needed in a Heritage that was ordered with a Bigsby.

I have seen a few Heritages with the plate covering the bridge holes.  It strikes me as weird.  While there may be exceptions, the custom made plate is misleading.  It should say "postproduction alteration".

Am I overthinking this?  Of course.

Archived