Heritage Owners Club

Building a New Acoustic Guitar Pedal Board

rockabilly69

Last week I finished up my pedal board for my dual pickup National resonators, and then I started building a new daily gigging board. I wanted a board with presets for my songs, but I wanted something with a good analog front end. I tested the guts of it today (the JHS Colour Box, the MXR comp, and the HX Stomp), and it sounded great. I'm just waiting for a special cable for the AC DRIVER DI (for XLR balanced out, and to isolate the 48 Volt Phantom power), and a new Xotic Volume pedal (Xotic XVP-25K).

The Acoustic Board.jpg

Just curious here....as a big fan of the line 6 stuff (I have the Helix Rack, POD GO and HX FX, G75 Wireless) could you not find a worthwhile compressor or something to replace the Color Box within the Stomp? I have also really gotten into using the Mission XPression pedals with the Line 6 stuff to control....well, just about everything.

I have not used my HX FX with an acoustic but seeing your pedal board really got me planning! Oh, man....the Grace Felix, the HX FX with the Mission pedal....Thanks a lot!

rick

Sometimes I spend more time planning my stuff out than actually playing. I guess it's better than snorting cocaine or something....maybe the same price though....

20 minutes ago, rwinking said:

Just curious here....as a big fan of the line 6 stuff (I have the Helix Rack, POD GO and HX FX, G75 Wireless) could you not find a worthwhile compressor or something to replace the Color Box within the Stomp? I have also really gotten into using the Mission XPression pedals with the Line 6 stuff to control....well, just about everything.

I have not used my HX FX with an acoustic but seeing your pedal board really got me planning! Oh, man....the Grace Felix, the HX FX with the Mission pedal....Thanks a lot!

rick

Sometimes I spend more time planning my stuff out than actually playing. I guess it's better than snorting cocaine or something....maybe the same price though....

Being that EQ and compression are the important factors in dialing in the sound I want to hear, I would prefer to have them right under my fingers, every thing else I'll get from the HX Stomp. The HX Stomp FX are icing on the cake! I like that the compressor keeps the signal in check before it hits the HX Stomp. And I like the ability to tailor the signal before it hits the comp!

My other two pedal boards have Grace preamps (Alix and Felix), so I wanted to try the Colour Box as it's such a good sounding preamp! And I like Mission pedals too, but I really wanted to try the smaller Xotic pedal. 

As for time planning, I started laying the ground work for this one a while ago :)

7 hours ago, JeffB said:

What brand board is that? Looks good.

https://reverb.com/item/37941281-samp-custom-pedalboard-2020-purple

Samp Custom, the guy is in Belarus, and as you can imagine, it took a lot of time for it to get to me with customs:) Before I ordered it, I did a layout of what pedals I wanted to combine and the when I got all of the dimensions I looked for a board that would fit my needs. He also supplied a nice gig bag with it that will easily hold all the pedals I need to use with it. I still need to add a panel mount XLR out jack on the left side, and hardwire the power cable from the power supply (Truetone CS6) to the power jack on the right side. I also have to hardwire the cable that will go to my volume pedal to the 1/4" input jack on the right side. 

Don't know if you have ever tried one, but I have also gotten fond of the pedalsnake. Using the pedalsnake I can run 4CM into my fx loop and have just the one cable. I have heard a few people complain about tone suck from it but either my ears are worn out from years of loud playing or it is not an issue. My stuff sounds the same with or without it. It just saves a lot of space and even has one line that sends power to the board/HX FX/Stomp or whatever.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:44 PM, rwinking said:

I have also really gotten into using the Mission XPression pedals with the Line 6 stuff to control....well, just about everything.

The Xotic volume pedal that I ordered got lost in a FedEX shipping situation, so I wound up ordering a Mission VM Pro for this board, which I have used before with acoustics, and I got it from a west coast supplier so I could hopefully avoid the shipping issues!

9 hours ago, Conneazoo said:

That JHS Color Box is super nice. Lots of great tones in that thing. 

Good lookin' rig. Hope it serves you well. 

I just got my Mission volume pedal today! I have a gig tomorrow, but when I get home from that gig, I am going to mount the pedal and have the board ready for 5 gigs next week.

Finally got a few gigs under my belt with this new pedal board. First day SUCKED, all the presets I made didn't translate at stage volume, I wound up putting the HX stomp on bypass until I could take a break and pull back the mix levels on the trem/delays/reverbs. I also had the input level on the compressor too hot, and it was killing my dynamics. And the volume pedal was cutting out at the top of its travel. I found out that I had to hit an internal switch while using my active pickup equipped acoustic. Got that figured out, and by the end of the gig, I had a few reasonably good sounding presets in the HX Stomp. The next day I did two two gigs, and they were a total 180. Every preset sounded great, and compressor really shined. My ears were telling me the metering wasn't quite as fast as the actual compression, so I adjusted accordingly, and now the compressor is really getting the job done, slightly fatting up my tone, and keeping check on my heavy-handed-ness. And today I did two more gigs and by the end of these two gigs I was programming on the fly! Nothing like babtism by fire. Here's some shots from today's outdoor gig...

CS Crew.jpg

CS Rig.jpg

Pedals To The Metal.jpg

Archived